Quick feedback please Topic

Player A releases first round pick from most recent draft. Notices error next day and posts in league chat.

Player B(me) claims player without reading world chat. I am ok returning the released player if it's generally agreed that I should but I can say with certainty the league wouldn't help me if I had made the mistake. This feeling is relayed to player A in trade chat.

Player A immediately posts world chat message basically asking that commish forces return?

What should I do? What's right?

My gut says tough cookies but I'm not about to cause a firestorm over made up baseball players... lol
5/17/2016 5:17 PM
Return the player and absolutely pummel the other owner in world chat pointing out what an idiot he is.
5/17/2016 5:28 PM
He knows. Lol. It's not personal, he is a good owner and I'm sure a cool guy. Seems silly that I lose my waiver spot and he gets his player back no harm caused when he made the initial mistake.
5/17/2016 5:34 PM
In a few of my leagues there was an arranged trade. Maybe suggest that?
5/17/2016 5:43 PM
Is owner a vet or a n00b?
5/17/2016 6:51 PM
Veteran owner.
5/17/2016 6:58 PM
Too bad then. He has to give me something. I'd ask for a good 4-5 year pro with some miles still left on his tires.

In my worlds, it would be tough ****. I designated a player and lost him. Meant to do it without waivers but screwed up. Never said a word. But the fact that you're asking means you're getting some flak for it. Give him the prospect back but get something useful for him.
5/17/2016 7:04 PM
  1. Not sure what you mean by "losing my waiver spot." Once you've claimed the guy you're back to the top of the waiver list... all you lost was the ability to claim someone else in that moment.
  2. In general I want to be compensated with either a decent bench player or a prospect who projects to a decent bench player when this happens in Rule 5-- that is, I want the value of my Rule 5 pick back. The value of a waiver pick is even lower; if you do offer him back don't expect more than token compensation.
  3. This is a "choose your own story" moment. If you choose, "keep the player," go to page 73; you will gain a bunch of wins and get treated like the league dick for a while. If you choose to trade back the player for a very marginal bench player, go to page 69; league peace will be kept but you'll have to find another way to secure those wins. Only you know which is better for you.
5/17/2016 7:04 PM
And, as stated, you don't "lose" anything by returning him for nothing. Players are on the wire for 2 days. You could have made 4 claims.

But I still wouldn't return him for nothing to a veteran owner.
5/17/2016 7:25 PM
Am I the only fuckin' guy who ever heard the phrase "card laid is card played?"

5/17/2016 7:27 PM
This guy is a turd. No thank you. I'd want something more.

Player Profile: Rico Blanco - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
5/17/2016 7:29 PM
At least offer me a defensive shortstop or catcher. Blanco is an insult for #2 pick in the draft.
5/17/2016 7:30 PM
Agree on blanco. Pretty awful, offers me a whole Lotta nuttin.
5/17/2016 8:18 PM
I have never understood why someone would even ask for the player back. If you have played more than a season and screw up own up to it and offer full value in a trade or STFU and quit crying.
5/17/2016 8:49 PM
The guy who released the player like a dumbass should be ecstatic that you'll entertain sending him back. Asking the commish to force a return — which he does not have the power to do anyway — adds arrogance and a lack of responsibility to being a dumbass. If you're not offered back a player who will improve your ML team, keep the guy you claimed. If I were the dumbass, you'd have two or three trade offers from me as soon as you said you're willing to reverse my mistake — a SUA or LRA type, a solid bench bat, a decent catcher who can hit or a great one who can't, a great (not mediocre, as in Blanco) all-glove middle infielder, etc. If I had little depth and needed all my useful ML players, the offer would be a good prospect — late 1st round, supplemental/early 2nd at worst. Not that I'd ask you to trade him back in the first place.

Half the owners who might complain about you keeping him would do the same, and wouldn't even think of trading him back. If all you are offered is a turd, agree that the commish should try to force a reversal and see how far it gets with support. If the owner has played more than 2 seasons, anyone who ridicules you for keeping him instead of ridiculing the dumbass is wrong. You would not be the one responsible for any firestorm.

There's always a chance it wasn't even a mistake. An owner with an alias holding a high waiver position might try to slip that team a stud without fear of a veto. If anyone other than the alias claims the guy, post that it was a mistake and ask to get the player back for free. If the alias gets him, post nothing. Not saying that's the case here, but if it were it wouldn't be a first.
5/18/2016 3:34 AM
12 Next ▸
Quick feedback please Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.