Looking for Advice/Criticism Topic

opportunity imbalance? not all boards are created equal - there is weighting built into the equation that gives the defensive team an advantage on free throws for instance - if you miss a lot of free throws those are going right into your opponent's rebound tally - there's also weighting to the offensive/defensive board flip - if your opp shoots very efficiently and you miss a ton of shots that will beef his board tally up to your disadvantage
10/15/2013 9:03 PM
Thanks for all the insight. Unfortunately, I can't really do anything about my team right now... it is what it is. So everything considered, what is an approximate finish for me to expect? Will I still be able to win 50 games?... Will I be able to even make the playoffs?
10/15/2013 11:14 PM
Posted by hoopsdude on 10/15/2013 11:14:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for all the insight. Unfortunately, I can't really do anything about my team right now... it is what it is. So everything considered, what is an approximate finish for me to expect? Will I still be able to win 50 games?... Will I be able to even make the playoffs?
win 50? no.  make the playoffs? possible.
10/15/2013 11:34 PM
I have an honest question related to this. I noticed that high cap (55+) leagues seem to be geared towards overloading on defensive boards and then post defense to stop the other team's wilt. My question is how important is 3 point shooting? I assume that it is a help when people try to play -2 to stop the post dominance, but is there a situation where you would rather your guards rebound than shoot?

Basically, who (excluding Lebron and Jordan) is the best PG for high cap leagues. Stockton (bad rebounding), Kidd (low usage when combined with Wilt and Rodman), or Magic (no 3s in his good defensive year, no defense in his good 3 point years)? Am I completely overlooking guys like Nash for lack of defense or does that not matter?

10/18/2013 11:09 AM
Nobody is using Nash in this league ($55 mil cap), if that tells you anything. There are 10 teams with winning records: 4 have Stockton, 2 have Kidd, 2 have CP3, 1 has Magic, and 1 has Penny Hardaway.

08-09 CP3 is probably the answer to your question: high ast%, good usg%, decent boards, 90 def, and good efg%. CP3 in general gives you these good numbers across the board. In addition, 94-95 and 95-96 seasons of Penny Hardaway have good efg%, good usg%, solid rebounding, good def, although they have subpar ast% for a PG.

If somebody with a bit more experience could give their thoughts it would be much appreciated.
10/18/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by superrobb420 on 10/18/2013 11:09:00 AM (view original):
I have an honest question related to this. I noticed that high cap (55+) leagues seem to be geared towards overloading on defensive boards and then post defense to stop the other team's wilt. My question is how important is 3 point shooting? I assume that it is a help when people try to play -2 to stop the post dominance, but is there a situation where you would rather your guards rebound than shoot?

Basically, who (excluding Lebron and Jordan) is the best PG for high cap leagues. Stockton (bad rebounding), Kidd (low usage when combined with Wilt and Rodman), or Magic (no 3s in his good defensive year, no defense in his good 3 point years)? Am I completely overlooking guys like Nash for lack of defense or does that not matter?

Lets look at those questions individually:

1.  Three point shooting is vastly important as it is in today's game.  That is why the 12-13 LeBron is so loved (for many reasons).  It gives you everything with low fouls.  I like to pair that with a solid efg PG with nice assist and D numbers.  In that I prefer Stockton, Kidd, or Paul.  Paul can be a little heavy on usage.  Kidd is a little low on assists.  Stockton is low on rebounds.  It is a pick your poison situation.  You can go with a late Magic as that provides a little of everything but he lacks D and has some TO issues.

2.  You can't really determine if your guards are going to rebound or shoot so make sure that you have a guard or to that can rebound.  Kidd's low usage dictates that he will shoot less (sometimes) and rebound a bit more.

3.  Gun to my head I choose Stockton.  I will have plenty of rebounding at the other four positions.  the lineup I like has about 13 points of usage which is pretty good.  Although I am looking at trying something different in my high cap leagues.  Nash isn't just bad at D, he is AIDS at D.  In a draft league he isn't bad, in a league where everyone is running out players that would be in the first round of any draft league you certainly need a killer at point, and Nash ain't it.
10/19/2013 1:54 AM
Thanks for putting thought into that. It seems like the consensus is to use 60 efg/100 3PM Stockton if you don't need the usage and to use Chris Paul if you do need the usage.
10/19/2013 3:15 AM
◂ Prev 12
Looking for Advice/Criticism Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.