7/27/2013 7:46 PM
I had a WR catch passes behind the LOS, when no WR on my team are designated to run that pattern. It was called "very Short" on the PBP.

Can't get my TE to catch anything, but I have WR running where they aren't supposed to be?
7/27/2013 11:41 PM
Katz, you should be excited that a WR caught a pass...in D3 Bava, 8 of the top 10 leaders in receptions are RBs.  I think the SIM assumes every QB is 7 years old and can't throw more than 10 yards:)
7/28/2013 12:36 AM
In this game I'm surprised it didn't say the QB rolled out and GAVE it to the WR!
7/28/2013 2:13 AM
When is the TE issue gonna get fixed and will that be only if your in advanced?

8/3/2013 4:30 PM (edited)
2:43 Own 34 1st & 10   OFF: Notre Dame Box    DEF: 4-3
94 QB Charles Thompson
95 OL1 Patrick Graham
96 OL2 Corey Brandt
96 OL3 James Ellison
95 OL4 Joseph Stein
96 OL5 Roy Shaw
97 TE1 Edward Wright
100 TE2 Alfred Brown
95 RB1 Steven McKinney
100 RB2 Victor Powell
100 WR James Lopez

91 DL1 Joseph Ryan
93 DL2 Raymond Keller
92 DL3 Frank Hardin
92 DL4 Robert Brown
92 LB1 Jeffrey Sharpe
92 LB2 Adam Gomez
95 LB3 John Phillips
94 CB1 Tom Cooper
92 CB2 Robert Smith
93 SS Harold Murray
99 FS Steven Lee

Charles Thompson takes the snap and drops back to pass. [Pass Defense - medium cover] Lopez(Smith,Lee,Murray,) is covered at the ULV 48 (long). McKinney(Gomez,Murray,Lee,) is covered at the USS 44 (medium). Thompson throws to a covered Lopez(Smith,) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). Lopez makes the catch. Lopez is tackled by Adam Gomez at the USS 37. 3 yards on the play.

I found this sme problem today - shows settings aren't really working. Lopez (WR set to long and deep) covered 18 yards downfield at first look. QB looks medium and then throws to this same WR set for long and deep BEHIND the LOS?!?!?!?!!? So he ran all the way back upfield for the pass?!!?!?! C'mon guys - this wasn't broke before you fixed it!
8/3/2013 7:15 PM
What is the TE issue alluded to?  I am noticing with a pro set offense that the QB absolutely never throws to the TE no matter how I set it up.
8/4/2013 12:45 AM
Posted by psuarva on 8/3/2013 7:15:00 PM (view original):
What is the TE issue alluded to?  I am noticing with a pro set offense that the QB absolutely never throws to the TE no matter how I set it up.
He isn't, but oriole has said he's working on it, just has other things ahead of it is my guess. I think all of us, myself included, are competitive and forget or get frustrated when beta keeps us from doing what we want/need to do to win. My Pitt St. team was built from day one to run the ND and throw primarily to my TE's. I even converted 2 WR's to TE to create mismatches and now TE's aren't catching any passes! (LOL)
8/4/2013 11:17 AM
Posted by coach_deen on 8/4/2013 12:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by psuarva on 8/3/2013 7:15:00 PM (view original):
He isn't, but oriole has said he's working on it, just has other things ahead of it is my guess. I think all of us, myself included, are competitive and forget or get frustrated when beta keeps us from doing what we want/need to do to win. My Pitt St. team was built from day one to run the ND and throw primarily to my TE's. I even converted 2 WR's to TE to create mismatches and now TE's aren't catching any passes! (LOL)
Those other things include the defense being able to learn the plays and get better.   Get ready for awesome.   

TEs were always great to have, I did the same thing with converting my TEs.  The good news is, when they get enabled I don't have to convert, as long as that happens in 4 months so that way they haven't graduated. 
8/5/2013 10:39 AM
The Play by Play right now is going through some iterations. I know that some of the text will be screwed up, and this includes assignments of the players. 

I'll dig in a little deeper to make sure this isn't a bigger issue and thanks for bringing it up. 

8/5/2013 12:43 PM
yeah i had a QB pass twice in the same play, i was hoping that was just description error
8/6/2013 11:26 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 8/5/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
yeah i had a QB pass twice in the same play, i was hoping that was just description error
Still happening. This game is going backwards fast!
8/8/2013 12:25 AM
So let's see:
TE not catching passes
WR getting short, medium and long passes at the line of scrimmage
WR catching passes behind the line of scrimmage when they aren't supposed to run a route there
QB throwing two passes per play
No one missing extra points

Any others?

On schedule?
8/8/2013 8:47 AM
I want to call the play "Kick Extra Point" each time... I should have about 250 1-play drives, but will score 250 points.  
8/8/2013 4:05 PM
Thanks for summarizing Katz, 
-Quick update - CODE UPDATE: Currently each step of the pass play is a conditional flow that determines the results. The trouble I'm having right now with this process is that in order to focus on pass blocking and pass pressure, I have to account for the rest of the play. I'm separating this into 4 main parts that will be independent of one another, and only use the results from the previous decisions to choose the path. The four parts are PassPressure, PassTargeting, PassAttempts, and PassResults. Why? The reason I'm doing this is that it will allow me to test each section independently. In addition, any of the information that has been targeted as a problem will be easier to find and remedy (for example the Tight Ends and the WR catching behind the line sounds like a problem in the PassTargeting section.) Again, nothing fancy right now, but I'm making significant progress in making the system more reliable. Right now the reliability is a bigger problem to me than the game play. My thoughts are that if I can make the system more reliable, the testing that you do and that I do will be more definitive and easier to analyze. 

These changes are rather massive in the system, and consist of changing a ton of code. I have the system running with the changes, but I'm not comfortable with releasing it yet, not to mention it would be pretty invisible to you guys. I'm hoping to get one out next week sometime with the fixes to the issues in the game play that we are seeing. Also, I'm going to start tackling the reliability of the rushing flow next too.  

Beyond that, Katz, I believe that you have brought up numerous times that the Pass Blocking being a function of probability is not the right concept. I'm toying with making the pass blocking a static decision based on the teams and lines attributes (of course it will not be completely static as it depends on the configuration of the offense and defense and the blitzing strategy. ). So if you have a better team, you will have a better pass block most of the time. If I implement it correctly it will make for a more consistent pass rush for the better team, and will make for a more realistic play by play. 

Ok, thanks guys.

8/8/2013 9:40 PM
oriole, thanks for taking the time to share your progress, and give a hint as to what your next steps are.  While, we may not understand everything you are doing, this update is appreciative.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.