How to lose a comish in 10 days by WIS CS Topic

Well they finally made the switch and hopefully in a few hours they will replace me as commissioner.
8/27/2015 11:25 AM
Just to be fair. They also apologized again and it was more than a canned sorry for the inconvenience but I just don't need the aggravation. Especially since my post on the 26th at 9:01 told them the world was 21 games in yet they couldn't be bothered to verify it at that time. Instead they continued to insist they were right and even threw out the old "We rewrote our policies" and "We can choose to disregard any request to replace an absent owner at any time"

Matthew,

Please check again to verify the transfer has occurred.

To clarify this situation, on your initial request to have the team transferred from dwboyce to mccarthyizm, we mistakenly viewed another world that had not yet begun and decided that it is best to try to notify dwboyce that he was at risk of being replaced if he did not check in within 48 hours. We realize now that the world's regular season was already underway and that we should have made the replacement at that time since he was clearly absent. This was all on our end and it caused frustration to you and the rest of the world and for that we apologize.

You have been a great user on our site, especially for HardBall, and we hope that this one experience does not drive you from remaining as the commissioner of this world. We certainly understand if you do still want to be replaced as acting commissioner of NO QUITTERS!!!! and will transfer the title to (name deleted) if you wish.

Thank you, and again, we are sorry for any frustration or inconveniences we have caused.
8/27/2015 11:37 AM (edited)
I obviously wasn't even involved in this scenario and it rubs me the wrong way. If anything, being present for the signings/hirings/organizational moves that happen before the season starts is more important to the success of your team than being around during the season. I think it's silly they insist on waiting until the season starts, leaving the franchise with **** coaches and no benefits from free agency.
8/27/2015 12:41 PM
Oh I've had coaches replaced during those times. This was just somebody, or as Mike said a few different people, refusing to look deeper into a situation after they were told they were mistaken.

I've gotten over it since soon it won't be my issue to deal with CS anymore. I admire commissioners like Mike more now that I see how difficult it can be to deal with CS.
8/27/2015 1:04 PM
Their apology leads me to believe you were definitely dealing with 2 or more people.    I've had my worst experiences on the weekend.   I'm not sure they even answer weekend tickets anymore but I'm almost certain they were using an angry mentally challenged individual for CS on the weekends a few years ago.
8/27/2015 2:08 PM

FYI, during pre-season, it's 5 days.   That sucks a little, as they miss budgeting, coach rehire, FA re-sign, simmy arbs, but it doesn't doom a team.   I've not been in the situation so I don't know how they handle an owner who misses a month while the world fills and then the button is pushed.   I'd hope they refund his credit and let the commish find a new owner before hitting approve.

8/27/2015 2:11 PM
Just to clarify on what crickett13 has expressed:

It is common that some owners miss the email notification that tells them a world has rolled over into a new season. There have been times we have made replacements early on only to have the original owner come back and ask where their team went. We are told they were in the hospital, on vacation, etc, and couldn't sign in right away when the world rolled over and now their team is gone. Due to this issue, we try to reach out to owners early on in the season and ask them to check in on their team(s) if they have been absent for a long period of time.

If the regular season has not started, and you have an owner that isn't checking in, please let us know, and we will try to contact them. After the start of the regular season, if a team is absent for more than 14 days, we can make a replacement. We always would prefer to try to contact the original owner and have them return to the team over simply making the replacement, but given that owners do sometimes go absent for long periods of time without notification or response, we make the transfers. 

We clearly dropped the ball on crickett13's case, and did not fully understand where the world was at that point, and for that we have apologized, but it should be noted, we were only trying to get the original owner to come back to his team, other than replace him with a new owner since the world was at an early point in the season.

Crickett13, we apologize that you had an unfortunate experience, and are disappointed that it lead to you stepping down as the commissioner. We hope that any future contact you may have with us will go much better and that goes for all other owners as well.

Thank you,

WIS CS

8/27/2015 2:48 PM
I like how they apologize, admit they dropped the ball and then in the same breath note how they were justified in their actions because they were only trying to get the original owner back.

You should have stopped at we screwed up. Now I'm sure I never want to have contact with you again
8/27/2015 8:15 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
But Mike! How would WIS even function without you for 3 DAYS!!!
8/28/2015 7:24 AM
I'm not sure why you say I would do that since I never have in the past.

I had already posted the apology they sent to me which included an explanation. I think they looked pretty good in that one

The new post has the tone of a justification.

I think they were better off without the new post. Plain and simple. 
8/28/2015 8:38 AM
I didn't say you would do it.   I just said I thought it would be funny if I got banned for 3 days while defending them.

The reason for their post was a "horse's mouth" sort of thing.   And they want to fully explain their policy. 

As a commish, if an owner had reserved but not checked in for an extended period(perhaps not at all during the playoffs) and not respond to sitemail, I'd ask ADMIN to remove the owner(thus refunding their credit) before I hit approve and find a replacement.   That way the MIA user isn't out of any money.   He simply lost his team.
8/28/2015 8:47 AM

Most customer service representatives are trained to voice apologies when handling complaint calls but they are rarely trained to do so correctly. Consider the following scenario:

A customer calls a contact center to complain about a new video camera that malfunctioned after only two days, erasing everything the customer had taped. The representative jumps in and says, “I’m sorry your video camera malfunctioned” and then goes on to tell the customer the “good news”, that their warrantee provides them free parts and labor at a nearby service center and a turnaround time of only two to four weeks.

The representative apologized, named the issue correctly and even offered a solution. The vast majority of companies would consider such an apology acceptable and sufficient—but is it?

What if the footage the customer lost in the malfunctioning camera was the birth of his first child; images of his wife holding their newborn daughter, the joy and tears they both felt after years of undergoing fertility treatments, precious moments lost forever? Would “I’m sorry your video camera malfunctioned” represent a sufficient apology then?

The reason many companies fall short in the apology department is that truly effective apologies are more complicated to pull off than we realize.  

What Science Discovered about Effective Apologies

Despite years of research into conflict resolution and forgiveness, the role of apologies in most studies are typically noted by their absence or presence alone (i.e., whether an apology was offered or not). But recent studies have found that beyond mere expressions of regret (“I’m sorry”), three additional components play a crucial role in determining whether an apology will be effective in eliciting forgiveness and mending relationship ruptures:

(A) Expressions of empathy

(B) Adequate offers of compensation

(C) Acknowledging that certain norms and expectations were violated.

While most companies offer some form or redress or compensation (for example, fixing or replacing a malfunctioning video camera) they are not always adequate. Further, statements of empathy and acknowledgments that certain norms and expectation were violated are rarely expressed by service representatives.

How Customer Service Representatives Should Apologize

The two biggest mistakes service representatives make when apologizing (though it is of note that there are still companies whose representatives fail to voice apologies of any kind) are:

(A) Doing so too soon.

(B) Having a one size fits all formula such as “I’m sorry you had trouble with [blank]”.

Such approaches are easy to teach and therefore they might reduce a company’s contact center training costs in the short term, but the company will lost revenue in the long run because such apologies contribute to unsuccessful service recoveries, lead to poor customer retention and foster poor word of mouth.

Effective apologies must adhere to the following principles:

1. Customer service representatives should only apologize after allowing the customer to express their complaint fully. Until they know what exactly they are apologizing for, any statement of regret they make will not seem authentic to the customer.

2. The representative must offer an empathic statement that reflects the customer’s perception of their problem’s severity. In our example, something like, “Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear that! I can only imagine how upset you must feel,” or “Oh, I am truly sorry this happened on such an important occasion!” would be much closer to expressing the necessary amount of empathy for such an unfortunate incident.

3. When relevant, the representative should acknowledge the problem the customer encountered represents a clear departure from what customers should expect from the company ordinarily (i.e., that the company too finds it unacceptable). For example, “We take pride in our products and it is extremely rare for one to malfunction this way right out of the box. Again, I cannot tell you how sorry I am for this to have happened.”

4. The goal of offering compensation (by having the item fixed or replaced) is to restore a sense of justice and fairness. In our example, having the video camera fixed is insufficient as it is a standard procedure that does nothing to acknowledge the customer’s unique circumstance. The representative could state the standard procedure but then offer to overnight the customer a replacement so he does not miss capturing any more of his daughter’s first days or offer another form of unusual compensatory action. Making such gestures is vital to restoring the customer’s sense of justice and fairness and by doing so, rendering the representative’s apologies both convincing and ultimately effective.

Of course, there is more to a successful service recovery than an apology alone. In our example the representative must make sure the customer has no other issues or dissatisfactions, they must collect all the pertinent information and file the necessary paperwork. After the call, they should follow up, first to confirm the replacement video camera arrived in the timeframe stated to the customer and then by calling or emailing the customer to verify they are satisfied with the resolution offered to them.

Summary

If a company’s service recoveries are to be successful, it is crucial for companies to train their service representatives to apologize correctly. Lackluster or insincere sounding apologies are often as bad as no apology at all and they can end up hurting the company by contributing to negative word of mouth and increased customer attrition.

On the other hand, effective apologies can repair and strengthen the core relationship between companies and their customers by building trust and confidence in the company. Companies whose representatives apologize effectively will see gains in customer loyalty and an increase in positive word of mouth.

Elton John was only half right: Sorry might be the hardest word—but it’s not an impossible one.

Copyright 2010 Guy Winch Ph.D.

1. A clear 'I'm sorry' statement.

2. An expression of regret for what happened.

3. An acknowledgment that social norms or expectations were violated.

4. An empathy statement acknowledging the full impact of our actions on the other person.

5. A request for forgiveness.

8/28/2015 4:46 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
How to lose a comish in 10 days by WIS CS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.