Posted by coach_deen on 3/17/2013 2:59:00 AM (view original):
None of the above. What about "I really like Version 3 but since we're less than 1/2 way through Beta realize it's going to get much better by the time we're finished with it"
Yes, None of the above would be my choice as well. There are still a lot of holes to be fixed but I believe the end result may be enough to bring me back into the fold. I realize tweeks are still being made, but here are my current observations:
1. Special teams returns need to be turned down. I average at least one special teams return in every actual game it seems, and usually at least 2 returns (Kick and Punt) in test games.
2. Very Short passing is too effective and Medium passing is not effective enough. Long and Deep passes are still intercepted at too high of a rate.
3. Running with QBs and WRs is too effective. Running with RBs not effective enough (at least not for my team). While I realize it may just be my team and some may be having big numbers from their RBs, I can't get any of mine going in any formation vs. any formation. My QBs, however, have ran for nearly 1200 yards and thrown for over 3100 with 79% completion so far. Only 23 of my QBs runs have been scrambles, so the majority of those rushing yards are on designated runs. So, 58% passing, 42% running. My RBs, however, just can't seem to get going in any formation against any formation. I've tried them all, inside running, outside running, vs. Running D, vs. Passing D... every combination in every formation... just can't get them going.
4. On the plus side, gameplanning seems to make more of a difference, though being able to see your opponents gameplans, and them able to see yours, certainly play into it. It's been very difficult to gameplan for my CC game, as I can actually see my opponent gameplanning at the same time making adjustments to his D as soon as I do something on O, and vice versa... kinda funny last night as we were both countering each other for over two hours... I'd make an ajustment and run some test games and find that he'd made adjustments and was also running test games... Very funny... I finally waited until a half hour before gametime to put in my final gameplan... he must've waited until even closer to gametime, because he went in a different direction.
5. Plugging in specific OL positions and DL/LB/DB/S positions seems to make a difference. Early in the season, during the exhibition season, I went with generic OL, DL, LB and DB settings. When non-con games started, I plugged in guys specifically where I wanted them (Tackles, Guards, Center, etc...) Production on both sides of the ball seemed to go up significantly and when I use formations that don't have specific personnel setups, production doesn't seem as strong.
6. Not sure about blitz #'s yet. I'm thinking they may have turned these down a bit, as early on, I was getting around 10 a game and was only blitzing 10% across the board. Now, with the same % setting, I'm getting about 3 per game, which seems pretty normal, HOWEVER, when I run test games now with 100% blitz across the board, I only seem to get about 5 or 6 per game, which doesn't seem like enough with blitzing set at 100%.
Overall, I'd have to say I'm liking what I'm seeing... or, at least the direction I see it taking. If they can get some of the kinks worked out, I think we'll have a game to be proud of, but it's obviously not there yet. Some of the above stuff may just be specific to my team of course, and there are still some of the little issues like fumbles recovered by the offense going back to the line of scrimmage, etc... that need to be worked out, but I think we're headed in the right direction overall.