8/1/2013 8:05 PM
An update has been pushed out today.  It has some more engine improvements and should have fixed the starter issue.  I'll let oriole_fan go into more detail on that.  

It also includes some more UI changes such as the collapsible page help and the Coaching 101 page.  This new page is there to help give a basic understanding of the new coaching features.  It's also where switching from basic to advanced coaching settings and vice versa will be done.  Users will be able to switch back and forth even after release but switching from advanced back to basic will reset some of the settings.  For example, the advanced position role depth charts will be cleared, formations' position slots using these will be set to use the basic position role, and playbooks' formations will be set to the default formation settings.
8/1/2013 9:21 PM
With the caveat that I'm probably a contrarian, I just ran a few quick test games and I like what I see.  The running game isn't quite where it should be but it's coming back around and scores seem to be more within 'real life' expectations. 
8/1/2013 9:22 PM
Tight ends still don't seem to be catching passes. 
8/1/2013 10:50 PM
Now we can't isolate passes to 1 particular WR anymore.  we used to be able to accomplish this by manipulating the formation.
8/2/2013 8:15 AM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 8/1/2013 10:50:00 PM (view original):
Now we can't isolate passes to 1 particular WR anymore.  we used to be able to accomplish this by manipulating the formation.
In Formations link I created a formation called Shotgun "Deep".

Then I Switched TE to block via the tick box.
 Then WR 1 got 100% across the board.
Then WR's 2, 3, and 4 got 0% across the board.

This would force the qb to throw to wr1 no matter what.

Gameplay now shows a pretty steady mix to all 4 wr's no matter what you do.  I tried everything to manipulate it to wr1 to NO AVAIL.  
8/2/2013 9:49 AM
Not sure about this engine, but I know that under the old engine, the pass distribution set the "first look" only, and the QB would still "check down" to other receivers. I don't know if that's what is happening here or not.
8/2/2013 10:23 AM
I didn't change anything with the selection of the wide receiver. I'll make sure my changes didn't affect anything on that end. Thanks. 

DETAILS OF ENGINE CHANGES :
Fixed Starter bug (sorry about the work ethic stuff), Changed the passing percentage to test out a more in line base percentage, Moved passing result calculations to results class to determine the final step results to be better based on probability, changed play by play to use a text factory to create the output string. 
8/2/2013 1:53 PM
I assure all of you that we used to be able to PINPOINT any and ONLY 1 particular wr and target him ONLY and now we cannot.  FACT.
8/2/2013 3:04 PM
Fixed Starter bug (sorry about the work ethic stuff), Changed the passing percentage to test out a more in line base percentage, Moved passing result calculations to results class to determine the final step results to be better based on probability, changed play by play to use a text factory to create the output string. 

These terms scare me as I attempt to look at results. I my feeble old mind I would think this OL vs DL ? Does QB have time to throw?  If yes then is WR/RB/(and TE one day) vs LB/DB able to get separation ? How much? (based on chosen attributes) - Then QB GI determines target and QB STR + Tech determines accuracy of throw. If accuracy is within WR/RB/?TE range - based on degree of separation can he catch (better WR need less separation), is he defended or is it an INT. No real need for percentages and probabilities - numbers are there - let the numbers determine the result.
8/2/2013 4:07 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 8/2/2013 3:04:00 PM (view original):

These terms scare me as I attempt to look at results. I my feeble old mind I would think this OL vs DL ? Does QB have time to throw?  If yes then is WR/RB/(and TE one day) vs LB/DB able to get separation ? How much? (based on chosen attributes) - Then QB GI determines target and QB STR + Tech determines accuracy of throw. If accuracy is within WR/RB/?TE range - based on degree of separation can he catch (better WR need less separation), is he defended or is it an INT. No real need for percentages and probabilities - numbers are there - let the numbers determine the result.
+1   that lottery crap in version 2.0 is for the birds(and peope that do NOT know how to recruit)!
8/2/2013 6:32 PM
I just must not understand programming... seems to me it shouldn't be difficult to establish cause and effect stuff.   Putting in something the "tweaks" cause and effect in order to achieve variability seems ridiculous.   ESPECIALLY when now if I do 100 different things I can he exact same result 90% of the time, but if I do the same thing 100 times I a different result 90% of the time.    If X < Y than Y wins.   Start there,  engine 4.0 is complete.   No need for If X < Y than Y jumps in the air, while wearing clown panties and X wins.   Remove clown panties variable please. 

Today I lost to a team that I should have lost to but I still don't really know why. 

8/3/2013 12:00 AM
Posted by trombumpet on 8/2/2013 6:32:00 PM (view original):
I just must not understand programming... seems to me it shouldn't be difficult to establish cause and effect stuff.   Putting in something the "tweaks" cause and effect in order to achieve variability seems ridiculous.   ESPECIALLY when now if I do 100 different things I can he exact same result 90% of the time, but if I do the same thing 100 times I a different result 90% of the time.    If X < Y than Y wins.   Start there,  engine 4.0 is complete.   No need for If X < Y than Y jumps in the air, while wearing clown panties and X wins.   Remove clown panties variable please. 

Today I lost to a team that I should have lost to but I still don't really know why. 

So if I set a game plan, and have players set in positions, and match up against another team with their set game plan and players set in positions, and I simulate this matchup 1000 times, the results should be the EXACT SAME EVERY SINGLE TIME?  And I mean EXACTLY the same, same play-by-play result, same stats, same EVERYTHING.

Because that's what you get when you eliminate randomness in a simulation.  
8/3/2013 1:06 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 8/3/2013 12:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by trombumpet on 8/2/2013 6:32:00 PM (view original):

So if I set a game plan, and have players set in positions, and match up against another team with their set game plan and players set in positions, and I simulate this matchup 1000 times, the results should be the EXACT SAME EVERY SINGLE TIME?  And I mean EXACTLY the same, same play-by-play result, same stats, same EVERYTHING.

Because that's what you get when you eliminate randomness in a simulation.  

Yes Bob - at some point near the very beginning of GD neolithic time this should happen. Every player at every position has ratings of 50 across the board for all attributes, Form IQ of 50, and game planning that offsets each other - every game should be a mirror of the next. When that happens - and only when that happens - we will advance to the iron age and begin playing with attribute differences, variables with fatigue, Form IQ, formation vs formation can occur to see if what you would expect happens. When the expected is accomplished we progress to the bronze age with the addition of the random occurances found in football - the injuries that can throw the balance of a line-up off, the penalties, the occurances of blocked kicks, downed punts, and other items that can inject some of the unknown into the sim - regardless of attributes. With the proper adjustment of attribute vs attribute match-ups or attribute attrition - I feel that any game will be within an expected range of results - with expected match-up outcomes without the randomization, percentages or probabilities dumping possibilities of outcomes into multiple buckets from which will pour some result.

I believe that with the wide range of attributes of our SIM players it would be highly unlikely that any one player would have all the needed scores to be superior on every play for a entire game or season.

The goal would be to reach the Renaissance of GD - understandable results with deterministic outcomes based on our coaching inputs and a minimal spread of bewitching results based on probabilities, percentages and possibilities.

BUT - alas - we may never know this type of enlightenment -  as our programmers are under the the spell of the magical "Bucket". And we as coaches may be required to linger in this nether world of superior match-ups of our OL being relegated to a DefenseModerate outcome! Oh the agony . . . .

8/5/2013 10:38 AM (edited)
Looking into the WR assignments. Thanks. 

8/5/2013 4:06 PM
thank you oriole

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.