4/8/2013 5:10 PM
So far Beta has been running pretty good for myself. I will go through both the pros and cons

PROS-

1: Able to adjust settings and formations to a precise setting

2: Talent ACTUALLY matters, unlike in the current engine with my stacked super teams I only have a 50-50 of winning with a team rating of 50+ points more than my opponent in this beta engine, that will almost never happen which it shouldn't cause the teams aren't on an even playing field.

3: The detailed play by play allows user to understand more in depth of what is happening and why.

CONS-

1: Running is out of control, the QB's still a little high not to far off figuring the people griping are running their QB EVERY play for the entire game so I don't think that's much of issue just needs to come down a little. Running backs still need to come down a bit as well.

2: Passing hasn't been worked on but needs to be, as it is definetely the losing option as of right now.

OVERALL- The engine is working well and obviously needs some fine tuning, I think that we all got what we wanted to some degree that the better team wins. Which is great for me personally since I can recruit/ build a team but can't coach my way out of  a shoe box lol.

4/9/2013 11:25 AM
I bet you would change your opinion if you lost to SIM teams every game! I'm sticking with 2.0. This new version is ridiculous. I have triple checked depth charts, player settings, etc etc etc and STILL i get the same results, 0 wins!
4/9/2013 1:41 PM
I think that Beta has the potential to be a better product. However, the amount of time required for setup and maintenance is daunting.
I did not have much time the first season to learn, however I have spent more time on it this season and I do like it.
4/9/2013 3:09 PM
@tarrin-I seem to whoop Sim AI's into oblivion so maybe something is wrong with your team?
4/9/2013 10:14 PM
I won't say I blow sim's to oblivion-but I think they are easier to beat (so far) than in 2.0. 2.0 always seems to have a surprise sim game that is too close to call.
As for 3.0, I would expect the competition from sim's to increase as the game is refined.
4/10/2013 6:56 AM
I agree with jfootball88 & hazing, sim's are easier for me to handle in 3.0 so far too...
4/10/2013 12:36 PM
I doubt there's something wrong with my team. I didn't get to where i am at in 2.0 by chance or luck. Years of being mentored by different HOF coaches with multiple NCs is how i became successful in this game. My record speaks for itself. Maybe if there was more DETAILED info on how depth charts affect player settings etc. All 2.0 needed was a few minor tweaks here and there. But instead, we get a complete overhaul of what we're used to. Recruiting, depth charts, game planning isn't even CLOSE to how it is in 2.0. Maybe i misunderstood when the news came out about "fixing" the game. I can see it now, HOF coaches getting killed by sims and not making the playoffs while NEW or less experienced coaches are winning NCs. Then again, GONE are the days of coaches helping each other understand how to play the game. And i feel sorry for the coaches who aren't testing the beta 3.0, they're going to be LOST and eventually get frustrated and quit. Hope it was worth it.
4/10/2013 1:58 PM (edited)
"HOF coaches getting killed by sims and not making the playoffs while NEW or less experienced coaches are winning NCs."  That's an excellent description of 2.0.  You might add "Talent doesn't matter" and "Coin flip" while you're at it.  The new engine, whatever its faults, does several important things very well.

1. It rewards better recruiters and allows them to leverage talent advantages.
2. It makes gameplanning relevant.  An undertalented team can beat a better compeitior with a superior gameplan.
3. It provides an easily understood 'cause and effect' relationship so that coaches can improve their opportunities to win. I can't imagine anyone losing to a SIM running the default offense and defense settings unless the talent differential is huge.

That said, I think passing is still nerfed but norbert said he'll be delaing with that eventually.  Some of the beta controls may be cumbersome but they're BETA. You may disagree but I am firmly convinced that 3.0 represents a quantum leap forward.      
4/10/2013 2:14 PM
Posted by bjaygee on 4/10/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):
"HOF coaches getting killed by sims and not making the playoffs while NEW or less experienced coaches are winning NCs."  That's an excellent description of 2.0.  You might add "Talent doesn't matter" and "Coin flip" while you're at it.  The new engine, whatever its faults, does several important things very well.

2. It makes gameplanning relevant.  An undertalented team can beat a better compeitior with a superior gameplan.
3. It provides an easily understood 'cause and effect' relationship so that coaches can improve their opportunities to win. I can't imagine anyone losing to a SIM running the default offense and defense settings unless the talent differential is huge.

That said, I think passing is still nerfed but norbert said he'll be delaing with that eventually.  Some of the beta controls may be cumbersome but they're BETA. You may disagree but I am firmly convinced that 3.0 represents a quantum leap forward.      
I've never had that problem in 2.0. Yeah once in a while a SIM would pull off the upset, but not every game like in 3.0. And i agree the layout etc is awesome and more detailed, but the drop down menus that i was used to have changed. For example, stamina USED to go from "fresh" to "very tired". NOW it's 60% to 90% rest level. So does that mean if i have a player with 40 stamina, 70% would be his rest level or should it be lower or higher? It was easier to determine the substitution of a player when using the fresh to very tired format. I'm gettin killed in games and i check the PBP and i see players all in the RED even tho % is set low for low stamina, and high for high stamina. Maybe i'm totally wrong with how rest level is implemented in 3.0. Wish we had info about that.

4/10/2013 2:17 PM
Also, OL is all messed up now that it's separated into OT and OG/C. I have set OL depth charts accordingly based on the list when clicking OT or OG/C. But still, my BEST OL is playing RG instead of LT where i have him listed in the depth chart. Hope that made sense, i dunno any other way to explain without posting a pic lol
4/10/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by tarrin on 4/10/2013 2:17:00 PM (view original):
Also, OL is all messed up now that it's separated into OT and OG/C. I have set OL depth charts accordingly based on the list when clicking OT or OG/C. But still, my BEST OL is playing RG instead of LT where i have him listed in the depth chart. Hope that made sense, i dunno any other way to explain without posting a pic lol
So don't separate them.  You can still use the OL base depth chart and just set every slot to OL as it is in 2.0.

4/10/2013 2:53 PM
Posted by tarrin on 4/10/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bjaygee on 4/10/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):

I've never had that problem in 2.0. Yeah once in a while a SIM would pull off the upset, but not every game like in 3.0. And i agree the layout etc is awesome and more detailed, but the drop down menus that i was used to have changed. For example, stamina USED to go from "fresh" to "very tired". NOW it's 60% to 90% rest level. So does that mean if i have a player with 40 stamina, 70% would be his rest level or should it be lower or higher? It was easier to determine the substitution of a player when using the fresh to very tired format. I'm gettin killed in games and i check the PBP and i see players all in the RED even tho % is set low for low stamina, and high for high stamina. Maybe i'm totally wrong with how rest level is implemented in 3.0. Wish we had info about that.

Not sure how you are interpreting rest level, but it's just how much fatigue the player has.  The player starts out at 100% and fatigues as the game goes on.  80% is 80% regardless of the Stamina.  Stamina just determines how quickly the player gets to 80%.  If they are at 80% then it means they are playing at 80% of their capacity.  The "fresh" terminology you see in the 2.0 settings has a percentage next to it.  It's the same exact thing only it just shows percentage now.  I didn't think people really needed to have a "fresh" thrown on a percentage, plus what I define as fresh might be different from what you define as fresh.
4/10/2013 3:30 PM
Where are you finding that your LT is playing RG?
4/10/2013 3:35 PM
I will just point out that tmk nothing has changed about recruiting at all. 
4/10/2013 4:01 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/10/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
So don't separate them.  You can still use the OL base depth chart and just set every slot to OL as it is in 2.0.

Oh ok, see that's what i wanted to know. I had no idea we could leave the OT and OG/C drop down menus blank. IF i just use the base depth chart, what determines which players are designated OT and OG/C, the numbers that are designated to that position in the formations?
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.