All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > We need a "Honor Promises" Button in the Lineups
3/24/2013 8:08 PM
Setting lineups and starters have increases in complexity to an extent that I advocate a "honor promises" button that will prefer promised starts over the "best player" in suggested lineups. If you don't, those not in the beta are gonna bombard you with lineups issues.
3/24/2013 11:12 PM
why not just throw in a "optimal playbook for upcoming opponent" button while there at it?  I am sure playbooks will cause issues as well.  BTW, just joking.
3/25/2013 11:29 AM
In 2.0, you had a better idea of which depth chart was going to be used to determine the starters by looking at your Base Offense in your main playbook, and we could display which players were marked as starters based on those settings.  The difficulty I see with 3.0 in identifying your starters and really knowing you have them set to come in and play and get credit for the start is in figuring out which depth chart they need to be in. 

The actual marking of the starter is easier as you just click the guy you want versus the 2.0 method of cross referencing the Base Offense with the depth charts.  The second part of the equation is that they actually get in to play.  This affects starters and promised playing time.  With the new interaction between playbooks, formations, and depth charts, it can sometimes be confusing on which players are actually going to get in the game and how much.  If you keep the settings simple, and you can actually keep them at the 2.0 levels, it isn't that tough to determine who gets in, but if you want to take full advantage of sculpting your playbook, you can have all sorts of depth charts being pulled from.

I want to put more analysis tools for playbooks on the depth chart page, like the old one we have on the practice page, that break down a playbook by formation.  We could also break it down further by depth chart if we find that would help.  So, for instance, you might see that the playbook you are using uses the Pro-Set 34% of the time, or maybe that it used the RB-Power depth chart 10% of the plays.  I think we can come up with a standard mix of plays from your playbook for each situation, as there's obviously going to be more 1st and 10 plays called than 4th and shorts.  This would help a little with understanding which formation sets are being called and which depth charts are being used, but you still have to understand how all of it fits together to really do it right.

I don't think we can do anything with promised starts or playing time in the "set recommended" logic.  That part would be up to you to figure out if you have a player that requires playing time above and beyond just ratings.  There's also cases where you might want to move a player up in the depth chart due to his IQs or something else that isn't factored in to the logic that just sorts by position role formulas.

What I would like to look for at this point is anything that we can add to the pages that might help you make this connection between playbooks and depth charts.

3/28/2013 12:58 PM
I still can't seem to get any guys to start.  I must be a dumba$$. 
3/29/2013 4:08 PM
Posted by rudyrude9 on 3/28/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):
I still can't seem to get any guys to start.  I must be a dumba$$. 
I am afraid that you will not be alone. This was the root of my suggestion. Starts are WAY too complex and non-intuitive.

There are going to be alot of tickets if this is not significantly changes, which appears to be the plan.

4/1/2013 6:42 AM
One thing, why not just combine the Depth Charts and Player Settings pages into one? I see no reason to have two seperate pages for that. To me it seems like it would be simple and effective to have the Rest Level drop downs and the boxes to check to determine who is starting on the same page that you set your depth chart on. Splitting these up appears to be an unnecessary complication and a source of some of the confusion. Maybe I'm missing something as to why that information needs to be in two seperate places?
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > We need a "Honor Promises" Button in the Lineups

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.