Forwarded to me by an owner from one of my previous worlds. Not sure I've seen a player this good this late in the draft. He might be our example of Pujols or Piazza.
2/20/2016 7:47 AM
Wow!
2/20/2016 7:47 AM
Geez. How does that even happen?
2/20/2016 10:03 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/20/2016 10:03:00 AM (view original):
Geez. How does that even happen?
I'll guess.

1/ Poor arm. Might have been listed at an unexpected position in the draft rankings, which could "hide" a player.

2/ Nice hit ratings. Terrible pitch ratings, so-so health... dragged down his Overall. And since we can only see projections but not know if a player is actually decent right now...

3/ Owners in his world light on College scouting as a group.

Thing I've found about this scouting system now is that I really have to be more diligent doing pre-ranks. And one factor of that time is trying to find mediocre players the system pushes up by default. I hate drafting a guy in the first round who's never going to hit ML pitching or defend at a ML level, but he was pushed up the draft board because his Overall is good. Every time one of those guys gets pushed up, one player like this one gets pushed down. Doing pre-ranks is more important now IMO.

That said, it's possible this player might have been hidden enough anyway.

2/20/2016 10:40 AM
Similar happened in a league I'm in a few seasons ago. If he gets classified as a DH by most owners' scouting, default DH draft weighting is 0 so if you have a lot of newer players they may not have updated their weightings yet. Still seems unlikely that a player would drop that much.
2/20/2016 12:21 PM
That was one of the things that peeved me off a little bit in a draft I had earlier this year.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7755026

was in the draft I had and I had him ranked higher then the guy I Ended up selecting in the first round. On the draft board his position said DH but when I clicked on his player card it said C. I'm in the NL so I have DH set to 0. I had no idea if my draft board would consider him a C or a DH. Turns out I ended up passing over him. Sucks that I had to learn that the hard way.
2/20/2016 12:37 PM
Pre-fuzzy ratings. 20th rounder I used for a bit. He's had a solid career but only as 1B/DH.

Player Profile: George Frye - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
2/20/2016 12:43 PM
Recent draft in one of my worlds -

16th Rounder - George Hines

20th Rounder - Geoff Mahay
2/20/2016 6:40 PM
wow. I took a couple years off from HBD starting in early 2014 (ran for state rep), and took over a team right after the draft in December - so I haven't experienced a draft since the big update.

these guys get me excited about drafting. we get our draft list tomorrow, and draft next Tuesday.
2/22/2016 3:42 PM
Can someone please find the pre draft scouting ratings on these players? I'm very interested in how their true ratings match up with the pre draft projections....
2/22/2016 9:31 PM
I have not drafted a single ML player in any round since the update. I am meticulous in my draft rankings and have never in any season "missed" on a first round pick, even in years when drafted late in the first round, so long as my scouting was mediocre. I had some misses when my scouting (col and hs) were both 0. Needless to say, I am none too thrilled with fuzzy ratings.
2/23/2016 2:58 PM
Here's my hypothesis. If the world's overall hs/col scouting budget is low, there will be more "not scouted enough" guys in the the draft. I'm in the world that alogman1 referenced the players above. Both were on my list, but "not scouted enough" - some of those guys ended up being drafted very early - the guys I didn't see that others did. I think you'll only find those gems going late if the budgets are an aggregate low number. I haven't checked yet to see if my hypothesis is correct, but that's where I would start the comparison. If your scouting budgets are high, there would be much less of a chance for those guys to slip through.

The fuzzy ratings, though, create draft doubt, which has the effect of money moving toward proven talent. It would be interesting to see if there are simply some guys that will slip into that realm. If so, I like it....there's your Piazza/Pujols possibilities...
2/23/2016 3:30 PM
Posted by knellypsu on 2/22/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Can someone please find the pre draft scouting ratings on these players? I'm very interested in how their true ratings match up with the pre draft projections....
I have a hunch (at least in the league I referenced) that nobody saw the pre-draft ratings.
2/23/2016 3:31 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.