Perfect player developmemt Topic

Excluding any other factors (like maximizing team control and maybe even injury risk), what is the way to develop a prospect the most? Would he develop more if thrust right into the majors so as to be under the tutelage of the best coaches? How much more does a player improve under coaching with 80s in relevant categories instead of 60s? Also, the more ABs and IP the better?

I've been trying to figure out if I "maximize" player development...
6/11/2015 6:47 PM
If anyone answers this definitively, just redline their lying ***.

IMO, you could put a player with your best coach, play him at 100% all the time, have 20m in training and that would be the best you could develop him.    But there is no way to know this to be fact. 
6/11/2015 7:55 PM
Starting my 18 year olds in rookie for a year then promoting them once a season and letting them rake until they are 22. Then promote to the majors.

I have no idea what to do with College kids. I never draft em.
6/11/2015 10:33 PM
I used to make a guy spend a lot of time in the minors. (at least four seasons) Now, if they are good enough, I call them up after 2 or 3. I have noticed no difference in how they develop. This season I picked up a 19 year international free agent and am debating on calling him up at the end of the season because he is already the best 1B I have. I am a little worried about calling him up too fast still, considering he projects to be a superstar. Anybody have experience in calling someone up too early?
6/12/2015 10:35 AM
They will tell you that age doesn't matter and only ratings do, but I've never had a super young guy play well at the ML level.  Maybe they can, I don't know.  I tried a couple and it didn't go well until they got older.  Could be coincidence, but I just don't risk wasting their cheap years any more.
6/12/2015 11:26 AM
Posted by heinzkill on 6/12/2015 10:35:00 AM (view original):
I used to make a guy spend a lot of time in the minors. (at least four seasons) Now, if they are good enough, I call them up after 2 or 3. I have noticed no difference in how they develop. This season I picked up a 19 year international free agent and am debating on calling him up at the end of the season because he is already the best 1B I have. I am a little worried about calling him up too fast still, considering he projects to be a superstar. Anybody have experience in calling someone up too early?
I've called up plenty after 1-3 seasons in the minors.  This one comes to mind immediately.   No harm was done to their development.    You can't see his development but it was as expected.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Greg Wood
6/12/2015 12:16 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 6/11/2015 10:33:00 PM (view original):
Starting my 18 year olds in rookie for a year then promoting them once a season and letting them rake until they are 22. Then promote to the majors.

I have no idea what to do with College kids. I never draft em.
Jus curious - is the advantage of starting a prospect in rookie league? I almost never get coaches in rookie league with an IQ of more than 50-55. And in my experience , most 18 year olds who are worth drafting seem to do just fine at low or high A.
6/15/2015 1:22 PM
I too never put anyone worthwhile in RL. Saves me a few thousand on coaches.
6/15/2015 8:49 PM
I put my new draftees and IFAs in either high or low A, depending on their age/current ratings/ coaches' abilities. At the end of the season, I promote them one level, since that seems to I've them am extra ratings update about 50% of the time. So a typical prospect starts at A ball, plays at AA in year 2, starts at AAA in year 3. If he's a truly good prospect, he's good enough for the majors in his fourth year, or even after 20 games in his third year. If not, I'll leave him in AAA for a couple years.

6/17/2015 12:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/12/2015 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by heinzkill on 6/12/2015 10:35:00 AM (view original):
I've called up plenty after 1-3 seasons in the minors.  This one comes to mind immediately.   No harm was done to their development.    You can't see his development but it was as expected.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Greg Wood
Concur.
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alcides Johnson Came to the majors about 1/3 of the way through his 19 year old season and OPS'd .887 for the remainder.  Nothing about his performance or development has seemed to suffer.
6/19/2015 11:18 PM
It is a myth perpetuated by tankers
6/19/2015 11:57 PM
I give them at least 4, but more like 5 years in the minors (generally draft high schoolers) as it takes time for them to be better than my starters, but more importantly, I do not want to pay major league rates / arbitration for development
6/21/2015 8:31 PM
A well meaning owner in my league told me I have butchered thus players development.

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6826107

Season 16 he started/finished: 60/71 overall, four point increase in range and arm strength 8 in glove, 6 in accuracy, 60/71 contact, 74/83 power, 46/52 v.l. 59/66 v.r. And 64/70 batting eye.

I don't have his ratings from the time he was drafted, but in season 15 he improved from a 52-60 overall.

I hadn't received this criticism when I started this thread, but now that I have... What does everyone think? Did I hinder his development so far?
6/22/2015 12:00 PM
Spending a year with a 55 HC in AA wouldn't maximize his development, but I wouldn't say you butchered anything. When stuck with a lower AA HC than you had in HiA, you probably should have sent him down before ST or moved him to AAA. Some people believe it's better to start all prospects in Rookie or Low A and then move them up once or twice a season. Others put top prospects at whatever level has the best coaching and will provide playing time. Neither belief is proven to the point where the other could be called wrong.
6/22/2015 2:18 PM
Maybe they will change it some with the update but unless you do something like just don't play the guy he will develop.  By looking through history you can come up with a pretty good formula about how players develop that is pretty consistent throughout the league.  I've promoted at least two 18 years straight to the majors and a large number after a single season and when I compare them at the end of the career they are right on track to owners that were methodical with prospects and they spent 3-5 seasons in the minors.  
6/23/2015 7:18 PM
12 Next ▸
Perfect player developmemt Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.