Anyone ever seen a player under 20 developed enough to play in the bigs? Just curious. In RL its not real uncommon wasn't sure about this game though.

2/18/2016 7:09 AM

yes, lots of guys are capable of playing in the big leagues during their age 20 season in this game. However, unlike real life, not everyone brings them up (raises my hand) and allows their prospects to fully mature (or close to it) for 3-4 seasons so that they don't see the show until their age 22 season.

2/18/2016 9:25 AM

If a players better then whom I have now they play now. Period. If a player in your minors is better then who you have on your ml team then imo your not trying to win.

2/18/2016 9:35 AM

Rarely there will be a 20 year old that is ready for the bigs. My normal procedure would be for a top prospect to spend 18, 19 and 20 in the minors Rookie, Hi A, AA. 21 years old they will start for 20 games in AAA and then get the call up to maximize the cheap control of the player.

If a 20 year old is ready AND my ML team needs him right away I will call them up after 20 games. That still gives me control of the guy until he is 30 years old. I have three total examples of this in my 6 teams right now. I will say that my experience is that guys tend to play below their ratings at 20 in a way they don't when I wait until 21. All thee of my most recent guys kind of struggled. Maybe skipping from Hi A to AAA then the ML so quick is a problem? Not sure if that is a legit thing or just SSS noise.

Player Profile: Masao Saito - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I have never called up a 19 year old to play in the bigs although if the guy was good enough and my team was competitive I would consider it.

2/18/2016 12:02 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 2/18/2016 9:35:00 AM (view original):

If a players better then whom I have now they play now. Period. If a player in your minors is better then who you have on your ml team then imo your not trying to win.

That's shortsighted. While I tend to agree users hold players back too long and "tear it down" too often, there are legit reasons to hold a better player back. I can see you've only played in a world more than 7 seasons once so maybe you can't see it. But I'll explain.

I signed a big money IFA. I thought he'd make it as a CF/2B but his range is going to fall short. He might be the best player on my team right now(3rd year) at 20 y/o. Problem is, he can only play LF/1B at the moment. D ratings are something like 76/58/52/56. My 1B is probably the 2nd best, only because he can only play 1B, on my team and my RF(who could play 2B/3B) is my 3rd best. My LF(could play RF) has 100 power and is putting up good numbers for the 2nd consecutive year. My current 2B/3B are OK but nothing special at the plate. So my option would be move RF to 2B/3B, LF to RF, send one of my three 2B/3B to the minors and promote my 20 y/o to play LF. And that was certainly an option in my mind before the season started. In fact, I used my R5 pick to take one of my 2B/3B to fill my 25 man roster. Sadly, the team I thought could contend is 9-15. All this moving around might net me another 2-5 wins over the course of the season. Right now, I'm going to finish with 60-65 wins. What would be the point of promoting a 20 y/o to reach 62-70? That said, if this team picks up the pace, I still have this move in my pocket. If not, he starts the season in the bigs next year when 3 of the LF/RF/2B/3B have expired contracts and I'll have my IFA until he's 31.

To me, this was the perfect blend of "playing to win now" and "planning for the future". The promotion all hinged on how we, and my division, started.

IOW, I don’t think there should ever be a “Period” in this game. At least not if you plan on staying in a world for more than one FA signing cycle(5 seasons).

2/18/2016 2:15 PM

I feel like

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7698563

could currently hit in the bigs but I'm in the NL, don't have the DH and would like to see him at least be a 1B so he gets one more year in the minors. I could see calling him up to the bigs at 20 which I have never done for anyone before.

2/18/2016 2:30 PM

My guy: Player Profile: Deivi Galvez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

A lot of his value comes from eye(get on base) and steal. To make matters worse, I have one part-time player in the bigs who can steal. So we're set at "infrequent". But, right now, I think he'd hit lead-off for my 9-16 team.

2/18/2016 2:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/18/2016 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianp87 on 2/18/2016 9:35:00 AM (view original):

That's shortsighted. While I tend to agree users hold players back too long and "tear it down" too often, there are legit reasons to hold a better player back. I can see you've only played in a world more than 7 seasons once so maybe you can't see it. But I'll explain.

I signed a big money IFA. I thought he'd make it as a CF/2B but his range is going to fall short. He might be the best player on my team right now(3rd year) at 20 y/o. Problem is, he can only play LF/1B at the moment. D ratings are something like 76/58/52/56. My 1B is probably the 2nd best, only because he can only play 1B, on my team and my RF(who could play 2B/3B) is my 3rd best. My LF(could play RF) has 100 power and is putting up good numbers for the 2nd consecutive year. My current 2B/3B are OK but nothing special at the plate. So my option would be move RF to 2B/3B, LF to RF, send one of my three 2B/3B to the minors and promote my 20 y/o to play LF. And that was certainly an option in my mind before the season started. In fact, I used my R5 pick to take one of my 2B/3B to fill my 25 man roster. Sadly, the team I thought could contend is 9-15. All this moving around might net me another 2-5 wins over the course of the season. Right now, I'm going to finish with 60-65 wins. What would be the point of promoting a 20 y/o to reach 62-70? That said, if this team picks up the pace, I still have this move in my pocket. If not, he starts the season in the bigs next year when 3 of the LF/RF/2B/3B have expired contracts and I'll have my IFA until he's 31.

To me, this was the perfect blend of "playing to win now" and "planning for the future". The promotion all hinged on how we, and my division, started.

IOW, I don’t think there should ever be a “Period” in this game. At least not if you plan on staying in a world for more than one FA signing cycle(5 seasons).

If he may be the best player on my team I try and play him. That's just what I do it. Why hold back unless you playing for draft position. Ratings matter to me not the age.
2/18/2016 3:03 PM

Galvez is 21 not 20 which makes a difference to me at least. At his current development I don't really see a reason to keep him in the minors if you are hoping to compete this year. Especially if you could make moves to get his glove into left. 9-15 isn't that big of a deal and Galvez would easily contribute to the turnaround. You are past the 20 game point so no matter what he doesn't hit arbitration until 25 years old or FA until after his 31 year old season. I mean ML avg power, + VL, +VR, ++ Eye, +++ Speed could be a .300/.390/.450 type of hitter this season and the service time essentially wouldn't count. In addition you probably have better coaching at ML level than at Hi A which bodes well for further development.

Now if your team is a dog and 9-15 is what you expected then my thinking would be a bit different.

Also Galvez is a freaking stud. Congrats on that excellent IFA pickup.

2/18/2016 3:15 PM

Again, that ideology comes from not sticking in worlds for extended periods of time. I'm not being critical(although I bet you leave teams in a mess) but you don't have to look at the long-term picture. Your history indicates that you come in, jack up payroll, do pretty well and leave before it's time to pay the piper for bringing up the "best" players immediately.

I don't hold players back very often but, in Galvez's case, I didn't really have a spot for him in his current condition. However, if we come out of the gate around .500 and the division leader is 13-7 or something, I'd have dumped one of my 2B/3B(probably the R5 as he was the only one making less than 1.5m), made the changes I mentioned and called up Galvez. But I started 7-13 and was 9 games out at the 20 game mark. Since I've been in the world for 39 seasons, and expect to be in it until WifS kills HBD, it makes ZERO sense to call him up and MAYBE win a couple more games over the next 142. He's not that much of an upgrade if all changes needed to make room are done.

That's why I say there shouldn't be a "period" in this game. You paint yourself in a corner.

2/18/2016 3:16 PM

Yeah, being 21 does make a difference. At this point, I have control until he's 31. Problem is, as I mentioned earlier, one of his best values is as a basestealer. My team is ill-equipped for that today(I didn't expect him to improve 9 OVR like he did last season). Nonetheless, if the 1st place team falters a little, the plan to call him up is still there.

2/18/2016 3:19 PM
Team Owner W-L PCT GB L10 STRK Home Road Login
Helena Anglers mjm0427 18-7 .720 - 4-6 L1 11-4 7-3 2/18
Pittsburgh Rat-Funk Moran ratfink99 14-11 .560 4.0 5-5 L2 9-4 5-7 2/18
New York Honey Badgers MikeT23 9-16 .360 9.0 4-6 L1 5-7 4-9 2/18
Cincinnati Riots brewsbrother 8-17 .320 10.0 5-5 W3 4-8 4-9

2/18

2/18/2016 3:21 PM

The bigger problem is I'm 30th in RS and my revamped pitching staff isn't doing as well as I hoped behind a kickass defense.

2/18/2016 3:25 PM
I just don't think he gets me to league average in scoring by replacing one of them. Johnson was the R5.
2/18/2016 3:29 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.