2/27/2013 10:04 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 2/26/2013 6:41:00 PM (view original):
What is the advantage to jumping the slot and leaving it empty (in this case, slot 2) rather than fill Slot 2 with Bertrand (the first available guy in the OG/C list).
This is something we should probably answer in beta.  Is there a benefit or should it work the old way of just filling next available?

My thinking on it is that it helps prevent situations where starters are pulled out of their normal spots to fill in for some slot you didn't intend them to play.  For instance, you could get in a situation where one of your top OTs get pulled into an OG/C slot before having the chance to fill their starting OT spot.  By making a pass to fill starters first, it helps minimize these cases.

However, thinking about slots like WR, you probably want your second best WR to slide up into the top WR slot in a play.  So it might be enough that you can set specific depth charts and set them in formations, so if you really want someone to fulfill a certain role, that might be all we need.  For instance, in the OT example above, I would set those top 2 OTs at the top of the OT depth chart and make sure they are at the end of the OG/C depth chart or not put them on there at all.

Would you guys want to see the next player in the list fill the spot on the initial pass and just let depth chart settings handle this?

2/27/2013 11:03 AM
Since we have different positions and the ability to set different depth charts for each one of them, I think it would make sense to put individual players in the position depth charts in which you want them to play. If you are recruiting to fill certain positions, why would you want to put your T in a C/G depth chart or put an ILB in an OLB depth chart? If you don't have any players left to fill that position due to injury or fatigue, then maybe pull from another depth chart to fill the void.
2/27/2013 7:59 PM (edited)
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 2/26/2013 10:50:00 PM (view original):
Tried the DL line-ups and it works. Thanks Norbert.
OOps! In the game today: Cancel that. #1 Tackle came in at DE DL#1. Settings at 95%. Never came out of the game - even though he was down in the 50's%. Next two tackles filled in at tackles - never came out of the game, and #1 DE came in at #4 DL slot. #4 DL slot was only place substitution occured. Still broken.

In the test game they play the correct positions and it works just fine?!?!?!?!
2/28/2013 2:19 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 2/27/2013 9:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by samson75 on 2/27/2013 1:00:00 AM (view original):
I may be overlooking something, but it seems like if you use the suggested position numbers, and set the depth chart accordingly, it may not be universal.  For instance, in the 4-3, num 3 db is a safety.  However, if you run the nickel, number 3 db is a cornerback. So number 3 is just the 3rd db on the depth chart right?  Is there something I am missing?  Thanks in advance for any info.  I am still a bit confused without the seperate depth charts for safeties and cbs, and trying to figure out how it works. 
If you look at the Formation, it will tell you the slot name inside the trapezoid ...

So for Default nickel, DB1, DB2, and DB3 are CBs and DB4 and DB5 are Safeties.

You pick the player role that plays there (if you are using the advanced settings) by using the dropdown box. If all of them are set to Defensive Back, then yes, it would be the 3rd player listed in the Defensive Back role who plays DB3.

If you assign Cornerback to DB1, DB2, and DB3 and Safety to DB4 and DB5 .. then the top 3 players from the Cornerback Role fill DB1, DB2, and DB3 and the top 2 from the Safety Role fill DB4 and DB5.

I am still missing something.  I have a column for dbs.  For nickel, 1-3 would be cornerbacks, and 4 and 5 on depth chart are safeties.  In the 4-3, which I also use, these numbers don't work because the 3rd cb would become a safety.  You mention Corneback and safety role, but I am not sure I even know what that is.  I understand it theoretically, but not in actuality.  I have looked and looked at the settings and the advanced settings, but as far as I can tell, it draws based on the number in the formation from the DBs and that number will be different in the 4-3 and nickel packages. 

2/28/2013 7:12 PM
Posted by samson75 on 2/28/2013 2:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 2/27/2013 9:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by samson75 on 2/27/2013 1:00:00 AM (view original):
I may be overlooking something, but it seems like if you use the suggested position numbers, and set the depth chart accordingly, it may not be universal.  For instance, in the 4-3, num 3 db is a safety.  However, if you run the nickel, number 3 db is a cornerback. So number 3 is just the 3rd db on the depth chart right?  Is there something I am missing?  Thanks in advance for any info.  I am still a bit confused without the seperate depth charts for safeties and cbs, and trying to figure out how it works. 
If you look at the Formation, it will tell you the slot name inside the trapezoid ...

So for Default nickel, DB1, DB2, and DB3 are CBs and DB4 and DB5 are Safeties.

You pick the player role that plays there (if you are using the advanced settings) by using the dropdown box. If all of them are set to Defensive Back, then yes, it would be the 3rd player listed in the Defensive Back role who plays DB3.

If you assign Cornerback to DB1, DB2, and DB3 and Safety to DB4 and DB5 .. then the top 3 players from the Cornerback Role fill DB1, DB2, and DB3 and the top 2 from the Safety Role fill DB4 and DB5.

I am still missing something.  I have a column for dbs.  For nickel, 1-3 would be cornerbacks, and 4 and 5 on depth chart are safeties.  In the 4-3, which I also use, these numbers don't work because the 3rd cb would become a safety.  You mention Corneback and safety role, but I am not sure I even know what that is.  I understand it theoretically, but not in actuality.  I have looked and looked at the settings and the advanced settings, but as far as I can tell, it draws based on the number in the formation from the DBs and that number will be different in the 4-3 and nickel packages. 

1. Click "Coaching => Defensive Formations"  Menu item.
2. Look in the "Right Side" of the screen for the Box labeled "Formation Setting"
3. In the bottom of the box, make sure the Button says "Use Basic Formations" ... if it says "Use Advanced Formations", click it to turn on Advanced formations.
4. Click the menu item "Coaching => Position Roles".
5.  Look in the "Right Side" of the screen for the Box labeled "Position Roles Setting".
6.  In the bottom of the box, make sure the Button says "Use Basic Roles" ... if it says "Use Advanced Roles", click it to turn on Advanced Roles.

Now you have Advanced Formations and Advanced Roles.

==========

After you have advanced roles and formations ... when you edit a formation, you have Black Text inside the Trapezoids and White Text on top of the Trapezoids.  Click "Coaching => Defensive Formations" and then select the 4-3 Defense.

The Black Text (inside the Trapezoid) is the name of the Slot ... Like DB1 or DB2 (up to the number of DBs that you have total on the field).  The White Text (on top of the Trapezoid) is the Position Role to use in that slot.  Initially you should have DB1, DB2, DB3, and DB4 (black text) ... they all have DB as the Position Role on top of the box (in white text). 

You control the Position Role with the drop down box in the column labeled Depth Chart. 

In the case of the 4-3 defense, you would want to select "Cornerback" for Slot DB1 and DB2 ... you will see the White Text change from DB to CB on top of DB1 and DB2 box.

You would want to set DB3 and DB4 to Safety (in the Depth Chart Column).  You will see the White Text on top of DB3 and DB4 change from DB to S.

Now you have assigned the CB player Role to DB1 and DB2 and the Safety Player Role to DB3 and DB4 ... FOR THAT SPECIFIC FORMATION ... save it and then click the menu item "Coaching => Position Roles"

In the dropdown box, select Defensive Back.  There is where you set the Attributes that you consider important for DB, CB, S, DB User1 and DB User 2.  User1 and User2 are generic names that you can set for whatever you want ... maybe your best run stoppers will be DB User 1 and you can play them against teams that always run.  At the bottom of the screen, you can sort on the columns DB, CB, S, DB1 and DB2 to get sorted scores for those Position Roles.

I open another window and click on "Coaching => Depth Charts" ... then select Defensive Back.  This is where you set the individual Depth Charts for Defensive Back, Corrnerback, Safety, DB User 1. and DB User 2.

That is how Formations, Position Roles, and Depth Charts work together ...

If you Edit the Nickel Formation .. you would set the Depth Chart Column to CB for DB1 and DB2 and DB3 ... and S for DB4 and DB5.

2/28/2013 7:58 PM
ohhh wow!  Ok I missed some of those steps entirely.  I am going to dive into this.  Thanks for all the info Hughes!  Much appreciated. 
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.