All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Norbert wants feedback on rushing....
4/3/2013 10:01 PM
I'm just having a hard time trying to wrap my head around some of this stuff. Now, firstly I will say that I am testing against a team that is CLEARLY not on the same level I am when you compare my offense to their defense. So, with that said, I don't think I would ever pass if this were to happen against lower teams. 

Stafford QB 6 64 10.7 2 1 43 0.00 0 0-0  
Walton RB 6 21 3.5 1 0 7 0.00 0 0-0  
McNeill RB 24 254 10.6 2 2 79 0.08 0 0-0  
Moseley WR 1 45 45.0 1 1 45 0.00 0 0-0  
Carson WR 1 14 14.0 0 0 14 0.00 0 0-0  
Green RB 3 30 10.0 0 0 18 0.00 0 0-0

RB 48.5
WR 39.5
OL 44.4

vs. 

DL 33.3
LB 32.0
DB 38.8

So clearly the offensive advantage is pretty substantial. I think that maybe it will work itself out when passing gets fixed. I mean 10 ypc is not huge considering the advantage. I just haven't seen someone get 10 ypc over 24 carries this consistently before. Any thoughts on it? 

4/3/2013 11:08 PM
Guess if I had more recruiting to do I wouldn't be sitting here hitting f5...there was a day that this forum was at least three times as chatty. Oh well. For the record if it works here is the player that is raking up big time numbers against 3/4's of the teams in DIII in test games right now. http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/PlayerProfile/Blog.aspx?pid=23272
4/4/2013 11:42 AM
If I am reading the stats correctly, he basically got two 20+ carries in that game which is how you get 254 yards.  I'm really not sure if this is what we want or not.  The offense is clearly a better offense and averaging over 10 points more in the relevant ratings.  Is this what people want to see with this sort of advantage?  Too high?

Do you also know how the offenses and defenses were set up?  What is the offense running out of and how is the defense set up against it?

4/4/2013 1:23 PM
I think this is in the general area of what we should see with that big of a difference in teams. 
4/4/2013 1:27 PM (edited)
I was running primarily out of pro-set and I-form. The guy I am testing against looks to be using the base 3-4 playbook set. I'm just trying to get discussion on it, as there really hasn't been much discussion on the rushing results. It was a run heavy gameplan, but when I run it on my other team the run/pass differentiation is clearly different. Probably because McNeill is so good that 2nd and 3rd downs are rarely long. I've seen him rush as many as 35 times and in that game he got over 300 yards. There is more variability the better the team he runs against is of course. 

I'm kindof in a quandary over this. Because I don't think its realistic or good to have a player rush for potentially 3-5k yards in a season, but I also don't want for overtly bad teams to be competitive. I'm not sure on the answer, just hoping we could discuss the merits of having this drastic a difference and whether the cause is simulation or maybe there is a talent distribution problem on the low end. 

I just don't see why anyone with a running back this good would ever pass the ball. Then you go against a good team and you have to start passing. I ran the ball 41 times for well over 10 ypc in this game, and it wasn't a fluke game this was about what I saw as the average being. I don't want for any change to this to mean this terrible team could compete with a very good team. Hopefully someone knows what I mean. 
4/4/2013 9:14 PM
Posted by dewagne on 4/4/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):
I think this is in the general area of what we should see with that big of a difference in teams. 
+1
4/5/2013 1:21 AM
+1 I agree
4/5/2013 9:00 AM
Posted by noah23 on 4/3/2013 11:08:00 PM (view original):
Guess if I had more recruiting to do I wouldn't be sitting here hitting f5...there was a day that this forum was at least three times as chatty. Oh well. For the record if it works here is the player that is raking up big time numbers against 3/4's of the teams in DIII in test games right now. http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/PlayerProfile/Blog.aspx?pid=23272
He's got good numbers across the board and an ELU rating of 80.  I'm not surprised by his stats. 
4/5/2013 9:15 AM
Posted by bjaygee on 4/5/2013 9:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by noah23 on 4/3/2013 11:08:00 PM (view original):
He's got good numbers across the board and an ELU rating of 80.  I'm not surprised by his stats. 
Its not really a matter of surprise. Tho, I will say you don't need to have a RB this good to have similar stats.Guess I just think a team that is this bad should be a rarity and not widespread like it seems to be. 
4/5/2013 11:08 AM
You also have to consider that in a real GD setting, if you had an RB like this in a game and saw he rushed most of the time, you would probably see the defense tend towards more of a rushing defense to try to step him.  So really the question I would like answered is what does his numbers look like if he is facing a defense focused more on the run than the standard 3-4 playbook is?

It looks like in more evenly matched games, his numbers are more realistic.  I'm kind of leaning towards this is where we want to be with a disclaimer that everything can always stand to be tweaked now and again.  In fact, I think if we could test with all sorts of match ups, you would want to have some high TKL numbers on your defense to counter a high ELU player.  If that works out as a counter, then it really builds into the idea that you would want to find a high TKL DB as perhaps your SS to help against the run in these situations.  That's the type of stuff I want to see with the new engine.

4/5/2013 2:53 PM
ah..ok. So I will run some games and find a median effort against  better defenses. I know that in the established worlds there are fewer teams that are just terrible too. I'll go hunting for teams that are about equal to this one to find one that maybe has a better defensive gameplan against the run. 
4/5/2013 4:19 PM
The other thing that kind of skews the testing right now is that the generated JR/SR class for the Beta teams (new worlds) are probably slightly higher rated players than what you normally find in DIII JR/SR classes.  Still good to look at results, but keep in mind the balance of players is generally a little better in real GD worlds.  In a couple seasons we should have those players worked off of teams to get us a better idea of what top teams will look like in DIII.
4/5/2013 10:12 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/5/2013 11:08:00 AM (view original):
You also have to consider that in a real GD setting, if you had an RB like this in a game and saw he rushed most of the time, you would probably see the defense tend towards more of a rushing defense to try to step him.  So really the question I would like answered is what does his numbers look like if he is facing a defense focused more on the run than the standard 3-4 playbook is?

It looks like in more evenly matched games, his numbers are more realistic.  I'm kind of leaning towards this is where we want to be with a disclaimer that everything can always stand to be tweaked now and again.  In fact, I think if we could test with all sorts of match ups, you would want to have some high TKL numbers on your defense to counter a high ELU player.  If that works out as a counter, then it really builds into the idea that you would want to find a high TKL DB as perhaps your SS to help against the run in these situations.  That's the type of stuff I want to see with the new engine.

Norbert, you're right - checking the stats when/if the player comes up against a run focused defense offering equal talent will provide a truer picture.  It sure looks like you've developed an engine in which gameplanning and talent matter again.  
4/8/2013 3:12 PM
Rushing still seems too high.  I am playing all run on first and second downs.  Players are rushing in the 150 yard range against me.
4/9/2013 1:45 PM
Posted by johnnyluv151 on 4/8/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Rushing still seems too high.  I am playing all run on first and second downs.  Players are rushing in the 150 yard range against me.
What are those rushers ratings and how does the other team compare to yours in blocking?
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Norbert wants feedback on rushing....

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.