All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Recruit generation/Engine problems
7/21/2013 1:11 PM
What if, in the worst of the 120-0 games..we actually had the closest engine to what would be considered perfect (or closer then what is right now)? What if one of the things that has made it necessary to artificially nerf results of games was never an engine problem. Can I please ask why this quarterback even exists?

http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx?rid=425115&section=Ratings

Invariably this guy will get signed by somebody. To me, him playing football is the equivalent of letting a guy hitting .050 with no defense play major league baseball. He just doesn't have the minimum skills necessary to even play at a dIII level. If maybe, he was athletic to an extent and could be used in a veer type of offense, maybe he could have these skills and make a team. Maybe, it is ok for a team made up of players like him to get beat 120-0, but that doesn't mean its ok to have players like him in the game. Existence of players like this makes it more difficult to evaluate any engine they throw at us. As, not only do guys like this make teams, they start for teams. The answer isn't to nerf human recruiting, the answer is to narrow the talent gap for intradivisional recruits.

Why am I wrong?
7/21/2013 1:25 PM
He exists because - in Conte's normalized world - he is not as poor as his ratings suggest.
7/21/2013 1:32 PM
But, if our goal is to get rid of normalization, shouldn't recruit generation be changed?
7/21/2013 1:33 PM
Why would anyone sign him?  Maybe a SIM, but who cares about them?  When a world is full this argument is non sequitur.  
7/21/2013 1:36 PM
The worlds will not be full, and every recruit gets signed.
7/21/2013 1:38 PM
If we went down to 2 worlds...maybe we would have full worlds. Even in a full world, there is no significant amount of "extra" players that don't get signed. Nearly every, if not every player generated is signed by a team.
7/21/2013 2:01 PM
slid64er's point is that no human would sign that recruit, so who cares?  Making sure that sims have equal talent and can contend is irrelevant. I agree. 
7/21/2013 2:10 PM (edited)
Posted by noah23 on 7/21/2013 1:36:00 PM (view original):
The worlds will not be full, and every recruit gets signed.
Every recruit does not get signed.  
The worlds were full in 1.0 when coaching won games.
7/21/2013 2:08 PM
Posted by noah23 on 7/21/2013 1:38:00 PM (view original):
If we went down to 2 worlds...maybe we would have full worlds. Even in a full world, there is no significant amount of "extra" players that don't get signed. Nearly every, if not every player generated is signed by a team.
You should do some recruit searches on the last day of signing.  There is a huge pool of players left unsigned.  In the past when my schedule has jammed up my recruiting, I have put together deep playoff worthy classes with nothing but last day signees.
7/21/2013 5:17 PM
Posted by slid64er on 7/21/2013 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by noah23 on 7/21/2013 1:38:00 PM (view original):
You should do some recruit searches on the last day of signing.  There is a huge pool of players left unsigned.  In the past when my schedule has jammed up my recruiting, I have put together deep playoff worthy classes with nothing but last day signees.
7/21/2013 8:03 PM
Except I have, and there were zero recruits in most positions within 1000 miles. "huge pool of players" would have at least a couple within a thousand miles right? In order to get any to show up at all I had to use "any" to get any position specific results.
7/21/2013 8:09 PM
Again, why is it necessary to have players in the pool that simply cannot play football. Lose the excuses, why?
7/21/2013 9:03 PM
I have suggested that they make attributes more related to the players in the past, but it always gets shot down. Why don't we have QB's who have rating called - PASSING? Blocking should be blocking (which should include all the factors like strength and technique). Players who touch the ball should have an attribute called "Ball Control". I came up with many ideas once, but they are stored now deep into the computer.

7/21/2013 9:17 PM
Posted by noah23 on 7/21/2013 8:03:00 PM (view original):
Except I have, and there were zero recruits in most positions within 1000 miles. "huge pool of players" would have at least a couple within a thousand miles right? In order to get any to show up at all I had to use "any" to get any position specific results.
You're lying unless you're recruiting from Hawaii. 
7/21/2013 9:26 PM
Posted by noah23 on 7/21/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):
Again, why is it necessary to have players in the pool that simply cannot play football. Lose the excuses, why?
Don't know and don't care.  I won't recruit them, you won't recruit them, they won't wind up on any decently recruited human team.  Just like high school kids who want to play football at the next level but just don't have the physical skills to do it. 

You're advocating a game where talent doesn't matter or the talent differential is neutralized by giving everyone the same recruits.  To each his own, but many coaches have already spoken on the matter with their wallets.  I'm guessing many others are like me and holding on by a thread.  If I didn't have so much credit from my last bet, I would probably be gone.  As it stands I want to use my credits in a game where there are differentials in talent and those differentials make a difference in plays and games.

Recruiting is the only thing in this game that isn't screwed up right now.  Can it be improved?  Sure.  But the engine is in need of far more attention and wasting time on recruiting won't do anything to improve the game.
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Recruit generation/Engine problems

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.