yatzr HD recruit tool v1.11 - Login fix Topic

Update:  (NOTE - to upgrade, just replace the old .jar file with the new one.  The new one will use your existing season files and config file.)
Version 1.11
-WIS updated their login again forcing another quick change on my part
http://www.gdreports.com/tools/yatzr/yatzr_hd_recruit_tool_1.11.jar

Version 1.10
-WIS updated their site to force everyone into https (which I fully support. yay security!) but the tool was using urls with http. I updated the tool to use https.

Version 1.9
-Another fix related to the multiple threads / login issue. If you had teams in multiple worlds, there was a chance you could pull in recruits from different worlds, causing bad data in the tool. I fixed this in the GD tool and brought the same change to the HD tool.

Version 1.8
-There were some more issues with the WIS login. When using multiple threads, some of the threads wouldn't get logged in properly and cease working, which resulted in incomplete data. I witnessed this on GD, and I'm just assuming that it happens with HD as well, so I made the fix in this tool as well.

Version 1.7
-WIS made a change to their login page, so I had to update the tool to handle that.
-You now enter your username and password in the Options -> Connectivity section. Then you don't have to enter them every time you grab recruits.

Version 1.6
-I have no idea what I changed for this.  I did it quite awhile ago and forgot to update this thread :(

Version 1.5
-Fixed the recruit export to list the team names instead of "multiple"
-Fixed the response config UI to include a scrollbar
-Attempted a fix for grabbing messages when last season's messages are still in your inbox

Version 1.4
-Updated the number of searches done to make it less likely it misses anyone or results in recruits with 0's for stats.  The latest season in Smith had an unusually high number of D2 recruits with a similar stat causing this problem.

Version 1.3
-Added a dropdown to search on state.
-Search button will no longer reset column widths
-Show number of recruits shown in window title
-Fixes for some recruits not properly getting grabbed off the WIS search.

Version 1.2
-Implemented/Fixed signed status and signed counts.  It used to only mark guys signed (making the considering field blue) if they were signed by someone in your conference.
-Message grabber now reads messages in chronological order.

Version 1.1
-Fixed the year filters
-Added a little loading screen because sometimes it takes awhile to load the program, and you may think you didn't double click it properly.

Version 1.0
This is a huge update.  I'll try to explain all the new features as best I can, but feel free to ask questions.  I tried to test everything well, but I'm sure there's probably a bug here or there, so please let me know if you find any issues.  This version also includes paid/donor features that are pretty useful.  Anyone that has given me at least $10 at anytime has the ability to use these features.  Anybody else that would like to use these features can send me a donation through paypal.  My paypal link is http://www.gdreports.com/tools/yatzr/

Here's the new features:
-The tool now performs additional searches to get GPA, FT%, and eligible/ineligible status. There are columns for GPA and FT%. If a recruit is ineligible, their value in the "Elg" column will be red. There is also a new search checkbox to hide ineligible recruits.

-Rank filters in the filter bar. There is a separate filter per position since recruits are ranked per position. You can select whether to show recruits above a specific rank, or below (above means bigger number which means worse rank). If you select to show recruits above a specific rank, it will include unranked recruits. Remember to check the "Apply Filters" checkbox up at the top to get those filters to work.

-Equations change. There are now 5 sets of 5 equations. You can show one set of equations on the table at a time, but you can easily switch between them. The equations are no longer tied to positions, so all recruits will be using the same equations. You can also name individual equations, and that name will show up as the column header. NOTE - this version won't save any equations you had in the last version.  You'll want to copy them out of the old version and paste them into this version.

-New search check box "Dropdowns". When you update recruits, it will detect if any recruits showed up in a lower division than they were previously. The recruit updater will tell you it found new dropped down recruits. Those recruits' names will be purple. If you want to quickly find those recruits, check the "Dropdowns" checkbox in the search bar, and then only those recruits will be shown. The next time you update recruits, those dropped down recruits will no longer be considered newly dropped down.

-Grab/Update Coach info. If you select this when you first grab recruits, the tool will look through all of the teams in your world to see who the coach is, what their prestige is, and how many scholarships they have available. Then in the considering column, when it shows a school's name, it will also show the coach name, their prestige, and three numbers that are "# scholarships / # recruits signed / # recruits considering this school". Note that for the number of recruits considering this school, that is only the number that the tool knows about. It is really only accurate if you use Update Multiples. You should only select this the very first time you grab recruits, and then once again when coaching changes are final for the new season. NOTE - the # recruits signed is not yet implemented. Signings don't start until tomorrow night for me, and I don't know if I'll be able to work on it this week, so I wanted to just get the rest of this out now. I'll implement this part when I can.

*Paid/Donor Features*
-Update Multiples. When you grab/update recruits, there is a checkbox called "Update Multiples". When the tool is finished grabbing recruits like it normally does, it will gather up all the ones with considering of "multiple", and then it will visit their profile pages to get the actual list of schools they are considering. Then in the considering column, it will show all of those schools and their information. If you use this feature, you should check it every time.

-Threads. I added 12 and 16 as options for threads. When I first made the recruit scraper, I always got errors when trying to use more than 8 threads, but I don't get errors on this tool now. I'm not sure if I changed something, and I'm too lazy to figure it out, but 16 seems to work fine now. And with grabbing coach info now, the extra speed is very nice.

-Mass recruiting. You can check the "Action" checkbox column for recruits and then go to Data->Mass Recruit. This will bring up a little popup where you can select which action to do. I included

• Add to watch list (can only be used before recruiting starts)
  • Call Recruit
  • Call Coach
  • Offer Scholarship

The popup will also tell you how many recruits it is going to do this action for. Pay attention to this because it's easy to check the action column for recruits and forget about it and then inadvertantly send recruit actions to too many recruits. You can clear the Action column by clicking the "Search/Refresh" button.

You can check the action box for many recruits very quickly by doing the following.

1. click anywhere (except the PID column) on a recruit row to highlight it
  2. shift+click on another recruit row several rows away. This will highlight all the recruits in between
  3. right click and select "Mark for Action"

-Process recruit responses. It's my understanding that this will be used for seeing if a recruit will dropdown for you. However, I made it generic so it can be used for other things if necessary. Under options, there is a new thing called Responses. If you open that up, you'll see a long text box for the Response Message, and a short text box for the Response Value. You can copy text from a recruit response (make sure to not include any text specific to the recruit or your school) and paste it in the Response Message field. Then put something in the Response Value field like 1 or a. The value is what will show up in the table, so make it something short, but something that will make sense to you. Now hit "Save" and another blank line will pop up. Enter as many response messages as necessary. You can assign the same Response Value to multiple Response Messages.

Now, at any point, you can go to Data->Grab Messages. This will simply visit your team inbox and read through all of your recruit responses (even ones it has read previously). For every recruit response, it will look through your list of configured Response Messages, and if it finds a match, it will assign the corresponding Response Value to that recruit. Then, once you "Search/Refresh" the table, you should see some values show up in the "Rsp" column. Additionally, if you mouseover a value in that column, there will be a tooltip that shows you what Response Message was found for that recruit (because it's assumed you assigned the same value to several different messages).

Version 0.5
-Changed position dropdown to a set of checkboxes
-Added column for rank (will add a filter for rank later)
-Added checkboxes to filter on number of years of eligibility
-Set the considering column to "undecided" if there's nothing there.  This will let you search for just undecideds
-Added min() function to equations.  I was too lazy to add a max() function and I don't think anyone would use it.  The format is "min(A,B)" where A and B are valid equations.  A normal use case would be min(A+A_P,100).  If you really want to, you can nest min functions.

Version 0.4
-Fixed bug with equations when using potential multipliers

Version 0.3
-Added connectivity under Options.  This lets you put in proxy information (useful for if your internet at work uses a proxy).  Also optionally use www.wisjournal.com instead of www.whatifsports.com (useful if your internet filter at work blocks whatifsports.com but not wisjournal.com)
-Added separate potential multiplier for unscouted recruits.

Version 0.2
-multiple threads actually works now for people on my list.  I accidentally left some test code in that kept this turned off in v0.1
-added in a whole bunch of logging for debugging issues.

Original Post:
Alrighty, I've whipped up this initial version of a full recruit tool.  It's free to use except for multithreading.  Using 8 threads will make it go about 6-7 times faster when grabbing recruits.  That's the only piece of this tool right now that only people on my donor list get.  Probably not worth paying me $10 for.  I plan on adding more features later (specifically mass recruiting for phone calls and processing recruit responses for dropdowns), so just wait for those before considering giving me any money.

Consider this to be a beta version.  I've only had limited testing with it.  I haven't been able to test grabbing signed recruits, or what happens when recruits drop down.

A quick rundown of how to use it.
1. Download the jar file.  Some versions of Internet Explorer will change it to a zip file.  If this happens to you, rename it back to ".jar" or use a different browser.

2. Make sure you have a java runtime environment installed.  You should be able to skip this step, but if step 3 doesn't work, go here for the latest jre http://www.java.com/en/

3. Run the .jar file.  You can probably just double click it.  If that doesn't work, right click on it and select "Open With..", and there should be a program named something like Java(TM) Platform SE binary.  The main view should pop up.

4. File -> New Season.  Enter your team id (which can be found at the end of the url for your team's profile page...the little popup from clicking on your team name).  The season number is only used for naming the file that's about to be created.  Close the popup.

5. Data -> Download/Update Recruits.  Enter your WIS username and password.  Select what divisions to grab recruits for.  If signings have already started and you want to get info for those recruits, check "Grab/Update signed players".  If you're on my donor list, change the threads to 8.  It'll go a lot faster.  If the program errors out or anything, try changing it down to 4.  Lastly, hit Go and watch the status update.  Close the popup when "Everything Complete".

6. Hit Search/Refresh on the main view.

7. Hit the "Search Bar" button to bring up a bunch of search options.

8. Hit the "Filters" button to bring up a bunch of filter options based on attributes.  Personally, I never use these filters because I always like to be aware of all recruits.  To apply these filters, you have to check the "Apply Filters" checkbox up top.

9. Click on a recruit's PID to open that recruit's profile page in your browser.  If you get an error page in your browser, then it probably means you're not currently logged in on that browser.  If for some reason you want to be able to click on those without opening your browser, check the "Disable Links" at the top of the view.

10. Options -> Equations.  S1, S2, and S3 are custom equation columns and here is where you can enter those equations.  An equation should look something like (I'm going to butcher these because I have no idea what attributes are important)
1.1*A + 0.9*SPD + 1.0*REB
All of the attributes can be used as well as "MILES".  For spelling, the attributes must match the column headers exactly (case sensitive)

At the top are potential multipliers.  These can be referenced by adding "_P" to the attribute name.  If there's nothing there, or if it's not a valid number, it will be a 1.  A theoretical set up could be LOW=0.8, AVG = 1.0, HIGH = 1.2 and then an equation could be
A_P*A + SPD_P+SPD + REB_P*REB

11. Check the "Flag" checkbox on recruits you're interested in.  They will stay checked even if you close the program and reopen it.  You can also quickly look at only your flagged recruits by using the "Flagged" checkbox in the search bar.

12. For your next season or even a different team, start over at 1.  If at anytime you want to switch back, use "Load Season" and find the season file that you want.  It will be in the format of "HD_Team_[teamid]_Season_[#].dat

13. Data -> Export.  Gives you a csv of all the recruits.  In case you want to do something with the data that the tool doesn't do for you.

I'm sure I missed some instructions, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions.  And please let me know if you find any issues.
10/15/2015 10:15 AM (edited)
Very generous of you to go out of your way to do this to please the people who aren't donors, even though you didn't have to. Great to have you make tools for the Hoops Dynasty community even though I enjoy searching for the recruits myself, i'm sure this will help out a lot of people who don't have as much free time as myself.
5/18/2012 3:56 AM
is there anyway to send you the 10 bucks for advanced options if I don't have a paypal and would rather not get one?
5/18/2012 4:56 AM
yatzr, love that you are able to ignore the haters and do your thing. I think the phone calling multiple recruits thing would be great, but it also seems like seble is going to do something on the WiS end of things sooner or later, so you may want to look into that before spending a lot of time there...
5/18/2012 6:01 AM
also - one thing i'd love to see, being able to filter by scouted states.
5/18/2012 6:20 AM
Posted by trobone on 5/18/2012 6:20:00 AM (view original):
also - one thing i'd love to see, being able to filter by scouted states.
I'm not sure I understand.  There's a dropdown to filter by scouted/unscouted recruits.  Would filtering by scouted states be different?  You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here.
5/18/2012 7:48 AM
no sorry - i just missed that filter
5/18/2012 9:36 AM
How long does it take to pull the recruits?  Mine's been "starting" for 30 minutes.
5/18/2012 10:30 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/18/2012 10:30:00 AM (view original):
How long does it take to pull the recruits?  Mine's been "starting" for 30 minutes.
Not that long.  "Starting" should only show up for about 10-20 seconds.  I'd close the program and try again.  Make sure your team id is correct.  I have no idea what it'll do if it's not correct.
5/18/2012 10:59 AM
Thanks so much for this yatzr!!
5/18/2012 11:09 AM
thanks yatzr.  
5/18/2012 11:18 AM
Thanks Yatzr.........
5/18/2012 12:03 PM
Thanks yatzr.  I get the same issue as Trentonjoe.  It sticks on Starting...

-WinXP Pro SP3
-Verified correct Team ID
-HD_Team_[teamid]_Season_59 DAT file created - 1 KB
-hdconfig file created - 1KB
-Tried a couple of times, wiping out those files to reenter data including u/p

Happy to help troubleshoot.  Feel free to sitemail me.
5/18/2012 12:30 PM
I got it to work from home....no dice at work.
5/18/2012 9:21 PM
Is there a way to take all the data and put it into an Excel spreadsheet?  I'm not great with computers, but I do have an Excel spreadsheet that I know how to manipulate and this tool is a great timesaver.  But I'd prefer to put the data into a program I know how to use.  I'll gladly pay the 10 beans for it, if I can get it to work for me.  Thanks for creating this and for any help you can provide to solve my computer ignorance problem.
5/18/2012 10:04 PM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
yatzr HD recruit tool v1.11 - Login fix Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.