Looking for "Extreme" Suggestions Topic

I'm probably late to the suggestion party, but I think it would be interesting to see how many games you could win with nothing. IE, release everyone and only use WW pickups, FA leftovers, and Rule 5. Trade for other teams AAAA players who have been languishing in the minors. I tried this once and won over 90 games and made the playoffs. But I asked about everyone that was offered on WC and took salary dumps. I never traded anyone more worthy than a big league bench, but got tons of talent. I also spent max on scouting and signed big IFA ("don't want to mortgage the future"). I guess it proved you don't need to tank to win, difference is, not everyone was trying to win in that world, made it a lot easier. Could you avoid 100 losses with this strategy in a world where everyone is going for it? This would be extremely fun for me to try and interesting.
8/21/2015 2:52 PM
It's time-consuming-- but if you do the "ejections" strategy you could actually learn something valuable by tracking whether your team actually plays better in the half-inning, inning, etc. after a managerial ejection (as was supposed to be programmed).  If you were highly argumentative at all levels you might get enough ejections to get a worthwhile sample size.  

Needless to say, I won't fault you if you don't spend/waste the time reading every minor league box score and setting up a spreadsheet for each inning.
8/21/2015 3:00 PM
Posted by foulballz on 8/21/2015 2:52:00 PM (view original):
I'm probably late to the suggestion party, but I think it would be interesting to see how many games you could win with nothing. IE, release everyone and only use WW pickups, FA leftovers, and Rule 5. Trade for other teams AAAA players who have been languishing in the minors. I tried this once and won over 90 games and made the playoffs. But I asked about everyone that was offered on WC and took salary dumps. I never traded anyone more worthy than a big league bench, but got tons of talent. I also spent max on scouting and signed big IFA ("don't want to mortgage the future"). I guess it proved you don't need to tank to win, difference is, not everyone was trying to win in that world, made it a lot easier. Could you avoid 100 losses with this strategy in a world where everyone is going for it? This would be extremely fun for me to try and interesting.
I did this too.   But only WW claims, players who cleared waivers(I waived everyone on my BL team) and unsigned FA at the end of FA.  I named them Leftovers.   I won 78 under poiuyt.   I think it was Foxx but don't remember the season.
8/21/2015 3:25 PM
Posted by foulballz on 8/21/2015 2:52:00 PM (view original):
If you could see the rosters that were generated, most teams are filled with this stuff anyway.
8/21/2015 6:26 PM
Go the 3 True Outcomes extreme. See whether running up opponent pitch counts is actually viable.
8/25/2015 2:00 PM
Can you expand on 3 True Outcomes? Never heard of it
8/25/2015 6:09 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
No making any statement about what the "true" outcomes are, but just the phrase that is commonly used.<br />
<br />
The idea is that those three outcomes - walk, K, HR - are the only outcomes that are truly independent of the other players on the field. In short, those are the things entirely in control of the pitcher vs. batter matchup, without being impacted by those in the field.
8/25/2015 9:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So I'm going with the extreme defense option.  Here are the shortstops that I've been able to acquire, and the positions I'm considering for each:

NOTE: defensive ratings are (range, glove, arm strength, arm accuracy).

1B - Jed Hughes (82-90-95-96)
2B - Alex Woda (87-89-95-89)
3B - Juan Giminez (89-85-96-95)
SS - Josh Wisler (91-91-95-92)
LF - Yovani Chavez (88-85-91-90)
CF - Kenta Lee (89-89-91-92)
RF - Joe Andrews (84-88-89-99)

Bench - JD Kubinski (85-86-81-88)

My two catchers (who will platoon):

C - Stan Kozma (11-37-79-76, PC = 97)
C - Terry Guerrero (17-37-76-84, PC = 94)

And to round out my position player roster, I have:

Bench - Skip McCarty (80-86-51-61) - LH thrower, so restricted to 1B and OF - can hit, so likely will platoon as DH against RHP
Bench - Ryne Wagner (81-85-56-61)
DH - Jim Blevens (0-25-64-68, PC = 38) - decent bat, will platoon as DH against LHP

I'm going to still work towards upgrading (if possible) any of these players, but as of right now (ST games started today) this is my 13 man position player part of my roster.

Looking for any feedback on defensive assignments.
8/28/2015 9:05 AM (edited)
I might flipflop LF/RF.    We sort of know what's going to happen in LF so I'd want the better fielder in RF to see how much he can improve on a "normal" RF.
8/28/2015 8:30 AM
I was thinking the better arm (89-99 over 91-90) would belong in in RF.  I'm curious as to why you would consider Chavez better in RF over Andrews?
8/28/2015 8:36 AM
4 points in range, 2 points in accuracy.    Assuming the arm ratings work similar to how they do with catchers, no one will run on a 99 A/S(may not run on a 90) which would negate the possibility of throwing out runners.
8/28/2015 8:50 AM
You've got arm strength and arm accuracy reversed.  Chavez is 91 AS, 90 AA.  Andrews is 89 AS, 99 AA.

I'll update the post to note that.

8/28/2015 9:04 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/28/2015 9:05:00 AM (view original):
So I'm going with the extreme defense option.  Here are the shortstops that I've been able to acquire, and the positions I'm considering for each:

NOTE: defensive ratings are (range, glove, arm strength, arm accuracy).

1B - Jed Hughes (82-90-95-96)
2B - Alex Woda (87-89-95-89)
3B - Juan Giminez (89-85-96-95)
SS - Josh Wisler (91-91-95-92)
LF - Yovani Chavez (88-85-91-90)
CF - Kenta Lee (89-89-91-92)
RF - Joe Andrews (84-88-89-99)

Bench - JD Kubinski (85-86-81-88)

My two catchers (who will platoon):

C - Stan Kozma (11-37-79-76, PC = 97)
C - Terry Guerrero (17-37-76-84, PC = 94)

And to round out my position player roster, I have:

Bench - Skip McCarty (80-86-51-61) - LH thrower, so restricted to 1B and OF - can hit, so likely will platoon as DH against RHP
Bench - Ryne Wagner (81-85-56-61)
DH - Jim Blevens (0-25-64-68, PC = 38) - decent bat, will platoon as DH against LHP

I'm going to still work towards upgrading (if possible) any of these players, but as of right now (ST games started today) this is my 13 man position player part of my roster.

Looking for any feedback on defensive assignments.
Some entire worlds dont have fielders that good.  How did you acquire them?  Was this world generated like any other new world?  What are their bats like?  
8/28/2015 8:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Looking for "Extreme" Suggestions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.