Posted by seble on 5/4/2012 9:21:00 PM (view original):A couple of notes:
- There's literally no possible system for effectiveness or defensive rating that will please everyone. Sure we could go through and subjectively change some guys, but that goes against the statistical nature of the game and wouldn't be based on any factual data. I believe an objective (albeit imperfect) system is still better than a subjective system with arbitrary numbers being assigned.
- Height and weight are factored into effectiveness, in case that wasn't a widely known fact.
- I understand that seeing anything less than 100% is a turnoff for most coaches here, but in reality, effectiveness in the upper 90% range is not going to be big deal in game results.
- Just to clarify, there were no changes to any of the formulas or logic for players this year.
- It's easy to adjust listed positions, so if you see any of those that are off just send in a support ticket and we'll review those.
In my opinion, your Bill Russell defensive ratings undermine your credibility. Since you link to basketballreference.com, it might be helpful if you read the link below from their 8/23/10 blog on which players have played for the best defenses. It's common basketball knowledge that Russell anchored the Celtics defense. From his nba.com bio: (1) Now Russell brought a new level of defensive artistry, intimidating opponents with blocked shots and proving that it didn't take a scorer to dominate a game. (2) Bill Russell was the cornerstone of the Boston Celtics' dynasty of the 1960s, an uncanny shotblocker who revolutionized NBA defensive concepts.
Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games
© 1999- WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.