Your Godfather will see you now (Schmidt s24) Topic

We invite you to join the Schmidt Family.  After all, a man who doesn't join Schmidt isn't really a man at all...

Schmidt is a world of tradition; a world of quality. 

We believe in America.  We believe in opportunity.  We believe in simulated baseball. 

Schmidt has opportunities for advancement in our organization:  FOUR open franchises that need your quality leadershipR-E-S-P-E-C-T, vision, ambition, good humor, sobriety (optional), wisdom, fealty, love, and stick-to-itiveness.

AVAILABLE FRANCHISES

1.  AL East: former Kansas City Bush Leaguers Franchise.   (CLAIMED)

"That's my family, Kate.  That's not me."

Oh, please.  That's TOTALLY you.  You're as cold and calculating and brutal as any mobster in history or imagination.  Sure, you're taken a few lumps recently (see above photo), but we know you well enough to know this is just a plot device leading to something big.  

Under the leadership of Schmidt Family legend chadrader, this franchise has been a perennial playoff team with potent mix of pitching and offense, young and veteran.  SPs Miguel SaezParker Bradley, and Dave May form a playoff-worthy threesome that can go as far as you want.  Switch-hitting combo 2B/CF Sherry Lorin and  3B Steve McPherson put offensive power at skill positions.  

This franchise was run with shrewd, careful vision.  For the coming season, the roster will be trending somewhat old, but contracts are reasonable and there will be salary flexibility to re-load.  

So… do you roll over and let new players muscle their way into control of the AL East?  Or do you have the vision and ruthlessness to reassert yourself and make it Springtime for this proud franchise? 

2.  AL North: former Montreal Bears Franchise.  (CLAIMED)

"No more discussions!  No more tricks!  You give 'em one message— I want [the AL North]!  It's all-out war, we go to the mattresses…"

Wow.  This franchise is one brutal SOB, and has spent the last 7 seasons punishing  the punks in the AL community.  

This franchise has OWNED the American League, making seven straight World Series appearances before this past season.  That is not a typo:  seven straight AL typos.  There are no albatross contracts, and most of the talent from the dominant run is still under control and in its prime:  Cy Young perennials Clarence Boyle and Alan Valentine, plus younger CY aspirant Dwight Walker and über-reliever Willie Arroyo.  And it's not just pitching… what does a 5-time MVP look like?  Like this: Carlos Diaz.  'Nuff said.  Only because Diaz is on the team can you poo-poo the potent bats of Bert Gerut and Melky Espinosa, who together make it impossible to pitch around Diaz.  

Seriously…  how many franchises do you know that have this kind of assembled talent, all signed at hometown discount prices?  

This franchise is ready to win now and win big.  It's a wartime franchise ready for a wartime consigliere.     Is it you? 

3.  AL South: former Mexico City Taco Cats Franchise.  (PENDING)

"Anyway, if I had this part in the picture, it puts me right back on top, you know.  But this… this man out there.  He won't give it to me.  The head of the studio."

So, how are the pipes, Johnny?  Are you just one big break away from renewed glory?  

YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!  "What do I do, Godfather?"  You know what to do!  Take the studs you were gifted (example: young, best SS in the AL: Gregory Kelly) and build a more complete team around them.  Former GM sjstapleton did good work starting this rebuild, but has to pass the reigns to a worthy successor.  

The larder has prospects, particularly deep in pitching:  
Vladimir Perez
Doug Rhodes
Henry Maduro
Cookie Rosado
Vic Javier
Javier Cairo
Fritz Maxwell

Plus you'll get the #3 draft pick in the amateur draft.  Enjoy it.  

4.  AL South: former Texas Zorreros Franchise Profile.  (CLAIMED)

"Thank you for inviting me on the occasion of your [simulated baseball league rollover]."

Ah, lovable, loyal, brutal Luca.  No doubt, he was an imposing presence.  But it's a thin line between being the deadliest guy in the Family and…  well, see above photo.

Must you sleep with the fishes?  Is this a foregone conclusion?  Of course not.  But let this image remind you of what's at stake here.  Stay motivated.  Stay cautious.  Stay hungry.  Ron Baxter and Tony Matsui are great players, to be sure, but they can hardly fend off the men wielding garrotes all by themselves...

Like it's companion open franchise in the relatively weak AL South, this is a mid-stage rebuild that has been acquiring talent:
 Brady Stankiewicz
 Miguel De La Rosa
 Midre Montanez
 Jack Wall
 Geraldo Johnson
 Juan Duran
 Phillip Davis

And I highlight this guy because… he's a very good prospect, but have you ever seen a more snake-bitten season?  

Plus you can enjoy the #7 draft pick in the upcoming amateur draft.  

By the way, has anyone noticed the disturbing similarity between the fictional Luca Brasi and a present day prominent New Jersey figure?

It's kind of uncanny and spooky, no?  And now I can't get the image out of my head…  Chris Christie's opening statement at a presidential primary debate:  "Thank you for inviting me on the occasion of your Fox News-sponsored Republican primary debate.  And I hope that the first question is a masculine question."  Ratings gold.  

Thanks for reading—  hope it was entertaining!  To join the Schmidt Family, you may sitemail the commish (me: Zzookeepp) or post below.  

Select a franchise, kiss the ring, and get ready to enjoy simulated baseball in (arguably) the most collegial, fun, and talented community of owners in Hardball.  

ALERT!  One more franchise listed below—   Please scroll down

4/27/2015 10:17 AM (edited)
Testimonial from a current Schmidt owner (originally communicated via Trade Chat, reproduced with permission)

"I decided to drop a world I'd been involved in for a long time in favor of staying in Schmidt.  I really like the direction everything is heading in this world.  I think I made the right choice for the future, as I am really pleased with the camaraderie, private world rules, etc, that Schmidt (hopefully soon to be Corleone) offers.  Basically what I'm saying is that I'm here to stay for many seasons to come... thanks for having me here."

-lesliechow
4/26/2015 10:04 AM (edited)
A little bit about Schmidt:  

Of all HBD worlds, Schmidt might have the deepest roster of skilled owners who have won 1 or several world series titles.  This is a very good world for swapping strategies, polishing skills and testing your stuff against quality competition.  

Inexperienced owners are welcome.  Our veteran owners have historically been very generous with advice and coaching, but we also recommend new owners refrain from trades for the first season as they learn the ropes.  

We have a minimum win requirement (MWR) to discourage tanking.  Repeat: we in Schmidt loathe tanking.  Fall below the threshold (120 wins over 2 seasons) and a 5-member committee reviews the case and recommends either dismissal or probation.  That 120 win threshold for 2 seasons is generally pretty easy to meet, even if you're trying to exit a few veteran contracts and pursue prospects.  

Highest priorities are good humor and minimal drama.  

We look forward to hearing from you!  You may post below or sitemail the commish (me).
4/26/2015 10:07 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
4/25/2015 12:22 PM
great league! Come join the "family"!
4/25/2015 7:29 PM
zzookeepp could you please see my site mail about one of the open franchises.
4/25/2015 7:52 PM
Good league to test your skills. Lots of trades, very active WC and good humor. Join Today
4/26/2015 2:45 AM
jrobert, message on its way—
4/26/2015 9:38 AM
UPDATE!   One more franchise available, and it's pretty good.  We didn't think we'd have a NL franchise open, but now there's just the one:

5.  NL East: former Jacksonville Os Franchise.  (claimed)

"Tell Mikey it was never personal…"  

Of course it wasn't, Salvatore; it never is.  But business is rough.  Tessio is the smart one, and he's been around long enough to know when it's time for [divisional] regime change and how much preparation goes into making a strong move.

This franchise has a somewhat odd history in having a series of good GMs take good care of it for the last 7 to 12 seasons, but no one ever committed to "winning now."
Very good players are on the roster and on the farm, and while there are no over-the-top superstars, there's a lot here with which to work.  Young position prospects I really like include sophomore SS Pedro Colon  who made his first all-star team as a rookie and won the first of a long career of gold gloves. There's young all-around offensive threat LF Yorvit Vincente—don't ask me why he's underachieved the last 2 seasons, because with his speed, contact, power, eye, baserunning, splits and left-handed bat, he should be a regular offensive stud. Veteran RF Luis Nieves is a model of graceful aging and has been a 30-40 HR anchor. And do you want a catcher who regularly pushes .400 OB%?  Brian Locko is a rare item.  The pitching staff is very solid, led by 28 y.o. ace Vic Ordaz, followed by more young, controlled, above-average ML SPs: Benito Torres and Bart Francis.  The bullpen is anchored by stud workhorse Pedro Canseco

And then there's the farm.  In short, it's been regularly stocked and rarely raided for win-now trades. Observe: Jeremi Walker is ML-ready and will be a high avg / on-base machine for years to come. Walter Clark is a cost-controlled utility guy. Raymond Hutton is a plus-play SS who is probably a trade chip, given that Pedro Colon has the ML roster spot locked down. Dan Rolen could contribute right now, while recent first round picks Alex Hannity and Ryan Drese still needs some seasoning. Pitching is stocked with solid prospects, both starting (Willard CradleJoaquin SierraEsmerling MarichalDarwin Knotts, and Frank Zhang) and in relief (Vic SappeltBrent Zobrist, and Benny Marichal).

None of those prospects are world-beaters, but there's organizational depth of players with projectable ML careers.

Did we mention the franchise has one of the lowest payrolls in the league?  Only young stud pitcher Vic Ordaz is making any serious money, which leaves financial flexibility to rebuild or restock to suit your taste. Start with the #17 draft pick in this season's draft.

So, this franchise is well-rounded, cost-controlled, and offers lots of flexibility for a resourceful GM. The NL East has been in flux for several seasons now after a bellwether franchise lost control of the division. Take control. 
5/3/2015 2:58 PM (edited)
We still have a team open, Hurry join today
4/27/2015 10:41 AM
one opening! Join today and we roll!
5/6/2015 8:51 PM
Your Godfather will see you now (Schmidt s24) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.