3/2/2013 7:28 PM
I bet I win by not setting a gameplan.
3/2/2013 7:31 PM
I have to get drunk, and listen to great music, just to have the capacity to sit down and do formations.
3/2/2013 10:04 PM
Please define the set of music you consider great. I'll start. Blind Faith.
3/2/2013 10:05 PM
Oh, and how do you get drunk. I start with Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA, but 120 when I can afford it and find it.
3/3/2013 1:49 AM
Better copy functions, dropdowns to allow the same aggressiveness / yardage functions to all downs/formations, and the ability to copy 1st down to other downs, are critical to making the setup easier.
3/3/2013 5:23 AM
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading! As a whole, we complained and complained......and complained, mostly because we wanted more control and we wanted game planning to mean more. Now it looks like we're well on our way to getting BOTH, so what do we do? We complain because it's taking too much work to get what we asked for! I guess what we REALLY want, Norbert, is to have total control over our teams, be able to blitz LB's & DB's when we want to, etc., AND we want our offensive & defensive game plans to decide the game outcomes, AND we want to ba able to make all of this happen in 10-15 minutes per day of our time. Not asking much are we? Come on guy's!!!!!!!
3/3/2013 11:05 AM
I quit my beta team before recruiting was over...I just don't have the time or patience to deal with all the settings.  I thought we all wanted a better game engine...not a gazillion settings.  Count me out once 3.0 takes over...you know...like 3 years from now
3/3/2013 12:11 PM (edited)
Posted by coach_deen on 3/3/2013 5:23:00 AM (view original):
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading! As a whole, we complained and complained......and complained, mostly because we wanted more control and we wanted game planning to mean more. Now it looks like we're well on our way to getting BOTH, so what do we do? We complain because it's taking too much work to get what we asked for! I guess what we REALLY want, Norbert, is to have total control over our teams, be able to blitz LB's & DB's when we want to, etc., AND we want our offensive & defensive game plans to decide the game outcomes, AND we want to ba able to make all of this happen in 10-15 minutes per day of our time. Not asking much are we? Come on guy's!!!!!!!
When I was playing 1.0 I would game plan and set my players up against the other team. Version 2.0 was set it and forget it. Read the threads of what people said when 1.0 went to 2.0. As coach deen said, and as it was made apparent by posts after the 1.0 to 2.0 thread transition, 2.0 was dumbed down. We want to be able to PLAY this game. We want to be involved. Perhaps the # crunching is bulky at present, but play HBD and say this is more complicated. Beyond the time it took to recruit, 2.0 took very little time and provided very little control and absolutely no real reason why some things happened. Hopefully through this beta test - no matter how long it takes - we can have a game more refined than 1.0, more interactive than 2.0. If you don't want to play against people who want a human vs human challenge - play Madden.
3/3/2013 1:41 PM
My redshirt freshman played in the first half. Norbert, can you look into this and make any necessary corrections going forward. I have to agree with coach_deen as well. I'll take my time setting up everything over the initial season. If this new version gets rid of the majority of randomness that has been a huge part of the current version then it's worth it. I'd much rather have the end result be more realistic. From what I can see so far it's a step in the right direction.
3/3/2013 2:45 PM
Personally, I never saw a problem with 2.0.  The games i should have won, I won.  The games i should have lost - I lost.  There were a few headscratchers along the way but that happens in real life.  Now this isnt real life and I get that.  I thought that we would have minor tweaking to the engine and have the ability to  set different players into the formation that we run.  I am now runniing the basic formation in beta and last nite I sat down and did my whole gameplan, formations and such for Knox and it took 30 minutes, and that was on an IPad.  Would have been less if I would have been at the computer.   I suggest that everybody concentrate on their teams in the regular worlds so that when this rolls over those teams are built up.  Its going to be hard to see "real results" for a few seasons til we get our own guys in there.  As i say you gotta have the horse to win.
3/3/2013 3:01 PM
Too much for me as well.

Honestly, the best thing about the game and the biggest reason I play, is the enjoyment I get from recruiting season.

The season itself, all the gameplanning, ect, was never what had me hooked, but it wasn't to tough to set a gameplan and a depth chart good enough to win a majority of your games.

This is pretty much overwhelming and because the gameplanning part is not what make the game fun for me, I have little interest in going through the process I see before me.

I would have been just as happy and had just as much fun if they had tweaked recruiting, added 10 more players to each roster to make recruitng even more fun and have the scouting reports you randomly get throughout the season actually tell you something about the random player that actually gave you an idea of his skill.

If this goes into effect, I'll probably continue to play, but because of the time involved, will definitely cut down to one team which is a shame because I enjoyed recruiting in multiple worlds.

While I'm at it, I've never understood, with the amount of open jobs at all levels, why WIS just doesn't get rid of D3, use D2 as the beginning level and fill each division with more human teams in every world.  Guys that enjoy D3 would enjoy D2 just as much.

3/3/2013 3:04 PM
Posted by badaxe on 3/2/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Please define the set of music you consider great. I'll start. Blind Faith.
Jack White
Ben Sollee
MGMT
Muse
3/3/2013 3:07 PM
The only issues we had was punt returns and missed PATs and FGs, just fix those??? Also let us save our recruiting money, 100% not 25%. This isn't Obamanation.
3/4/2013 8:35 AM
All comments regarding the new engine should be welcomed by all.  The good comments and the bad comments.  The guys who have been around since 1.0 as well as people who are relatively new and never saw anything else have perspectives that are important.  (I've only seen 2.0 just FYI).

Norbert and the developers have done a great service by providing the beta.....which allows all of this user input for changes BEFORE it goes live and people have to PAY to play.   This is the time to raise all of the issues that are out there so that they can either be fixed, abandoned, changed, replaced, or perhaps reinforced.

With a few "tweaks" the gameplan setups can be made much easier, thereby reducing a lot of the current complaints (including mine).   The overall objective is POSITIVE CHANGE and we are all fortunate to be able to participate in that.

So, with that being said, lets us all raise specific issues, with specific suggestions for change.  Lets not make Norbert guess as to what we think or make blanket comments.

As a side note, I just won a NC in D3 after like 22 seasons....and I made the FEWEST gameplan changes during the course of the season than I have ever made.  Gameplanning still mattered IMO, but it appeared that once I've zeroed in on some settings, the talent behind the gameplans was way more important than the individual gameplan settings.  It appears that GD 3.0 will change that which I think is a positive step.
3/4/2013 8:42 AM
After 8 years of WIS, v3 will force me to retire.
of 3

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.