What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Posted by moy23 on 9/9/2011 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 10:28:00 AM (view original):
Its actually infuriating you guys absolve borrowers from any kind of fiscal responsibility ..... its horrifying.
Fiscal responsibility, no, borrowers don't get off the hook for that but for equally sharing the blame with lenders, bankers, legislators, etc...; no, the blame lies solely on the part of our political representatives for deregulation allowing the financial institutions, bankers, Wall Street to exploit the new laws and create this mess we are in.

You can post your elitist bullshit all you want but what it comes down to is banks and other lending institutions became predatory lenders and the borrowers the prey.  Ultimately, the lending institutions had final say on whether loans by high-risk borrowers should go through  - fiscal responsibility goes both ways.

The blame for our financial mess lies in Washington and Wall Street.

totally agree - lenders were not fiscally responsible.

You are full of **** though if you don't think borrowers were not enjoying 'the game' as well. Everyone was running around talking about 'flipping properties' and plenty of people went out and put $200k down on one property just to take out a 100% inflated LTV HELOC to get the down payment for the next property they wanted to flip. The talk of the town "Invest in real estate - you can't lose". People STILL 'knowingly' inflate their income and the value of their homes when asked those questions for credit cards and loans. Oh, people were in on the game too... it was the cool thing to do 'at the time'.

Elitist Bullshit? I work at a bank (and I'm blaming them as well) --- I can tell you from experience that all we had to do was put a mortgage product out there and the borrower was more than happy to take it, no arm twisting involved. Never once did I witness 'preditory lending'. I bet its the same for anyone else in lending at the time. Don't act like the banks were FORCING people to take money.
I worked at a bank too, so I know there are auditors, internally and externally, that should be watching how loans are approved.  Banks may not have been forcing people to take money but they obviously were not following sound lending practices because Washington opened the floodgates with deregulation.

So yeah I feel the majority of the blame lies with our legislators, the banks, Wall Street, etc...  As for the borrowers, we are constantly bombarded with advertising that entices us to get deeper and deeper in debt and buy things we can't afford and throw common financial sense out the window.  No, it doesn't let them off the hook but let's place the majority of blame where it's due.
9/9/2011 11:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/9/2011 11:55:00 AM (view original):

So one is absolved of responsibility because they took advantage of an opportunity?

I don't recall absolving anyone of responsibility, placing more blame on certain groups yes.
9/9/2011 12:00 PM
back to the OT :

Why is it soley the burden of the wealthy to 'bail out' America on this one? How is that fair? Shouldn't the middle class do their part and also pay more in taxes to get the deficit under control?
9/9/2011 12:01 PM
NO
9/9/2011 12:17 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 12:00:00 PM (view original):

So one is absolved of responsibility because they took advantage of an opportunity?

I don't recall absolving anyone of responsibility, placing more blame on certain groups yes.
Are these not your word?

"The blame for our financial mess lies in Washington and Wall Street."

I see no mention of individuals who defaulted on loans they couldn't afford.

9/9/2011 1:49 PM
Speaking of big bad banks... Bank of America is letting go of 28000-40000 more employees. Good thing Obama has a job plan putting them to work with a shovel ;)
9/9/2011 2:00 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 3:04:00 PM (view original):
"The world can always use more ditch diggers."
And fewer bankers.
9/9/2011 3:42 PM
Amen.
9/9/2011 3:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/9/2011 1:49:00 PM (view original):

Are these not your word?

If loan officers, bank auditors, state and federal auditors were doing their job - those loans would/should have not been made in the first place.
Congress created the atmosphere for this mess, Wall Street and the banks/financial institutions exploited it.  I'm laying the majority of blame at their feet.
I'm not and did not absolve any individual of blame for their personal dumbassedry. They're paying the price with foreclosures and bankruptcy while the thieves on Wall Street and bank boardrooms across the country got off with bail-outs, bonuses and no jail time.
9/9/2011 3:49 PM
DRAFT THE RICH
9/9/2011 4:06 PM
Right on, cresty!
9/9/2011 4:08 PM
Posted by willgibson on 9/9/2011 3:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 3:04:00 PM (view original):
"The world can always use more ditch diggers."
And fewer bankers.
Except realistically its not the bankers or management getting the axe. Its the processors and customer service reps.... the bottom rung.
9/9/2011 4:14 PM
This is probably both true and unfortunate.
9/9/2011 6:41 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/9/2011 1:49:00 PM (view original):

Are these not your word?

If loan officers, bank auditors, state and federal auditors were doing their job - those loans would/should have not been made in the first place.
Congress created the atmosphere for this mess, Wall Street and the banks/financial institutions exploited it.  I'm laying the majority of blame at their feet.
I'm not and did not absolve any individual of blame for their personal dumbassedry. They're paying the price with foreclosures and bankruptcy while the thieves on Wall Street and bank boardrooms across the country got off with bail-outs, bonuses and no jail time.

Honestly, I think we kind of agree.  However, I'm just not willing to say "If they hadn't been offered......"

Equate it to the email saying "I am Sayim Abed Akbar.  I am an Arabian prince.  I have 50m in the bank but I need your help....."   Do you feel sorry for anyone who discloses every bit of personal information after getting this email?   I'm assuming "no".  Because, when you're offered something that you know you shouldn't be entitled to, you should think "WTF is the catch?"    People were accepting loans that they should have known they couldn't pay.  I don't think guns were held to anyone's head.  Laying the majority of the blame at the guy offering isn't right.   Personal responsibility.  

9/9/2011 7:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...39|40|41|42|43|44 Next ▸
What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.