How to structure a ML deal for a draftee Topic

i am in a world that has a 25m hard prospect cap rule.

I went heavy with an IFA leaving say $5m remaining. I thought this would be enough to sign the #6 overall pick however this guy was a "may sign if the deal is right" kind of guy and wanted 5.9m. I tried offering say 5m bonus and 3x 327k on a ML deal but he balked.

While trying to understand how to structure a ML deal, I then tried to offer my second rounder $1 signing bonus and 3x $327k on a ML deal when he only asked for slot value which I believe was 550k but he declined also.

Is there something that I missed?
4/6/2016 12:21 PM
Can't say I blame him. If I wanted $550k before I even played a game, you offered me $1 and told me I can make more over the next 3 years, I'd turn it down too. Other then offering them what they want, I have no idea how the draft and IFA offers work.
4/6/2016 2:16 PM
Usually they say "Sorry, my client only wants a 1 year deal" when the BL offer is rejected. Basically, the coding is not letting you game the program.
4/6/2016 2:34 PM
Ok guess I lose out. Thanks for the input
4/6/2016 2:39 PM
yw
4/7/2016 7:21 AM
keep offering the 5 million. just cause he rejects once doesn't mean he will keep rejecting. i've had guys accept on the 5th or 6th offer without ever changing my offer.
4/8/2016 11:23 AM
its not hard to understand, really, IMO.
He's asking for a 5.9 million signing bonus NOT a 5.9 m contract. Offering him 327k/3 years means little because if he was to "be great" and make the majors he would get that automatically anyway. Its all about the signing bonus when dealing with amateur players....amateurs per MLB CBA can only make a tiered wage until they hit the 40 man roster or options run out.

In other words....if he wants a 5.9m signing bonus.... trying to win him over with a league minimum contract will only make him laugh at you.
4/13/2016 2:47 PM
How to structure a ML deal for a draftee Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.