I love the sim. But it encourages copycat behavior to win. And I get so sick of some of that crap that it just makes me want to puke.
I mean, really... Do I really need to see ANOTHER Joss vs. Maddux game where Hojo plays errorless ball at SS while Gavvy Cravath hits the game winning HR? Am I sick of seeing people dump their $200k backups for AAA guys worth 10 times that? Please... Not another team winning with a bunch of 450 PA guys and AAA.... And super please, no saving Bob Milacki all season to start 3 games in the playoffs.
I've had enough of that 5H1T. Time to flush it down the crapper. At least for one $80m league.
Here's the stuff I hate, and how I'm going to counter it for this league.
(1) Fatigue strategy... The WORST part of the sim by far. To try to stop it, we're going to
- Require team total of 1500 IP/162
- Require team total of 5500 PA/162
- Require 7 hitters (all non-catchers) with at least 600 PA/162 each. (not enforced by wizard, have to check this manually)
- (Playing rule) - No player with a fatigue rating of 97 or less can start a game on offense or pitching. I will do random checks (I will not check each game result) but I call upon each owner to play honestly, and I ask opponents to report any violations. The first 2 violations will result in forfeits of entire series vs team, the 3rd violation would make your team playoff ineligible.
(2) The same players, over and over....
- Only 1930-2012 players are eligible. No Joss, Cy Young, or other deadball cookies. HR's just might be feasible
- Small blacklist (I'll consider additional player suggestions for the BL until the league is built. Should be about the first 10 signups or so.)
- Hitters: Hojo, Boggs, Raines, Coleman, Roberts, Willie Wilson, Ruth
- Pitchers: Pedro, Maddux, Milacki, Dizzy Dean
(3) Saving pitchers for the playoffs
- (playing rule) Any SP in any playoff game must have started at least 20 games for that team during the regular season.
(4) AAA / WW / DH / Clones/ Live Play
- I hate the way all that crap is used. It's all banned.
(5) Lack of HR hitting
- The player years eligible should eliminate deadball pitchers
- But to make it better, we'll require each stadium to have NO negative HR rating to either side. Zero is OK, -1 is not.
Ok, I think that will make a difference. It will at least make everyone try a few players who aren't normally open league types.
It's an $80m league, of course.
Come on by....