Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 1/28/2015 10:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/28/2015 10:33:00 AM (view original):
No idea.   But he's like the child that runs because he's being chased.    Stop chasing him and he'll walk back to find out why you quit chasing him.
I'll disagree. I think he'd be thrilled if he didn't have to speak to the media. As would most professional athletes.
Those who don't want to speak to the media, don't.   Or they say nothing of value.    Even Lynch gave the occassional interview and said "Everyone gave 100% and we were fortunate to escape with a win" and "They're a good team.   We'll have to be at our best", he'd be receiving a LOT LESS attention right now.

Maybe he's just too stupid to realize his act is bring more attention to him?
1/28/2015 10:43 AM
I think he's hoping for what you're asking. To stop being asked questions.
1/28/2015 10:46 AM
I think he wants attention on his terms.   Two totally different things.

1/28/2015 11:01 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/28/2015 10:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/28/2015 9:43:00 AM (view original):
I think since he has to be there, he's having fun with it and probably enjoying that part of the attention, but I also think if the NFL told him today he never had to show up for this stuff again, he'd disappear from the required appearances.  So, I think ultimately he would see showing up for 5 minutes, being ignored, and not be fined as a win.

There's a big difference between doing a piece for E60 that you have to agree to and have some measure of control over and being forced to sit down in front of reporters and so forth.  I think he legitimately doesn't like having to do that, regardless of how he feels about media/attention in general.
I don't know that it's that big of a difference.   If asked a question you don't care to answer, you can always reply "I'm just here so I don't get fined" whereas, if asked a question on E60 you don't care to answer, you say "Yeah, that's not happening in this piece."    Doesn't seem like a huge change to me.

The point is that in the E60 case, he chose to do it, so he's ultimately in control and it's under his terms, or at least terms he's bargained for.   This is the NFL saying "you're an NFL player, you have to do this, or else."

I'm not saying it's right, professional, etc, but I completely believe that he's "only there so he doesn't get fined", so if the potential fines went away, he wouldn't be there anymore.  Not saying he doesn't want attention from the media in general, but he wants it under his terms - he'd get it from places other than weekly mandatory media availability. 

1/28/2015 11:20 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/28/2015 11:01:00 AM (view original):
I think he wants attention on his terms.   Two totally different things.

Pretty much the same thing, actually. He doesn't want to be asked questions from a heard of reporters, cornered in his locker room. He does want to answer questions when he's being paid and he has control of what's asked. If the reporters in the locker room left, he'd be happy.
1/28/2015 11:24 AM
Not really.  

Not wanting attention is one thing.   Wanting attention on your terms is another.

Two totally different things. 
1/28/2015 11:27 AM
Here's the thing.    He makes his money because of the attention.  That's just the way it is.   If he's playing in an empty stadium with no media coverage, he's just playing a pick-up game for free. 

He may not like the attention.   I'm sure he's been the center of it since he picked up a football at 6 y/o.   You follow the path that leads you to millions, you play the game that goes along with it.   

If he didn't really want the attention, he'd give the same bland, praise-the-other-team answers I mentioned.    There are a lot of players who are just as important to the game who are answering questions and receiving much less attention.   Simply because they're answering questions.  He's created a circus around him.
1/28/2015 11:31 AM
You might have a point if he didn't have a history of being fined for leaving the locker room without comment before reporters got there, or refused to talk to them. But he's avoided them before, and got fined for it. It's the only reason he's physically there saying "I'm just here so I don't get fined."
1/28/2015 11:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/28/2015 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Here's the thing.    He makes his money because of the attention.  That's just the way it is.   If he's playing in an empty stadium with no media coverage, he's just playing a pick-up game for free. 

He may not like the attention.   I'm sure he's been the center of it since he picked up a football at 6 y/o.   You follow the path that leads you to millions, you play the game that goes along with it.   

If he didn't really want the attention, he'd give the same bland, praise-the-other-team answers I mentioned.    There are a lot of players who are just as important to the game who are answering questions and receiving much less attention.   Simply because they're answering questions.  He's created a circus around him.
He's hoping they leave him alone eventually.

There's a clip of him somewhere (I can't find it), frustrated, cornered in his locker room with his head down, reporters asking questions, and him muttering "You're still trying....still trying..." Doesn't look like someone who wants those people around.
1/28/2015 11:33 AM
Also, he's probably not very smart in the first place. He said when he was drafted by the Buffalo that he was confused that it wasn't in NYC.
1/28/2015 11:37 AM
Could have been one bad day and, once he realized how much attention he got for not answering questions, decided that would be his schtick.    Surely he knows creating the circus will only lead to more attention.
1/28/2015 11:37 AM
If he's left alone, you're going to see other people stop answering questions too.  "If he doesn't have to answer them..." Because they don't want to answer questions from the media. Few athletes do.

Athletes DO like to make money, so they get paid for an interview or an appearance or commercial, then they're more likely to be on board.
1/28/2015 11:44 AM
Seems like the media has no problem getting quotes from athletes.    I'd dispute "few athletes do".  

It's human nature to want to be recognized for what you do.   You may not want your wife to throw a party if you wash the dishes but it doesn't hurt if she says "Hey, you washed the dishes."
1/28/2015 11:54 AM
I have confidence that if speaking to the media after games and at press conferences were voluntary, you'd see significantly less interaction with the media overall.
1/28/2015 12:22 PM

I am equally confident that the media would find plenty of players to quote.    NFL teams have a 53 man roster.   When you say "few" how many do you think would refuse to talk with the media?

1/28/2015 12:43 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.