Roy Hobbs Season 24--And we're filled! Topic

I have no idea how to put the best spin on this, so I am going with the old fashioned honesty approach.  World Roy Hobbs has been hurting the last 3-4 seasons in retaining owners and attracting good replacements.  That is going to change.  Our long-time commish is a no-show so far this season, so we will apparently be getting a fresh start in that area.  He was an outstanding commish for many years, but the last few apparently wore him down.  No hard feelings and I would love to have him back, but it is time to get this world heading back to being a highly ranked one. 

A brief history: Roy Hobbs was one of the last new worlds WIS allowed before the long-time freeze on new worlds was recently lifted.  After a couple of shall we say, eventful seasons, we settled down into a well run world with quick rollovers and a generally peaceful chat board.  (It would be boring to never have a spat.)  We were ranked well in all the forum ranking sytems that I saw.  That is what we are going to get back to.  Polling owners for their plans on returning will happen early and new owners will be recruited ASAP and selected thoughtfully. 

World rules: we use a fairly common 55/125 two season minimum win rule.  This will be suspended for this season for two new owners that just missed the cut with 54 wins, but will be back in effect for this coming season.  We also have a maximum salary for free agents of $15M per season and a $5M bonus rather than WIS' 20/10 rule.  It was enacted for the purpose of allowing owners to keep players that have had long careers with one team.  While it was controversial when it was enacted, it has actually not been an issue, although it will be 'subject to review' each season.

Available Teams

AL South:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Fomerly Santa Fe) 71-91 record.  #9 draft pick.  Rebuild here, but the hardest work is done.  Payroll should be in the 40's, worst case.  Top 2 players combine for $15M of that and are valuable trade chips.  Decent talent in minors.

****Reclaimed by rbjb****  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Formerly Nashville) 84-78 record.  #21 draft pick.  Reigning division champ, should be able to repeat.  Good returning players, still a good payroll, not terribly old....what more could you want?

****Taken by blanch13****  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Formerly Louisville)  69-93 record.  #8 draft pick.  Very intersting team.  Some really good talent in the minors, and some good, but aging, players at the ML level and enough cap room to add a FA or two.  Promote aggressively and go for it?

NL East:

**** Taken by topoftheworl****   (Formerly Jacksonville) 82-80 record.  #19 draft pick.  This team is stacked!  Excellent young ML players and good talent throughout the minors.

NL South:

****Taken by JC44****   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Formerly Little Rock) 78-84 record.  #14 draft pick.  Prime rebuild team.  Some good pieces in the majors, low payroll and pretty good prospects.

NL West:

****Taken by colton_72****  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Formerly Scottsdale) 79-83 record.  #12 & 17 picks.  Great flexibility with this team, as most of the ML roster is in arb.  Dump 'em all and start over with some decent minor league talent, about $20M in guaranteed salary and 2 first round picks or sign the keepers and go for it now in a weak division.

****Reclaimed by stnick44****  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Franchise Profile  (Formerly San Francisco) 75-87 record.  #13 draft pick.  A challenge here.  Last owner had started a rebuild, but a couple of big contracts remain, and the better prospects are all in low minors.  But hey, you 'll want to stay forever, so what's the rush to have an immediate contender?

****Reclaimed by palet99****  (Formerly Salt Lake City) 68-94 record.  #7 draft pick.  Another team that could go either way.  Some good players in the majors and most of the best prospects are in the high minors.  On the other hand, the 3 biggest contracts are very tradeable players, and you do have a #7 pick.

6/27/2014 11:10 PM (edited)
To clarify, it is 'Season 24'... not 24 Openings...

:)

Seriously though, Hobbs is a really fun world, with a nice core and will soon have a re-vamped blog. Come get in on the ground floor of the new and improved Hobbs!
6/21/2014 3:59 PM
A couple of guys....well, mongoose, but he has multiple personalities....pointed out that I was kind of vague on my wording of the private world rules and should clarify that the MWR is NOT subject to change, but that we might review the maximum salary rule.  Already getting interest, and a couple of teams are probably going to be gone by tomorrow!
6/21/2014 8:48 PM
The Salt Lake City and Jacksonville teams are now spoken for.  Down to six franchises left.
6/22/2014 12:09 PM
I enjoyed my first season in Roy Hobbs and I will be back. The group is very helpful to others and the chat has good banter, though nothing that has been degrading to others. Join up and try to be the one to knock Indianapolis from its lofty perch:)
6/22/2014 7:16 PM
I signed up. So should you :)
6/23/2014 5:08 PM
In just two days we have filled 6 of 8 openings.  Just one in the AL South and one in the NL South.  You're running out of chances to get in on a great world. 
6/23/2014 9:50 PM
Two good teams that are ready for you to rebuild into the kind of team you want. Neither one has a really bad contract, both should have low payrolls and some good prospects already in the system.
6/24/2014 12:53 PM
Join Hobbs! Before you know it, it will be one of your favorites and one of the best. 
6/24/2014 11:11 PM
Join if you wanna play NOW like everybody does
6/25/2014 1:18 AM
Great world , with Great owners (a few our suspect human beings but they keep things entertaining). Join NOW
6/25/2014 7:40 PM
Can't wait to get started.
6/27/2014 2:58 AM
Things were quiet. Too quiet.....
6/27/2014 5:39 PM
We have just one opening left, the AL South team.  Time to quit watching and take the plunge.
6/27/2014 11:12 PM
WE ARE FULL!!!
6/28/2014 1:47 PM
Roy Hobbs Season 24--And we're filled! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.