4/11/2013 2:29 PM
I've put out an update to the engine:
  • Passing results have been updated.  Please check passing results with the exception of YAC and scramble yards.  I still need to review the YAC (receiver getting tackled) and the scramble yards (QB getting tackled), but everything else is ready to get feedback.  If you see things low or high or out of balance with rushing, please let me know.  Keep in mind the ratings and game settings when looking at the results.  Thanks.
  • Updated sub logic to pull a position player that is not resting before pulling a player in a depth chart that is resting.  This should help us see less times where you have players playing below their rest levels.
  • Changed some logic back to allow spikes and knees on the 1 yard-line as it is in 2.0.  This was causing some strange logic decisions.
4/11/2013 4:20 PM
  • adjusted the punt yardage. Out of position players should also be punting a lot less successfully.
4/11/2013 7:10 PM
I definitely see a marked difference.... 
4/11/2013 10:59 PM
I still think some wording needs to be put in the play-by-play about the distance of the QB's 1st look.  How can we gameplan or "debug" the passing part of the game, when it is very time consuming trying to figure out if the QB's 1st look is very short, short, medium, etc?
4/11/2013 11:30 PM
Also, one thing I notice is a play calling item. Right now I notice frequent pass defenses holding rush attempts to low yards and rush defenses pressuring the QB. These should be advantages for the offensive play calls.

See if these sound logical - 1) OFF calls pass play, defense set up to defend rush - seems the DL would move to close the gaps and prevent a ball carrier from coming through, minimizing the initial pass rush and giving a free count or two to the QB and allowing him to make a better choice (increasing his GI) and by less pressure needing less tech to complete the pass downfield, passes behind the line would be defended by the pass coverage depth of the LB. That would help the downfield passing game. 2) OFF calls rush and defense set up to defend pass - seems the central DL would rush forward against the OL and the DE would spread wider to get around the tackles - this would allow more rushing room in the center and perhaps make a wide rush more prone to a loss or a big gain if the DE are wide. Would also depend on the type of defense.

Seems in these cases the play call could add variation to the outcome of a lesser team vs a better team. It would go the other way for correct play calls, with more stuffs and losses, batted balls and sacks.

Just an observation.

4/12/2013 12:21 AM
After some preliminary testing, this is what I've found.  There appears to be little to no advantage in calling the play correctly or incorrectly (i.e. pass coverage vs pass play, run coverage vs pass play).  There also appears to be little to no advantage to calling depth correctly or incorrectly (i.e. short coverage vs deep pass, medium coverage vs medium pass).  There also appears to be little to no formation advantage or disadvantage  (i.e. shotgun vs 4-3, wishbone vs nickel).

Maybe these change when YAC is fixed, but it's tough to know without it.
4/12/2013 12:50 AM
Im finding that the run is still king. I been running test games with my all pass offense vs a mostly run team. My team is better at every position exept d-line.

RATINGS    
- QB (1) 48.0 33.0
- OL (5) 54.4 46.0
- RB (2) 45.5 44.0
- WR (2) 48.5 47.0
- TE (1) 48.0 45.0
- DL (4) 47.8 48.0
- LB (4) 49.3 45.8
- DB (4) 46.0 42.5

While my team wins most of the time its usually close. A few times i blow them away. Sometimes they beat me. My team is scoring in the 20's most games. Got to 40 once.

But when i use my almost all run playbook i blow them away every game. In 20 games, scored in the 40's every time except once. Getting as high as 69.

4/12/2013 1:58 AM (edited)
My Qb is anywhere from 40%-70% completion.

But i think INTs are looking better than where they were.

4/12/2013 10:15 AM
Posted by slid64er on 4/12/2013 12:21:00 AM (view original):
After some preliminary testing, this is what I've found.  There appears to be little to no advantage in calling the play correctly or incorrectly (i.e. pass coverage vs pass play, run coverage vs pass play).  There also appears to be little to no advantage to calling depth correctly or incorrectly (i.e. short coverage vs deep pass, medium coverage vs medium pass).  There also appears to be little to no formation advantage or disadvantage  (i.e. shotgun vs 4-3, wishbone vs nickel).

Maybe these change when YAC is fixed, but it's tough to know without it.
Looking at rushing:

1) I agree that there is no formation advantage - I'm getting similar numbers regardless of formation. 

2) Play calling is significant - rushing total are about 1.5 times better against 100% pass coverage vs 100% run coverage.  That seems like a pretty good spread.

3) I agree that it makes sense to wait until YAC is worked out before testing passing will be very useful.

4/12/2013 1:21 PM
It looks like maybe I need to work in play calling a little more for passing.  For rushing, changes in formation will be pretty subtle when looking at pretty similar formations, but should be a little more pronounced when comparing something like a 4-4 against the Nickel.  Also, a higher rated defensive line and LBs will be able to do more with less at the line.  Much of the game plan settings, formation and defensive type, are going to play in more for TFL and short rushes.  More long runs would come just because there are less tackles at the short range, but I think once a guy starts rushing at some point the defense is no longer affected by their defense call.  Currently, it's once they get past short range.  Likewise for passing, at some point the defense realizes it's a passing play regardless of call.  I might adjust that to see if it affects the passing plays a little more.  I might also have to see if I need to adjust the coverage on the passing play because I think that would suffer, at least those first few steps, if the defense called rush.

But again, you still have to look at match ups.  If a team is way better than another team, or specific match ups are better, they are still likely to have the advantage even if they call the wrong play.  Like they might not break through the line and tackle the runner for a loss, but once he starts trying to break through the line, the defense realize what he's doing and their superior talent let's them make the tackle attempt.  So they might not be as dominate as if they called the run, but they are still pretty good.

Passing does have a few more complexities when looking at these types of disadvantages for wrong defense, so I'll have to review them.
4/12/2013 1:28 PM
I will add the range text to the PBP.  I just didn't get it in yet.  I think it's probably okay to start referencing "very short", "short", etc. since that is what you see in the settings.  It might be something I put in parens like "looks to Smith at the ABC 15 (short)", because I think target yard line is important as well.
4/12/2013 5:55 PM
Thinks Norbert. 
4/13/2013 12:47 AM
Posted by norbert on 4/12/2013 1:28:00 PM (view original):
I will add the range text to the PBP.  I just didn't get it in yet.  I think it's probably okay to start referencing "very short", "short", etc. since that is what you see in the settings.  It might be something I put in parens like "looks to Smith at the ABC 15 (short)", because I think target yard line is important as well.
I like that idea...thanks!
4/13/2013 9:01 AM
My qb is 4-17 with 2 picks in the first half of my current game.  Some observations-drops are extremely high, picks too high, td passes are almost impossible, pds nonexistent, sacks are down from the high rate, receiver is wide open at 20-incomplete, way too many wide open misses.  It seems like any decent qb should be able to get the ball near a wide open receiver's hands.
4/13/2013 3:57 PM
DII QB passing out of shotgun:  28 STR / 46 GI / 77 TECH
42/63 (66.7%), 400 yds., 3 TD's, 1 Int., 1 sack. I was very happy with these results!
My opponent, Cheyney, had avg. DB's & LB's. They were in a pass def. the entire game...

of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.