ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

It should because that's a lot of work to reach the same answer I gave. 
8/4/2014 8:56 PM
I can't get them to post, but any advice on rebuilding this team?

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=3343

I will get the salary down to 36 million by declining Silva and Walcutt's options. My c/h/i scouting last season was 4/4/0. There are, at best 2 fringe ML'ers in the minors. Considering their history I know this a true first world problem.

My division is weak so my inclination is to pick off older, cheap non-type A FA's and work the waiver wire to try to win 80 and potentially the division while I build my draft scouting up and stockpile draft picks in my minors.

However, the temptation to start dumping money and IFA's is there too. Not trying to lose, just not trying to win either.

Putting 60 million in to the best FA's might make things better, but they won't make me a contender for the the WS this season so that feels like the wrong answer.

Thoughts?
8/4/2014 11:43 PM
It looks overwhelming mediocre at the plate/in the field with no pitching.   I don't think a couple of high-priced FA are going to do it for you.  However, with your scouting, you're not going to see **** in the draft/with the int'ls.    I look at my team in 3 season periods.  Meaning "What will my roster look like in 3 seasons if I make no acquisitions?"   So I'd see if any big FA would help me for the next 5 seasons(example: Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Raul Gonzalez on my rebuilding Mantle team.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Honolulu Warriors in Grass Skirts Franchise Profile).   Beyond that, in a weak division, I'd look for mid-level FA to sign to 2-3 years deals(using the mutual option) to fill in the holes now and the next couple of seasons.   I'd start working either college or HS up for the draft.   With 0 IFA, I'm not sure if I'd try to get it higher or not.  It will take 3 seasons to get it to decent number and I'm not sure I'd accept losing that long.  Either way, prospect is 6m this season.   I guess I don't know what you expect to do with that 60m in unused payroll if not use it on FA.  IFA is a losing proposition for you this season.
8/5/2014 8:11 AM
You've mentioned several times that bad 1B defense can lead to throwing errors for infielders. Just to clarify, is it the first baseman's glove or range that has this effect?

Also, have you ever noticed a difference when a 1B has a bad arm rating? It seems to me that throws by the first baseman aren't a very common occurrence.
8/5/2014 11:31 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Joe Simas is a good case study.    2 errors on dropped throws and one throwing error.    I haven't checked all of them but the - plays are base hits to RF.    I'd say his range affects the negative plays while his glove produces the errors.    His one throwing error was to 1B and, honestly, I haven't seen many of those.
8/5/2014 11:41 AM
Who's your go-to source for cookie cakes?
8/5/2014 4:25 PM

Great American Cookies is the only one I know of.   4 locations in Cheeseheadland. 

8/5/2014 4:30 PM
Do you know that off the top of your head, or did you have to look it up?
8/5/2014 4:33 PM
Off the top of my head.   I have all 300 locations committed to memory.
8/5/2014 4:36 PM
Did you make this?
8/5/2014 6:31 PM
Have you ever had someone take over one of your former teams and just ruin it?

I left a team right before the league imploded/merged, and the guy who took it over is destroying my top prospects. For example, this guy was the first pick in the draft last year, and he's not even bothering to play him:

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6592515
8/5/2014 7:13 PM
It's my motto.

I seldom look at teams I leave behind.   The first one I dropped had won 8 straight division titles in seasons 1-8.   Next game came in, did nothing and won a WS.  And had the nerve to say afterwards "Yeah, I didn't really get a chance to put my mark on the team."    Sofuckingwhat, dude, you just won a WS with my team.
8/5/2014 7:17 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Weren't the red shirts on Star Trek the people who usually achieved room temperature in that episode?
8/7/2014 12:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...824|825|826|827|828...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.