Schmidt is rolling (season 21): wait list Topic

Recruitment for season 21 is complete.  Please post below or sitemail the commish to join the wait list for season 22.  Thanks—

We want you to become part of the Schmidt Family.  After all, a man (or woman) who doesn't join Schmidt isn't really a man at all. 

Schmidt is a league of quality and respect.  17 of our current members have won at least one World Series, and several more have come close.  Low turnover has become the standard in recent seasons, so our organization has only 4 openings (- left now).  

We are not so tactless as to say this is the "offer you can't refuse," but it is in your best interests to accept...

$25 credit (free season!) to the new GM with most-improved record (for use in season 22 in Schmidt)

$15 credit to the runner-up (also for use in Schmidt)

NL North Franchise 
4 playoff appearances in 8 seasons
11th pick in amateur draft

Thank you for inviting me on the occasion of your simulated baseball league rollover. And I hope that the first new GM is a masculine GM. Male or female, it's all OK as long as he or she is masculine

Long before Chris Christie bullied New Jersey, there was Luca.  The NL North could use some bullying: 2 out of the last 3 seasons, the division champion's record was below .500— that's what we call a power vacuum.  The former Boise franchise has traditionally sported excellent position players (e.g. perennial MVP candidate Everth Ramirez; young stud SS Renyel Martinez), but pitching has gotten thin in recent seasons.  Many suspected this proud franchise had sunk to the bottom of the Hudson to sleep with the fishes — er... with the medical & industrial waste — but the previous GM had already started work recruiting arms to the outfit, like young SP Ernesto Cairo.

AL North Franchise #1
1 playoff appearance in 4 seasons
6th draft pick in this season's draft

Sure, zzookeepp... you know I'd do anything for my Godfather.  I'd even consider taking on a rebuild.

Let's face it, Johnny needs some help.  Once a big name in the entertainment bidniss, Johnny's now scheduled for throat surgery.  Will he ever sing again?  Can he get by on his Sicilian good looks and charm?  When he's on, he's still quite a show (e.g. stud SP Aramis Andujar), but no one in the industry is betting on Johnny this season.  Maybe next season.  There's some young talent to work with (Bey Pribanic), but mostly Johnny has hit rock bottom, and he's ready to try anything.  And he can!  He's been couch surfing for months, and there's almost no payroll obligations going forward, so he has the financial flexibility to reinvent himself.  

AL South Franchise
Six year playoff drought
8th draft pick coming up

You don't buy me out— I buy you out!  Do you know who I am??

Yes, we know who you are: you're Moe Greene, and your assets have been underperforming for 4 seasons since you decided to pull a Florida Marlins, trading off World Series contending assets in anticipation of a re-load.  How did that work out for you then, hmm?  

Actually, it hasn't worked out so bad at all, but we still feel a change of management is in order.  There's SP talent in its prime (Buddy TamMendy DeHaan), and rising talent that has been squirreled away at AAA, waiting for an opportune moment (super stud SS Gregory Kelly, SP Victor FriasClyde Kapler, and John Okajima, to name a few).  

Move the franchise to Mexico City.  Or San Juan.  Someplace nice.  Enjoy a cocktail.  Schedule a massage.  Double-check the door locks...  

AL North Franchise #2
Another 6 season playoff drought
10th draft pick in upcoming draft

I believe in America.  That's why I can't freaking stand those quasi-frogs from Montreal dominating this division!  Don Corleone... is this justice??

Please, call me 'Godfather.'  We hear you, Amerigo.  Oh yes, we hear you.  Canadians winning at baseball?  Unacceptable.  Un-American!  It's bad enough we have to watch those insufferable Canadians be all polite and friendly and enjoy affordable universal healthcare and recently surpass the US in median per capita income...  but winning at Simulated Baseball??  Something must be done!

Something already has been done.  Two seasons ago cougdawg accepted the mission to revive this once-dominant Schmidt franchise, and substantial progress has been made.  The payroll is cleared, and there are lots of prospects on the farm!  Pitchers don't come much stubblier (sic*) than Nathan Rizzuto & Eduardo Viciedo; great SS prospect in Pedro Colon, too; many more guys at AA and AAA ready to hit the bigs.

You're not just an undertaker— you're a proud Italian-American!  Build your business through hard work and intimidation and exploiting every tax loophole you can find... and clobber those upstart foreigners!

*obviously, this was meant to read 'studlier,' but spellcheck came up with 'stubblier' and I couldn't resist leaving it that way.  

5/10/2014 1:31 AM (edited)
Testimonial from a current Schmidt owner (originally communicated via Trade Chat, reproduced with permission)

"I decided to drop a world I'd been involved in for a long time in favor of staying in Schmidt.  I really like the direction everything is heading in this world.  I think I made the right choice for the future, as I am really pleased with the camaraderie, private world rules, etc, that Schmidt (hopefully soon to be Corleone) offers.  Basically what I'm saying is that I'm here to stay for many seasons to come... thanks for having me here."

--lesliechow
5/6/2014 11:52 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
great league!
5/3/2014 12:01 PM
5/5/2014 11:41 PM
This honestly is a good mix of trades, world chat and competitive owners, who help out and don't let an inexperienced owner get railroaded either. Been in it for years, have tried others, but a very good world to join!
5/6/2014 6:37 PM
Very active fun league with a large group of very smart owners. More then half of the owners have won WS in HBD. Come test your skills and join today.
5/6/2014 10:54 PM
down to two teams, hurry and join now
5/8/2014 3:54 PM
Better hurry.  Down to one team left. 
5/8/2014 6:21 PM
Schmidt is rolling (season 21): wait list Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.