Draft - What To Do? Topic

This was a player I drafted' status

Signability: Looking to be drafted in the first round. If not, he'll probably accept a scholarship to play DI college baseball.

I took him Round 1, 10th Overall

I get this:

Your offer is fair, but I'm still not sure about what I want to do. Going to college would sure make my folks happy, but playing pro ball would make me happy. I'll let you know what I decide.

What should I do?
8/31/2015 5:03 PM
No more bids. Wait and see. If he decides to sign with you he probably will ask for a small increase. Anything more you give up in the meantime is just you bidding against yourself.
8/31/2015 5:24 PM
Ben Cherington is available if you want someone to handle bidding against yourself for you.
8/31/2015 5:33 PM
I appreciate the humor Josh

I am basically trying to find out if you all believe he will sign, or if I'm the future, I need to draft only slot guys?
8/31/2015 5:55 PM
The question is "What can you do now?"

The right answer has been posted.
8/31/2015 6:39 PM
I guess going forward, my follow up question is: is a guy who says he wants to sign in the 1st round - if you can draft him in the 1st round, is it a bad idea, or should you just move on to the next guy? 

Is this something that is common, or is it rare?  Do I just need to draft slot only guys?

8/31/2015 8:34 PM
Ignore the draft because this game is stupid and it should die.
8/31/2015 8:39 PM
Posted by ahausla on 8/31/2015 8:34:00 PM (view original):
I guess going forward, my follow up question is: is a guy who says he wants to sign in the 1st round - if you can draft him in the 1st round, is it a bad idea, or should you just move on to the next guy? 

Is this something that is common, or is it rare?  Do I just need to draft slot only guys?

Unless a player is "Looking to sign. Will sign for slot money." there will likely be some degree of wait to sign him.  He may want to wait, think about college, think about basketball; he may come back after awhile and ask for a little more money, or he may come back after awhile and ask for a LOT more money.  There's a chance he might just not sign at all, but there's also a slim chance "Won't sign" guys might actually sign.

Bottom line, if you have an early pick and ease of conversion is a priority for you, set your first round Signing Risk to "Very Conservative" - and/or take all the players beside "Slot Money" out of your manual rankings.

8/31/2015 8:51 PM
Ok
That sounds easy enough

I guess the follow up question is, what is the likelihood such a player signs? I am finding out the hard way how this game is not intended to mimic real life because there is no way, top 3 round picks don't sign, especially when offered the money they ask for.
8/31/2015 9:11 PM
In terms of mimicking RL, HBD was set up when was more volatility in the draft and players drafted in the first round sometimes were not signed. Only when MLB got tired of Scott Boras taking them to 11:59 p.m. on deadline night demanding huge bonuses did they institute specific slot payments and the current system of tying teams' bonus pool to the number and quality of their picks. Even so sometime picks don't sign. In June, 4 of the top 68 picks did not sign, including a first-rounder. On average since 2010, about 10% of the first 50 picks don't sign. In 2010, 3 of the first 14 did not sign. MLB lists signing dates back through 2009 and since then there has been one draft in which every first-round pick signed.

For HBD, I don' think anyone can give you an answer more firm than there's a better than 50-50 shot he'll come back asking for more money and sign. Whether that's 55% or 80% I don't know. Personally, I want the best player I can get, and if that means occasionally waiting a season for a compensation pick I'm fine with it. The only time I use Very Conservative is if I have a comp pick in the first round. If I have Supplemental-round picks, I set that to Very Conservative because you don't get a comp pick the next season if those players don't sign.

8/31/2015 9:53 PM
Except when Boras was doing it, they weren't meeting demands. 

As far as I know, everyone in this game meets the demands of their 1st round picks.  What is the point of having "demands" if they don't mean anything.  The very definition of the term "demands" is what a player will sign if he gets.  Now, if they need to start elevating "demands", sobeit.  But sorry, this is broken.

8/31/2015 10:34 PM (edited)
The system isn't broken. It can do exactly what you want by using Very Conservative while allowing more daring owners to risk not signing players in exchange for possibly getting better prospects. If you think every pick should sign, you can make it happen without affecting the strategic options available to those who want them.
8/31/2015 11:26 PM
A word of note: Anything after rounds 2-5 should probably be set to very conservative or conservative. No point spending $6 million on a player thats probably never gonna be a BLer.
9/1/2015 6:51 AM
Didn't the Astros fail to sign the #1 overall pick a few seasons ago?
9/1/2015 7:07 AM
Posted by bbqjason on 8/31/2015 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Ignore the draft because this game is stupid and it should die.
9/1/2015 7:29 AM
123 Next ▸
Draft - What To Do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.