Lakers 2011-2012 Topic

I hate this for my Rockets.  A couple players and the Rockets could have been in the playoff mix, but now it appears that both the Rockets and Astros are afraid to take press away from the Texans.
12/8/2011 8:11 PM
not a fan of this yet - Odom AND Pau are too much for just Paul (as good as he is) - we now have no starting 4 or 5 for the first 5 games of tthe season - on the other hand we traded away 28m and only got back 16m (so far) so...? okafor? west (s&t'd)? what what what?? the math doesnt work yet...
12/8/2011 9:51 PM (edited)
I want Okafur back, that would be a solid addition. But not good enough. Size wins championships. The Lakers were dominant last season because of Odom/Gasol/Bynum. Mavericks had Chandler/Dirk/Haywood? Celtics when they were winning had KG/Big Baby/Perkins look how they fell apart without Perkins.

This story isn't done yet, so lets hope for a big man coming back to help out. 
12/8/2011 9:18 PM
Stern kills this why? **** him
12/8/2011 9:52 PM
It's not small market teams getting steamrolled by big markets that's fucked, it's small market teams run by retards getting steamrolled by big market teams that's fucked.

First of all, the Clippers are insanely retarded for not offering Bledsoe, Minny's pick, and Farouq-Aminu for Paul.

Second, the Hornets are retarded for a) leaving the Lakers enough to trade for Dwight and b) letting the Rockets get in on the act with the DP.

Which is not to say that Pau and Odom would have been a totally unacceptable return, but how do you settle for that when the Lakers are still making out like bandits by trading Bynum and Odom (Dwight Howard opportunity cost notwithstanding).  If LA says no and saves their chips for Dwight, then you're not any worse off taking Rondo/Green/picks.

It's probably not the league's prerogative to babysit dumbass GM's, but combining the big markets' leverage (which is to be expected) with braindamaged FO's really results in some extreme railroading.
12/9/2011 12:29 AM
Oh yeah- and also NO should account for the fact that no matter how well they draft and rebuild, they will NEVER EVER beat a team with Dwight and CP even after Kobe retires.
12/9/2011 12:30 AM
Assuming this trade stays dead, I thing the league just **** on the hornets.  Now Paul will walk after 66 games.  No compensation for the Hornets
12/9/2011 9:24 AM
they weren't getting compensation in the deal, so it's not like NO is worse off
12/9/2011 9:37 AM
Posted by deanod on 12/9/2011 9:37:00 AM (view original):
they weren't getting compensation in the deal, so it's not like NO is worse off
A starting C, PF, and SG plus a solid BU PG, plus a mid first-round pick.  What more could they ask for?  N.O. was the only team this deal actually made sense for.  Without knowing the rest of the Lakers' plan, I'd have to say thank you to whoever killed the deal.  Having Bynum as the only legit 4/5 is crazy, plus I don't think Kobe and Paul can coexist.  Keep the frontline together and sign Billups or Davis.
12/9/2011 10:07 AM
Baron Davis sucks and Chauncey is getting claimed by an under the cap team.

The Hornets' assets that they got in return had a grand total shelf life of TWO years.  They go from

CP3 > Dragic
Bellynelly > KevMart
Ariza
West > Scola
Okafor

with Odom coming off the bench.  Their backcourt gets drastically worse if you want to say Dragic ~ Belli, because CP3 >>> KevMart, who for all intents and purposes is an average starter.  Scola is a lil upgrade over West, Odom is nice to have on their bench but it doesn't atone for the backcourt getting crushed.

Then Odom walks the next year and they get a bit worse w/o the bench depth.

Then the year after KevMart either walks or gets crazy overpaid at age 30.

Then they are left holding their dicks with a 34 y/o Luis Scola who is due 2/21 and they're looking to dump anybody.

So basically they went from like 45 > ping pong balls to 40 > 37 > ping pong.  They traded an asset with a 1 year shelf life for worse assets with BARELY longer shelf lives.  It was turrible for the Hornets.

Agree that the Lakers wouldn't have gotten immediately better, but CP3 is better than Pau and ilke 6 years younger.  Odom is replaceable.  Once they swapped Howard for Bynum they would have been absolutely unbeatable.  So maybe they got a wee bit worse this year (but still would contend) in order to stack the **** out of their hand in the future.
12/9/2011 10:23 AM
The kibosh was more against the Lakers than for the Hornets.  Whiny guys like Cuban and Dan "comic sans" Gilbert who doesn't even belong in the league.  CP3 is a nice player but even with him NO hasn't gone anywhere - in fact they are on league welfare if you will.  It's not like they'll be that much worse. 

Look at Derrick Rose who got owned by Bron.  Short PG's are not really what get's you a ring.  You need bigs and LA was about to ship 2 of them out.  Cuban should have been happy to see that after losing Tyson.

These Rockets players were consistent performers in the playoffs without Yao.  The NBA would have received a boost in viewers with a refreshed LA team.  I saw the Rockets as the big losers in the deal, but maybe they have young talent they like and they'd have a bunch of cash.

edit - didn't realize those Rockets were that old Dean.  Kind of changes my view on it now.
12/9/2011 10:30 AM (edited)
Yeah I know that it was against the Lakers, the trade would have been a lot less bad for NO if Morey wasn't cut in.  I don't think it's a legit reason to veto the deal, but the NBA was in a position to abuse their power so why the **** not, i suppose.  Although FWIW I don't see why they wouldn't push for Bynum over Pau and LA didn't have to give up a pick, Demps couldn't have taken a softer line in negotations.

Now Dwight is requesting a trade to the Nets, which is bogus.  I was looking forward to hating him on the Lakers and Brook Lopez sucks.  If you guys offer Pau + Bynum for Dwight + Turkoglu + J-Rich (S&T) then I think that's probably the fairest possible deal.  Brook Lopez + flotsam would be retarded.
12/9/2011 10:38 AM

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert called the New Orleans Hornets’ proposed trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers a “travesty,” and urged NBA commissioner David Stern to put the deal to a vote of the league’s 29 owners in an email obtained by Yahoo! Sports. Gilbert sent the email to Stern, deputy commissioner Adam Silver and a handful of Gilbert’s ownership peers on Thursday.

The following is the email in its entirety:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

An NBA spokesman said owners “didn’t kill the deal,” instead citing “basketball reasons,” for why the league office blocked the trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av2kb0lxOlcVTS2gv0.C01a8vLYF?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

**** Dan Gilbert

12/9/2011 11:27 AM
12/9/2011 1:47 PM
Gilbert's a clown
12/9/2011 5:34 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...32 Next ▸
Lakers 2011-2012 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.