All Forums > SimLeague Basketball > NBA > Official Greg Oden Tracking Thread
12/8/2009 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 12/08/2009
Bowie wasnt a terrible pick when it was made - it was a slightly risky pick but it made sense for the team as it addressed need and there was absolutely no reason to suspect MJ would be any better Clyde the Glide - Im in the future too
Not to mention Portland also had Jim Paxson, who was named second-team all-NBA in 1983-84, starting at shooting guard.

It wasn't like Portland didn't have a team when the '84 draft came around -- it was a solid group that needed a center to match up with the Kareems, Artis Gilmores and Ralph Sampsons in the conference.
12/8/2009 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By deanod on 12/08/2009colonels mother is pretty fugly- i wouldn't publicly admit to boinking her
I know. I already told her, "Please, take your name off the phone. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. Bye."
12/8/2009 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By najee on 12/08/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 12/08/2009
Bowie wasnt a terrible pick when it was made - it was a slightly risky pick but it made sense for the team as it addressed need and there was absolutely no reason to suspect MJ would be any better Clyde the Glide - Im in the future too
Not to mention Portland also had Jim Paxson, who was named second-team all-NBA in 1983-84, starting at shooting guard.

It wasn't like Portland didn't have a team when the '84 draft came around -- it was a solid group that needed a center to match up with the Kareems, Artis Gilmores and Ralph Sampsons in the conference.

4 signs you are about to make a bad pick:

you are about to use the #1 overall to select someone from a non-traditional/non-major/barely Div 1A school like um, I dont know, how about Pacific?

you are about to use the #1 overall to select a player who has less than 3 years of experience with the sport previous to your selection

you are about to take him ahead of Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki and Mike Bibby

your name is Elgin
12/8/2009 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By najee on 12/08/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 12/08/2009
Bowie wasnt a terrible pick when it was made - it was a slightly risky pick but it made sense for the team as it addressed need and there was absolutely no reason to suspect MJ would be any better Clyde the Glide - Im in the future too
Not to mention Portland also had Jim Paxson, who was named second-team all-NBA in 1983-84, starting at shooting guard.

It wasn't like Portland didn't have a team when the '84 draft came around -- it was a solid group that needed a center to match up with the Kareems, Artis Gilmores and Ralph Sampsons in the conference.

It's called Darko logic for a reason...
12/8/2009 2:49 PM
I want to play!

you are drafting based on need over talent

the player you are taking has missed two full years of college from injuries (even worse if they are leg injuries of the non-freak injury variety)

you take him over a guy who many compare to Clyde except said player has already proven to not disappear in big games

you dont take the best player in college basketball because you have a white guy at his position
12/8/2009 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By teamjosh04 on 12/08/2009I want to play!

you are drafting based on need over talent

the player you are taking has missed two full years of college from injuries (even worse if they are leg injuries of the non-freak injury variety)

you take him over a guy who many compare to Clyde except said player has already proven to not disappear in big games

you dont take the best player in college basketball because you have a white guy at his positio
heh. The last one is my favorite.
12/8/2009 3:22 PM
Roy-Durant combo would have been amazing.
12/8/2009 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By gin_caesar on 12/08/2009
Quote: Originally Posted By najee on 12/08/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By monkee on 12/08/2009
Bowie wasnt a terrible pick when it was made - it was a slightly risky pick but it made sense for the team as it addressed need and there was absolutely no reason to suspect MJ would be any better Clyde the Glide - Im in the future too
Not to mention Portland also had Jim Paxson, who was named second-team all-NBA in 1983-84, starting at shooting guard.

It wasn't like Portland didn't have a team when the '84 draft came around -- it was a solid group that needed a center to match up with the Kareems, Artis Gilmores and Ralph Sampsons in the conference.

It's called Darko logic for a reason...
no comparison at all - Bowie was established player of great promise not a Euro that no one had heard of
12/8/2009 3:31 PM
The comparison was between Portland and Detroit, obviously.
12/8/2009 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By teamjosh04 on 12/08/2009
I want to play!

you are drafting based on need over talent

the player you are taking has missed two full years of college from injuries (even worse if they are leg injuries of the non-freak injury variety)

you take him over a guy who many compare to Clyde except said player has already proven to not disappear in big games

you dont take the best player in college basketball because you have a white guy at his position



So, where were you going to play Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Jim Paxson and Kiki Vandeweghe (whom the Blazers acquired in the offseason)? All four of these guys would have been on the roster at the same time.

You're acting like Jordan was considered some superstar-or-bust prospect along the lines of LeBron James when he came out. He was considered potentially a good player, similar in profile to a Jerry Stackhouse.
12/8/2009 4:44 PM
holy crap - look who's back!
12/8/2009 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By gin_caesar on 12/08/2009
The comparison was between Portland and Detroit, obviously.

and not between Bowie who had a productive college career at a major program and projected very high as a talented Center in the association and Darko who was a wtf?
12/8/2009 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By teamjosh04 on 12/08/2009




I want to play!

you are drafting based on need AND talent

the player you are taking has missed two full years of college from injuries (even worse if they are leg injuries of the non-freak injury variety) Bowie played 3 full seasons in school including a full 34 gs in his senior season

you take him over a guy who many compare to Clyde (who you already picked last season)

you dont take the best player (highly debatable - Hakeem came out this year too remember) in college basketball because you have CLYDE DREXLER (a first ballot HoFer in his second season) already at his position (duh)


ftfy
12/11/2009 1:49 PM
Believe me Roy and Durant would basically such as Brandon Roy needs," his touches" (in his mind) to be effective and to help the team. Roy doesn't like to move without the ball which is pretty much reducing the effectiveness of the whole team offensively.
12/11/2009 5:12 PM
roy's not kobe bryant.

if portland refuses to add another scorer cause roy needs his touches, they aren't gonna make any deep playoff runs in the foreseeable future.
of 11
All Forums > SimLeague Basketball > NBA > Official Greg Oden Tracking Thread

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.