GO SPURS!!! Topic

Posted by badja on 6/20/2013 10:31:00 AM (view original):
What I don't get is how the Spurs have not been to the Finals over the last couple of years.  They have to be the most hot/cold team I can recall and they seem to shrink in big games. 
The supporting cast has improved greatly.
6/20/2013 1:41 PM
Stern made Allen's 3pointer go in...we all knew this....
6/20/2013 1:44 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 6/20/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
What I don't get is how the Spurs have not been to the Finals over the last couple of years.  They have to be the most hot/cold team I can recall and they seem to shrink in big games. 
Same guys aren't they?  I mean I don't think they have anyone new this year.  Maybe they have just improved as players.
6/20/2013 1:51 PM
Wouldn't Stern want the Spurs to win? You can (potentially) have Duncan and Ginobili go out on top and bring the allure of LeBron continual failures be the spotlight.

If the Heat win I think you lose viewers for next season because the thought will be the Heat are going to win anyway, why watch?

And if Stern wanted to force a game 7 he did a terrible job, since the only reason the Heat won was because Spurs had one of the biggest choke jobs in NBA history.

6/20/2013 1:53 PM
Posted by badja on 6/20/2013 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 6/20/2013 1:41:00 PM (view original):
Same guys aren't they?  I mean I don't think they have anyone new this year.  Maybe they have just improved as players.
Maybe compared to last year they have the same guys, but that's about it.  And sure, some have improved as players from last year.  Kawhi Leonard was a rookie last year.

Also, in terms of them making the Finals, they did make the WCF last year and the team that they lost to dealt one of their stars and had another one go down in the first round, so even absent any improvement you wouldn't have to work hard to explain them making the Finals this year.
6/20/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 6/20/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Wouldn't Stern want the Spurs to win? You can (potentially) have Duncan and Ginobili go out on top and bring the allure of LeBron continual failures be the spotlight.

If the Heat win I think you lose viewers for next season because the thought will be the Heat are going to win anyway, why watch?

And if Stern wanted to force a game 7 he did a terrible job, since the only reason the Heat won was because Spurs had one of the biggest choke jobs in NBA history.

Um....why would the NBA want it's brightest star failures being exploited?

I have to disagree that the NBA would rather want Duncan and Manu go out on top.  As much as i love and appreciate Duncan's game (it's throwback style....wish the C's were able to draft him!), but people don't care about the Spurs.....just look at all the Spurs TV ratings.  Brutal.  Meanwhile, the Heat constantly have high ratings since Bron Bron arrived.

$$$$$ motivates Stern.

You could say that for 90% of game 6 the Heat choked.  Hell, they Bron almost single-handedly choked it away himself.

6/20/2013 2:10 PM
LeBron and the Heat are the villains to the majority of the fanbase right now.  The NBA would be stupid to think that's ever going to change while this group is together.  IF you're trying to manipulate results in the interest of what's best for business, you want the villains to stay around as long as possible, but ultimately lose.
6/20/2013 2:17 PM
That being said, I don't think it really matters.  The Heat haven't been dominant enough to convince the people who show up hoping to see them lose to check out, even if they do ultimately win the title again today.
6/20/2013 2:27 PM
If you want to keep a bigger fanbase, you have to have some parity on who wins the titles. If LeBron and co win "not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4" consecutive titles, I would think many fans would tune out.
6/20/2013 2:46 PM

I'm not entirely sure you're familiar with the NBA...

6/20/2013 2:51 PM
That being said, I agree with you to a point, but that's not going to happen after this season.  There's nothing about this title run that makes the Heat winning next year seem inevitable.
6/20/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 6/20/2013 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 6/20/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):

Um....why would the NBA want it's brightest star failures being exploited?

I have to disagree that the NBA would rather want Duncan and Manu go out on top.  As much as i love and appreciate Duncan's game (it's throwback style....wish the C's were able to draft him!), but people don't care about the Spurs.....just look at all the Spurs TV ratings.  Brutal.  Meanwhile, the Heat constantly have high ratings since Bron Bron arrived.

$$$$$ motivates Stern.

You could say that for 90% of game 6 the Heat choked.  Hell, they Bron almost single-handedly choked it away himself.

stinenavy is right...since Stern and the NBA is all about money, with LeBron losing it increases the chance that he opts out and leaves Miami to go to LA or another large market.

In the process more jerseys are sold and more revenue generated that will bring greater interest to the league on the whole and create more drama
6/20/2013 7:48 PM
Green and Parker go 4/24.  Battier kills it.  LeBron channels MJ and Kobe.  Duncan is old.  Manu is losing his mind.  Spurs take way more FT's in the series.  Heat are top to bottom the best team with too many offensive weapons but no interior game at all.   Let the Dwightmare begin.
6/21/2013 6:37 AM
Spurs were the better team and should have won in 6

Lebron was most certainly not in MJ territory the spurs were able to take advantage of his mental weakness (i.e. giving him anything from 18' and out all series from which he most commonly either passed out of or doinked) and he almost singlehandedly lost the series at the end of game 6
6/22/2013 1:52 PM
Series avg. 25/10/7 including 2 triple doubles and a 37 point game 7.  Numbers can hide stuff, but it's still impressive.

For perspective I looked up some of Magic's Finals numbers.  Badass stuff.  21/6/13 against Detroit while shooting 55%.  18/8/14 vs. Boston.

One more:   26/8/13 vs. Boston in 6 games.  Jesus.

6/27/2013 10:01 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345
GO SPURS!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.