How to use Spring Training Topic

Through 3 games, I am 0-3, with none of them close.  I am not worried about this.  I am throwing my starters a max of 50 pitches, to get them a little work.  I am also rotating my major guys.  I am trying to get a bunch of guys some experience and some ABs.  I am pinch hitting a lot as well.

So far, I am not alarmed in any way.  I feel like I have some solid guys when I actually have my pitchers who are in the ML pitching all 9 innings.

My question is, how do you use spring training to be helpful or what can I learn from spring training?  Or is it just window dressing and I shouldn't concern myself with it?

7/31/2015 10:05 PM
I already have one guy injured for a brief period and I put him on the DL to protect him, and so that I can have an extra guy up on opening day.  It is my youngest pitcher who will probably be assigned to mop up duty and be my "day before rest day" starter.
7/31/2015 10:06 PM
Play your prospects a lot.

I give everyone else, including current BL players, around 10 AB or 3 pitching appearances.

Nothing to learn.    I often win my first 3 games, getting my BL position players their 10 AB, and lose 12 of the next 15 as I may have a C on SS in order to get him some AB.
8/1/2015 6:47 AM
I give my ML'ers the same Mike does, but then "try" to have fun the rest of the way.  I'll use all of the SS's one game or use 9 90+ power guys like a home run derby the next.  
8/1/2015 12:15 PM
Mike and Aaron are right:  hold back your vets and starters.  Not mentioned: for the position players this has a really big effect on season-long fatigue.  Players who are held out of spring training can often go another few weeks of regular season games before they show fatigue.  For elite players, that's a big bonus.  

The fact that Spring Training has no tangible benefit for player performance in the regular season is a problem in this game.  ML players should need to knock the rust off in real games, but in this simulation, nope.  Let them keep doing yoga and shagging lazy fly balls.  
8/18/2015 2:52 PM
Young players' development seems to get a boost from ST appearances. That would be a tangible benefit.
8/18/2015 3:32 PM
How to use Spring Training Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.