This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
hmmm....interesting discussion.
I don't have names for the following......but they definitely should have one....

1) When you have an awful 3 sessions - (0 to 6 wins for the day)....this is enhanced (dehanced?) by multiple one-run losses or losses that defy the imagination (such as losing even when you put a shitload more guys on base, rafael belliard types hit a game winning hr off you, etc...)....bonus points here for days that are so bad that you end up snapping at your coworkers or wife........

2) When you lose to a fatigued starting pitcher or group of fatigued pitchers.......these kinds of losses absolutely kill me - especially at higher caps when there is really no excuse for your offense to not light up the other team - incidentally this just happened to me in the 120mil league......

3) When you look at an opposing team's roster and wonder if they aren't playing with a higher cap than you........you basically feel you have no shot at winning multiple games (we'll call this the wildthings1 for now)

There are much more but can't think now......
8/24/2010 9:59 PM (edited)
I like it...I think "snapping at your coworkers or wife" needs to be the verb "Lasorda."

Usage: "I lasordad the wife last night after Belliard homered to beat my 70M in the 10th inning."

Derivation (for those who have never heard it before): The famous Kingman-induced tirade at 1:25 or so of this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPx327SbBQ0

Actually, the whole clip pretty much applies here.
8/24/2010 10:22 PM
Judging from what I've read, the "Spider" should be called the "Wet Willy"
8/24/2010 10:22 PM
Jtpsops - To struggle to win against inferior competition because the entire Wifs site is conspiring against you....bonus points here for losing to the bottom dwellers in the league while your division rival sweeps the good teams. 

Usage:  " Unfrickin believable - I should be in the cage but I just Jtpsops'ed my series against a team 12 games under .500."   Or " There's no way I should have lost to that team because that team lost previously to that other team which was beat by the team that I'm much better than.  The site must be out to Jtpsops me"
9/17/2010 7:35 PM
Always good to be recognized
9/18/2010 6:05 PM
Here's a couple more.

Fiver - a team that gets swept in the first round, earning nothing but the 5 points for making the playoffs.

Good Loss - a team that loses in the playoffs but still wins as many games as possible (3-2 in the first round, 4-3 in the others)

"I really needed to win some serieses... but my frickin teams all pulled fivers. Not even a good loss among them."
9/30/2010 10:03 PM

.    _
. (   ))/,         _                     Can we start                   
(,__`  ))/i,_( *;>             TALKIN' TURKEY       
(,___// y~y   )`&                   - ? - ? - ? -     
... ... . .._Y Y_.. . ... .. . .... .... .. ... . ....... . .... . .. . .... . . ..
10/3/2010 7:58 AM (edited)

.              )   (       )                                     or...
.            (       )   (                                  CAN WE          
.               )      ___                                START              
.                ,.--' _   =\                     TALKIN' TURKEY            
.        C=<____,\-__)                        - ? - ? - ? -              
-------*****************-----------------------------------------
10/3/2010 7:56 AM

(4 Eggs Sample) >>>

"My team is outta' pitchers for the next game..."

Can we start "Talkin' Turkey", & hope for a miraculous (non-imploding) mop-up (???)

10/3/2010 8:12 AM (edited)
I think you should rename going 6-0 in any session from "schwarze" to "ballantine" (or "rbow" or "wildthings"), after somebody who has actually won this thing.

You can re-use "schwarze" for a different meaning.  That is... to finish an entire round over .500 but get ZERO teams into the playoffs.  This happened to me last year, in round 2 (thus dropping me from 3rd in round 1 to 11th overall).  This also happened to my brother (ff09) in round 1 last year.

To use in a sentence...

"I would've cracked the top 10 for the fifth straight year, except I pulled a "schwarze" in round 2."
6/14/2011 12:30 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/11/2012 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Cute.  Then I suppose a "Romney" would be "someone else is using the same team I am, and doing much better with it"
lol...best laugh in months!  thank you
7/12/2012 10:10 AM
On a less polarizing note, I'll offer the following additions:

-- "Parnell" - to completely miscalculate the fatigue effects at a particular cap (by seriously underdrafting IP or PA).  In homage to Joe McCarthy's decision to bring in Mel Parnell - who had started the previous day - to pitch the 9th inning of the last game of the 1949 season.  See b-r.com or retrosheet.org for the details.  Thought about naming this the "McCarthy" but decided that had too many political overtones and I'm trying to get away from that.  Usage: "I seriously Parnelled the 120M, spidered my team as a result, and am hopelessly out of the cage."

-- "RIM" - to zig when everyone else is zagging, and getting killed as result.  Like when everyone chose Eddie Collins in the 2-team twist last year or the year before.  Those of us who didn't paid the price.  Derivation: Research in Motion's steadfast insistence on the Blackberry user interface when the rest of the world was going Apple.  Usage: "I RIM'd the 70M this year; should have taken the Cardinals like everyone else." 

7/12/2012 3:42 PM
Some of the best reading I've had on this site in a long time - good work boys.
7/12/2012 11:23 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/11/2012 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Cute.  Then I suppose a "Romney" would be "someone else is using the same team I am, and doing much better with it"
in the political scheme of things:

Paul - similar to a RIM, you go against the norm, once hearing your strategy all the other owners praise your team saying its definitely the best choice out there -yet you still lose and fail to make the playoffs. 

"Wow, my 80M was a beast!  How did I get Paul'd!

7/13/2012 12:30 AM
123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.