Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

You only have the day of the R5 freeze to see R5 prospects and rank them.
10/19/2014 12:27 PM
Yes, agreed. But, I think you have from the beginning of the season to do your settings.

So, in worst case scenario, you are setting your limits, positions, number to draft, etc and you would miss your ordering if you missed rule 5 day
10/19/2014 2:39 PM
Yes you can set your settings before arb day. I just did it in 1 of my leagues
10/19/2014 3:55 PM
Hypothetical...

Suppose I set my payroll at $105M.  I have $80M in used payroll, $25M left.  I set my draft at "no maximum" for salary.  Simmy drafts 3 guys at $8M each, then takes 3 at the minimum.  At that point my draft is done right? 

Again just thinking out loud...I can see something like that happening really easily if there was "big fish" out there.  You make sure your settings accommodate that contract, but if you don't get that guy, you may get stuck with a lot of deadweight and no flexibility.  I guess you could turn around and waive anybody you draft.  I suppose you could strategize around this....my gut feeling is there will be lots of guesswork, lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth, and many adjustments over the first few seasons.   I would even think that dumping a huge contract into the pool would really mess up someone else's strategy too....
10/20/2014 10:43 AM
Correct.

That is why, when we consider other rules, the cash in trade rule night have to be a more relaxed version, allowing someone that out.
10/20/2014 11:44 AM
Or...not, forcing people to form a strategy around the limit on the rule 5. Or even their use of the rule 5; use it as a way to pick up cheaper, then signed unclaimed at the other end of the rule 5.
10/20/2014 11:47 AM
It'll be a completely different animal, that's for sure.  Still trying to figure out a general strategy, let alone anything applied to a specific team...
10/21/2014 12:57 PM
Sending out sitemails, but people do love their existing leagues, even if it means waiting 3 months.
Probably any league with 8 or less openings is a near guarantee.

Figure that 8 means 28 are in currently. League says yes; only need to retain half of the existing owners to make it a go.

10/23/2014 1:35 PM
And I'm not themergerguy. For those getting sitemails. I prefer to be annoying in other ways.
10/25/2014 8:05 PM
And, this league concept might accidentally make Advanced Scouting relevant.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=481185&TopicsTimeframe=30
10/25/2014 8:38 PM
I am interested in this league. It would be an interesting change. 

10/26/2014 10:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the interest. I've put you on the list.
10/26/2014 11:04 PM
I'd be interested.  I'm in Banks and Thome, doesn't look like either is gonna fill anytime soon.
10/27/2014 9:33 AM
I'm currently in Jaha and there's at least some interest.

Have a question/concern about the ML roster limit. I'm thinking it will be a disadvantage if you aren't able to manipulate your roster under 20 the previous season. There's quite a few that this might effect... World Series participants and even AL and NL Championship participants have limited windows to manipulate their roster, new owners have no way to change their rosters and everyone the first season is stuck with what ever happened to their rosters.

Any thought of having non-keeper place holders or some other method to keep to the spirit of the 20 while still keeping players in the minors?

Also... signed free agents not counting towards the rule V seems like a loophole that will be exploited very heavily and could cause an inflation of salaries at the end of the FA period.

11/2/2014 8:05 AM
19 already, all there or will there be a world who has 19 openings? 
11/3/2014 10:43 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.