Lineup Advice - #2 slot Topic

I started the season with this player batting second:

ratings contact/power/VsLeft/VsRight/eye/BR/speed

Deivi  Tatis   89 64 45 43 68 76 84

I picked him because of his 89 contact, seemed good for a guy who is going to hit and run alot.   But since simmy seems to prefer the straight steel that seems less relevant, am I thinking of swapping him with one of these two guys who bat 8th and 9th at the moment.

These guys are all righties.   My 1st and 3rd hitters are lefties.   any thoughts?   I am still at a loss to figure what kind of BA/OBP to expect from different ratings.

Ross Stein    68 69 75 73 61 72 68
Alen Rossy   78 2 66 63 70 76 42
1/21/2016 11:43 AM
I'd try Stein 2nd, his splits are 30 points higher vs. LHP and RHP.  What are Stein's previous season's #'s?

My projection on Tatis..may suite better in 8th hole or leadof if need be.
Tatis .280-.290 avg. .365 obp 13hr  20 sb...

Rossy may fit well 9th to help you turn it over to the top of the lineup.

A tip that my old mentor boogerlips gave me was to spend some time looking at players ratings compared to their actual stats.  

1/21/2016 2:02 PM (edited)
Id find a new guy nether one would bat 1-6 for me.
1/21/2016 2:54 PM
thank you for the advice, Chisox.   I'll try Stein at 2.

To answer your question,
Rossy 292A VE / 361 OBP / 308 SLG at AAA
Stein 287 AVE / 263OBP/  476 SLG at ML

And yes I look at both stats and ratings, and the more I look the more confused I get.   Check this out:

Billy Morris 9 (yes 9 - 09 - 'nine' contact / 99 power / 55/53 splits / 99 eye - hit 279 with a 377 OBP!  contact of 9!   Obviously he hit a ton of homers.   But when I saw this guy, with his 9 contact, I thought 'he's Rob Deer or Dave Kingman.'   I was wrong, somehow he is more like Mark McGuire.   Hit 45 HR and went to the allstar game.

He hit for better average than Giovanni Kelleher whw's ratings are 73/58/63/61/66 and hit .264 with a 337 OBP and 422 SLG.

I am so confused!

1/21/2016 3:06 PM
I wonder if they changed how this game is played since a few years ago. I never remember a guy with 9 contact hitting over .270.

One thing is true, Power coupled with Eye leads to decent production at almost any level.

With Stein's OBP so low it would be hard for me to bat him 2nd. Seems more like a 6th or 7th hitter.
1/21/2016 3:24 PM
Sabermetrics says your best hitter should be in the two hole, not the three.  I try to go with that as much as I can.

1/21/2016 4:19 PM
Tatis will be a nice fit for your vsR lineup in the 2 spot.

I'd start with Stien in 2 vsL and go from there.

My strategy: 1 and 2 hitters get to second base at all cost (a walk or a single and a steal are my favorites)

3,4,5 are the power guys to drive them home.
1/21/2016 6:25 PM
thanks for the advice.    it leads to another question.     My best hitter - I think - is in my number one slot.   77 - 81 - 92 - 92 - 65.  But he also has 90 speed - I have both SB and H&R set at 'average' and he has 4 SB in the first 3 games.    I am wondering if any of those might have been H&R?

I notice that in our player statistics it doesn't break down IBB from regular BB, but in the play-by-play it tells you when the walk is intentional.   Does the play-by-play also tell you when it is a hit and run?

1/21/2016 6:44 PM
It will say HR in blue in the left ledger. I'd up your base stealing to 'agressive'
1/21/2016 10:26 PM
Thanks Hockey.   I'll try Tatis/Styne at 2nd with the aggressive steeling for a series or two, see how it works.

1/21/2016 10:43 PM
Posted by deroches on 1/21/2016 10:43:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Hockey.   I'll try Tatis/Styne at 2nd with the aggressive steeling for a series or two, see how it works.

Just had a quick peek at your squad, I didn't look too closely but it's worth fiddling with 'aggressive' and 'very aggressive' for base stealing for your squad. I'm always hesitant to put 'very agressive' for anything because it often translates to 'very stupid' but with being in the AL you don't have to worry about your pitchers trying to steal 2nd (has happened to me lots). There are lots of things you can tweak with that squad to get you the best results for guys on base.

Best of luck.
1/22/2016 12:42 PM
Speaking of adjusting settings - thinking about playing with the double switch & defensive replacement settings.    Set on average, I am not seeing it happen, and the AI passes up some obviously beneficial substitution opportunities.   Say it's late and close and I am up, and my starting LF (good bat/mediocre glove) just ended the inning.   I have a good defensive CF/ around 80 range 80 glove - and a defensive replacement on the bench with 90+ glove and range.   The obvious play is the defensive sub replaces the LF in the lineup, so he may never bat, and he plays center field, nudging the starting CF to left.   Does the AI ever do things like this or is the double switch limited to the pitcher?
1/23/2016 10:44 AM
The AI will do this, but you have to make sure the CF you want in LF has LF listed as one of his secondary positions, and then update your defensive subs hierarchy. If it isn't how you want it, you can manually change it to force the guys you want in.
Also, make sure on your "manager settings" page that you have the box checked where it says "defensive subs if leading by 1 or more after 7th" (or similar). If you have any of those things set differently, it will not happen exactly like you want it to.
1/25/2016 2:22 PM
thanks outlaw, I think my def subs hierachy was the problem.
1/27/2016 8:49 PM
Posted by damag on 1/21/2016 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Sabermetrics says your best hitter should be in the two hole, not the three.  I try to go with that as much as I can.

Sabermetric pages I've seen usually play out lineups like this:
1st: one of best 3 hitters, highest OBP
2nd: one of best 3
3rd: 5th best hitter
4th: one of best 3, highest SLG
5th: 4th best hitter
and so on...
2/8/2016 3:23 PM
12 Next ▸
Lineup Advice - #2 slot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.