All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > How Much Should Talent, Game Planning & Pure Luck
3/10/2013 1:22 PM
If it were broken down into 100% I think talent should be about 50%, game planning 40% and pure luck (the "bounce of the ball") 10%. How do you feel?
3/10/2013 2:07 PM
I think talent should way a little heavier, maybe 60/30/10...winning a game where your team is outmatched should be an uphill battle just like in real life
3/10/2013 6:02 PM
I'll vote for both of those as long as luck is less than 10%.
3/10/2013 6:42 PM
It depends on what is meant by game planning. If a team is doing something just ridiculous like playing a Heavy Pass defense out of the Dime against their opponent's power running game from the WB or ND Box, or they are conservatively running the ball on 3rd and 8 in a close game, then yes, even if they have a decisive talent advantage, their opponent should be able to overcome that in a lot of ways. That said, if we are talking about a person with a brain in their head, who sets up a reasonable game plan, makes minor adjustments, and doesn't have their players out of position too often, then talent should account for at least 80% of the game result.

A person who thinks that the talent level of the players that we are all recruiting should only be accounting for 50% of the games results isn't looking to play the same football simulation that I am.
3/10/2013 10:02 PM
Posted by fakelouholtz on 3/10/2013 6:42:00 PM (view original):
It depends on what is meant by game planning. If a team is doing something just ridiculous like playing a Heavy Pass defense out of the Dime against their opponent's power running game from the WB or ND Box, or they are conservatively running the ball on 3rd and 8 in a close game, then yes, even if they have a decisive talent advantage, their opponent should be able to overcome that in a lot of ways. That said, if we are talking about a person with a brain in their head, who sets up a reasonable game plan, makes minor adjustments, and doesn't have their players out of position too often, then talent should account for at least 80% of the game result.

A person who thinks that the talent level of the players that we are all recruiting should only be accounting for 50% of the games results isn't looking to play the same football simulation that I am.
++++1
3/10/2013 11:09 PM
Posted by fakelouholtz on 3/10/2013 6:42:00 PM (view original):

Ok... let's take a look at an entirely different scenario.  Suppose an opponent has a more talented team, and always passes out of say, the pro-set formation and always runs out of the I-formation set but overall, he runs 50% of the time and passes 50% of the time.  I would argue that I should be able to overcome his talent advantage if I set my defense to play the pass when he runs Pro-Set and play the run when he runs I-formation (for example).  What do you think?
3/11/2013 12:03 AM
If one team is more talented than another across the board, I think that team should win in any way they choose.
3/11/2013 12:07 AM
@ slid64er then that's kind of stupid.  Why bother have gameplanning? Might as well call the game recruiting wars then... that's not to say talent shouldn't matter... because it should immensely, but if someone wholly outgameplans their opponent, they should be able to close the gap.
3/11/2013 12:12 AM
Posted by luvableloser on 3/10/2013 2:07:00 PM (view original):
I think talent should way a little heavier, maybe 60/30/10...winning a game where your team is outmatched should be an uphill battle just like in real life
60/30/10  sounds about right to me.   
3/11/2013 12:12 AM
as for pure luck, I think it should account for almost nothing...there's nothing more infuriating to a coach then to put out a superior game plan and have superior talent level and yet somehow lose to blind luck.  I personally think there's way too much variation right now... game results vary wildly from game to game.
3/11/2013 12:46 AM
Personnel 40%, game planning and strategy 60%.  The uncertainty - or what you call luck - should be part of the game planning and strategy quotient not some rigidly programmed automatic 'X% upsets' silliness.  If you'll allow a poker analogy, there's a reason why there are some acknowledged masters of the game yet the opportunity exists for a less experienced player to win - if he understands the game and plays his hands better than the competition. That's how this should work. 
3/11/2013 12:47 AM
Posted by slid64er on 3/11/2013 12:03:00 AM (view original):
If one team is more talented than another across the board, I think that team should win in any way they choose.
See ND v Alabama. Man that game was ugly. Man Te'o looked lost.
3/11/2013 12:52 AM
@ eddy02 except in that game... I don't think Saban got outgameplanned.  If anything, he is the guy who both gameplans well and recruits well, which is why when given a month to prepare for some poor team, they usually get blown out.
3/11/2013 8:50 AM
Very true. The discussion on this thread got me thinking about talent differential vs game planning for that game. I tend to look for point of reference to compare to, which can be dangerous since this is a sim and it's hard to mimic real life 100%. But I had not looked deeper into the NC.

I'd like to see 60/30/10 as others had voted.

3/11/2013 9:25 AM
Even though I initially said 50/40/10 others arguments have swayed me. I too now would agree with 60/30/10...
of 3
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > How Much Should Talent, Game Planning & Pure Luck

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.