All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > v3 Recruiting: Curbing Late Round Poaching
5/7/2013 10:34 PM

I agree with Sleeper....

5/8/2013 12:07 AM
Well put Sleeper.

5/8/2013 2:57 AM
So you say your being poached-but you can't even define what you mean by that term?

Tells me it's not poaching but simply a recruiting battle against a school that is much closer-where his money goes a lot further. You're simply being out recruited.

Maybe you can give the NCAA a call to give the death penalty to the offending school-just like Oklahoma and Texas did to SMU in the 80's when they were being out recruited. I mean Oklahoma (the school that bought Marcus DuPree's mother a house to get him to commit) was crying.
5/8/2013 4:18 AM
to me the answer is: don't get mad; get even. Remember poaching is part of recruiting. so keep a log. move up a division spend the next 5 seasons destroying the guy. Patiently wait to see who he targets. Take everyone of his recruits on the very LAST cycle before signing starts. If/when he moves up to d2, you move up to d1AA. Rinse/repeat. He will complain to customer service to no avail. He will move to another world. and oh BTW, might think twice about his recruiting habits.
5/8/2013 7:27 AM
hazing:

i believe i did define it, and pretty well at that. your defense of it appears to be based on ... heck, i don't know.

i recruit by scouting and comparing and hunting for kids that fit my style of play, that offer a good combination of ability now with potential for later. what i don't do is wait around for others to do the work and then pick them off later.

i don't know how you approach recruiting, but if the latter approach is your idea of doing it better, then i guess everyone here will take note. and you won't mind if they do it to you.

your opinion on this topic appears to be in the minority. if i'm wrong, let others speak up. but right now, i'd say myself and others have made a good case for an adjustment in v3, one that will balance things a bit in this regard.

5/8/2013 9:23 AM
To me, poaching is finding a recruit that is already green to another coach, and intentionally waiting until the last cycle before signing to jump on the recruit, using enough cash so that the recruit signs with you and the other coach doesn't have an opportunity to react. It's a valid recruiting tactic that is allowed by the rules but is frowned upon by some coaches. While I've done it when I felt the need, I'm the first to admit that it's too damn easy right now. A recruit turned green by an AC scout on the first cycle can be turned yellow by an AC scout on the last cycle. That means while you've got the guy green for 16 cycles, the recruits interest in your school didn't increase. That doesn't seem realistic, and it encourages poaching.

Fortunately, according to WIS there's already a mechanism that adds "compound interest" to your early recruiting efforts. This was one of the reasons given for changing the 1st recruiting cycle to 24 hours. It's just a matter of bumping up the % increase until it means something after a day or so. It'd be nice if norbert could tweak that in the beta so we could give it a spin. Also, another thing that might help is an "Anatomy of a Recruiting Battle". Currently it's kinda vague about exactly what the different buffs are and how much they're worth.

5/8/2013 10:57 AM
Who is a recruit gonna pay more attention to:
The team who sent their AC to watch his game then never talked to him again, thinking they had him in the bag?

Or

The team that shows interest most recently?

That alone is enough to change the mind of a recruit, in GD AND in RL
5/8/2013 12:09 PM
I don't indulge in the practce but I learned a long time ago that a recruit isn't yours until he's signed.  Period. You don't own him just because he's green or you've invested in him. Every coach is or should be committed to signing the best recruits possible and building his team. Why that should translate to 'oh, he's green..nevermind', I have no idea.  
5/8/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by sleeper99 on 5/8/2013 7:27:00 AM (view original):
hazing:

i believe i did define it, and pretty well at that. your defense of it appears to be based on ... heck, i don't know.

i recruit by scouting and comparing and hunting for kids that fit my style of play, that offer a good combination of ability now with potential for later. what i don't do is wait around for others to do the work and then pick them off later.

i don't know how you approach recruiting, but if the latter approach is your idea of doing it better, then i guess everyone here will take note. and you won't mind if they do it to you.

your opinion on this topic appears to be in the minority. if i'm wrong, let others speak up. but right now, i'd say myself and others have made a good case for an adjustment in v3, one that will balance things a bit in this regard.

No you did NOT define it. Your response was "regardless of how you want to legalise the definition of poaching" and the silly little "prima facie" term on a WIS forum.

If recruting starts for humans on Friday at noon and signing starts sunday at noon-at which cycle do YOU think the poaching occurs? I cannot get any more specific about my question.

Your avoidance of specifically answering the question left me to surmise that you were not poached. That someone started recruiting a day later than you. But since you avoid the answering the question-I can only surmise.

As for you erroneous conclusion-I have never poached, but I have had recruits poached a player. I consider poaching to occur 1 or 2 cycles before the signing period.  The closest I get to recruiting a player someone else is on is in the first 4 cycles when recruiting begins. So if recrutiing starts on a friday at noon-the latest I look to battle another coach is Friday 9pm cycle. After that, I think it is too much of a crapshoot to risk.

I've even had a coach that I had helped with advice poach a player of mine. I don't cry like a little girl-I take note of the owner and remember that I owe them one.
5/8/2013 1:37 PM
hazing,

little girl? heh.

you really should know more about a person, what they've done, where they've fought and what they're capable of doing, before you start trying to pick a fight, son.

now, you seem to think that the v2 way of handling recruiting is perfect. fine. i and others don't, and see an imbalance in how it handles things. it seems maybe the best way to move forward a this point before you wreck yourself is to have norbert put things to a poll vote and see where the majority of opinion lies.

norbert, what say you?

5/8/2013 2:50 PM
Posted by sleeper99 on 5/8/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
hazing,

little girl? heh.

you really should know more about a person, what they've done, where they've fought and what they're capable of doing, before you start trying to pick a fight, son.

now, you seem to think that the v2 way of handling recruiting is perfect. fine. i and others don't, and see an imbalance in how it handles things. it seems maybe the best way to move forward a this point before you wreck yourself is to have norbert put things to a poll vote and see where the majority of opinion lies.

norbert, what say you?

"you really should know more about a person, what they've done, where they've fought and what they're capable of doing, before you start trying to pick a fight, son." WOW, you're threatening me? And I'm not your son there chuckles.

And you might want to take your own advice about knowing more about a person-this is the second threat from you-the first was about being targeted in gameplay (from you "i don't know how you approach recruiting, but if the latter approach is your idea of doing it better, then i guess everyone here will take note. and you won't mind if they do it to you.").

I asked you one simple question, numerous times and you REFUSE to answer it.

I will assume it's because you are not being poached. You seem to have a sense that if you are the first there-that player is your recruit. WRONG chuckles.

v2? Is that GD version 2.0 or a V-2 rocket?

"before I wreck myself'? On what, your refusal to answer a specific question. What do you think is poaching-specifically?
5/9/2013 9:11 AM (edited)
alright, kid. here you go:

two seasons ago i had a coach come in on the round before signing and snipe a recruit. i think that's poaching.

last season the same coach came in on the signing round and sniped another recruit. that's poaching. the same coach has indicated to me that is a tactic he uses because it works and is easy.

this season a different coach came in on the round before signing and sniped a recruit. he also did the same thing to another coach in his own conference. yeah, i think that's poaching.

those are the most recent examples and there have been plenty of others over the seasons.

now, you and others may think that sort of thing is fine and nothing needs to be changed. myself and others think they do. so the arguments have been presented and lines have been drawn, and now i say that it's up to norbert to proceed if and how he sees fit. i'm done hashing it here.

finally, if you think i've made threats, you've truly lived a sheltered life. but if you want to keep yapping at me, pm me and let the other guys on here get on with their day.
5/8/2013 4:44 PM
Posted by sleeper99 on 5/8/2013 4:27:00 PM (view original):
alright, kid. here you go:

two seasons ago i had a coach come in on the round before signing and snipe a recruit. i think that's poaching.

last season the same coach came in on the signing round and sniped another recruit. that's poaching. the same coach has indicated to me that is a tactic he uses because it works and is easy.

this season a different coach came in on the round before signing and sniped a recruit. he also did the same thing to another coach in his own conference. yeah, i think that's poaching.

those are the most recent examples and there have been plenty of others over the seasons.

now, you and others may think that sort of thing is fine and nothing needs to be changed. myself and others think they do. so the arguments have been presented and lines have been drawn and now i say that it's up to norbert to proceed as he may see fit. i'm done hashing it here.

finally, if you think i've made threats, you've truly lived a sheltered life. but if you want to keep yapping at me, pm me and let the other guys on here get on with their day.
No offense, but if it works and it's easy, maybe that's on you.  You turned him green, and concluded that he was safe and no further effort was required.  You were proven wrong. Could be there's something to be learned.
5/8/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 5/8/2013 4:18:00 AM (view original):
to me the answer is: don't get mad; get even. Remember poaching is part of recruiting. so keep a log. move up a division spend the next 5 seasons destroying the guy. Patiently wait to see who he targets. Take everyone of his recruits on the very LAST cycle before signing starts. If/when he moves up to d2, you move up to d1AA. Rinse/repeat. He will complain to customer service to no avail. He will move to another world. and oh BTW, might think twice about his recruiting habits.
Zed got even with Damauler and everybody wanted to lynch him.  Getting even is considered greifing and people have been suspended for it and compensations given to teams thet were greifed.
5/8/2013 5:58 PM
The question I have is of those that were "poached" how many were undecided that you only had ~1500 on?  IF that were the case and someone came in cycle before recruiting put 2-3K on them and signed them I have no problem with that.  I would of course get my revenge but I didn't really have a lot invested on that player.  Now if it was a recruit you knocked a SIM off of and he is green then in one cycle he signs with another team that I would have a big problem with.
of 3
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > v3 Recruiting: Curbing Late Round Poaching

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.