Extensions vs Player options Topic

I have this player - Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alexander Capra on my Mauer squad. I inherited the team at the beginning of last season, and while he still had useful hitting skills, his $18 million dollar paycheck has been a huge drag. He's been fading badly.

He had a player option for next year that I figured he would definitely pick up. There seemed no resolution here. I sought some help. Feedback I got was:

1) Bury him in the minors. Capra would then be so disheartened he'd retire. No one has seen where this has worked.

2) Package him with a top player and trade him away. I had seen where csherwood did that in his WKRP string. I started negotiating a deal on this. But in the end, it would take a hell of a top player to make that happen and it didn't seem like a good idea. Even with $27 million in total savings.

Then, while recently looking at Free Agents for next year, he showed up. Didn't think of that. I extended him for $1.8 million.

After a few days I'm wondering - did extending him for season 28 really save me $16 million and change? Or is he basically giving up $18 million for $1.8 million?

8/16/2015 1:50 PM
Pretty sure his option was for the season you are in now and you just signed him for an additional season at 1.8
8/16/2015 3:20 PM
Posted by cctigerfan on 8/16/2015 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure his option was for the season you are in now and you just signed him for an additional season at 1.8
Yep. Season 27 was the fifth and final year of his expensive contract. That he'd sign for $1.8M shows just how overpaid he was at the end of the deal.
8/16/2015 3:38 PM
Maybe I have been reading the contract screen wrong all along. So you are saying he was signed to a 4 year/$59.5 contract with a 5th year $18 million dollar option? The option year was season 27?

8/17/2015 6:23 AM
Yes.  The option season was S27.  You can see on the transaction tab that he accepted his player option at rollover.  You then signed him for an additional season.

Transaction Type: All
Season Date Franchise Transaction
27 8/12/2015 5:20 PM Rebels Contract Extension
27 7/14/2015 5:27 PM Rebels Added To Trading Block
27 5/26/2015 9:38 PM Rebels Accept Option

8/17/2015 7:07 AM
Either you're confused about the option/season (it happens) or there's a bug - the explanations above all make sense.
8/17/2015 7:09 AM
In other words, the option season is always the final year of the contract as listed on the contract page.  It's not an additional season.
8/17/2015 7:22 AM
Got it. Thanks all. I misinterpreted the screen. At least I know know. And at least I didn't resign Capra for $10 million!
8/17/2015 11:51 AM
fwiw,

I had two players on one of my teams with options years ahead of them.  it was an old squad of mine, that I moved on for a while for personal reasons, but came back 2+ seasons (and 4 owners) later when life became a little less hectic.  anyhoo, both of these guys were solid all stars "back in the day" when I had them in my first go around, but both were aging well, definetly not ML level.  I designated both players with waivers, once they passed thru, I put them down in either High A or Low A ball, they both declined their option and retired the following season.

Here is the pitcher1:

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1804013

Here is pitcher 2:

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1803419

after looking at it, I was wrong, they didn't straight up retire, they declined their option and went to free agency, not to be resigned the following season by anyone.

8/20/2015 10:16 AM
Extensions vs Player options Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.