All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > can it be easier to create playbooks?
4/18/2013 9:52 AM

Instead of a new playbook being totally blank can it be pre-populated somehow?
Like I want to make a playbook with 4-4  75/25 cover as my base, the new playbook has every formation, down, distance, etc set to what i designated as the default for this playbook, then i can go in and change manually where necessary?

4/18/2013 10:33 AM
We have several ideas for playbook creation.  What we currently have is copying an existing playbook which can also be one of the standard global playbooks, and we will be adding several more standard playbooks to copy from.  This gets you a good base for more traditional type playbooks, but we wouldn't have a standard defensive playbook built on the 4-4, for instance.  We have talked about having a simple wizard for creating playbooks that would help with these non-standard playbooks, but I'm not sure when we could get that in.  I think that would probably fill the missing piece in creating brand new playbooks.
4/20/2013 3:48 PM
Completely agree.  I have failed in my Beta testing as well as my team updates because it just takes entirely to long to make changes.  Forget for a minute the several hours it took me to set everything up, I get that and expect it.  What I just don't have and can't invest in are the daily changes.  It literally took me 90 minutes after my first game to go make adjustments, I just don't have that kind of time daily.  I am going to work on creating enough different play books that I can plug and play to counter the general tendencies but I would suggest that something be done to blend the old with the new.  For example, you click on Pass/ Conservative and then the fields auto populate.  You can certainly tweak from there but the countless tabbing and rekeying could dramatically be decreased.
I apologize if this has already been mentioned.
4/21/2013 8:19 AM
Posted by tkechub on 4/20/2013 3:48:00 PM (view original):
Completely agree.  I have failed in my Beta testing as well as my team updates because it just takes entirely to long to make changes.  Forget for a minute the several hours it took me to set everything up, I get that and expect it.  What I just don't have and can't invest in are the daily changes.  It literally took me 90 minutes after my first game to go make adjustments, I just don't have that kind of time daily.  I am going to work on creating enough different play books that I can plug and play to counter the general tendencies but I would suggest that something be done to blend the old with the new.  For example, you click on Pass/ Conservative and then the fields auto populate.  You can certainly tweak from there but the countless tabbing and rekeying could dramatically be decreased.
I apologize if this has already been mentioned.
Agree.

As much as I don't like GD2.0 the cumbersome playbook is a huge reason why I won't be playing 3.0. I do not have the time.

4/21/2013 7:14 PM
I feel the same way frequently, but every time I'm ready to vent about it, I find another short-cut to make things easier. I think it's just a matter of figuring out how everything fits together to speed up game-planning. In 2.0, you have your set game plans, and to tweak them, you copy and rewrite them. It looks like we'll have just as many game plan options as before, but we'll be able to tweak them by changing pre-set formations and playbooks instead of rebuilding the game plan from scratch. I think we can get down to the same number of keystrokes to make the wanted changes, but it's going to take a lot more organization preseason to get everything set right. Or, you can do it on the fly, but that's gonna take a bunch of time for every game.

I'm working on a formation for each basic option (conservative, balanced, aggressive), as well as a playbook based on D&D. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make quick, accurate changes to the entire game plan this way. Still in beta-squared mode, though.

P.S. I really like the Copy/Paste buttons on the playbook screen. It's a real time-saver.

4/22/2013 12:11 PM
I figured that I'd apply to a few colleges for coaching positions so I could get PAID for all this time spent on setting up all these pages, and changes to the gameplans.
All you folks that think that v2 is to random, v3 is not any more accurate. Recruiting still sets the stage for the outcome, v3 is just to damn time consuming for the same outcome. There will probably be 3 elites available very soon, but I have had 8 years of fun.
4/22/2013 12:39 PM
I will be working on my playbook for years of in game...but really it took me 90 minutes spread out over the recruiting season to set up enough to run my team. 
4/22/2013 2:09 PM
I've mentioned it before, but I will repeat.  I would love to see a way to export / import playbooks, in XML or CSV format.

1) I think it would be a whole lot easier to create a new playbook, especially in Excel where you could copy and paste repetitive info.

2) No need for WIS to create a playbook "wizard" -- somebody (yatzr?) could whip one up that would upload the results or save files for you to upload.

3) I can see a cottage industry for  entrepreneuring owners who wish to sell pre-built playbooks.  "You too can run ddingo's thriple-threat attack offense!  Only $5"
4/22/2013 3:27 PM
If norbert could just put Copy/Paste buttons on the defensive playbooks like the ones on the offensive playbooks, that would go a long way to speeding things up...
4/23/2013 12:29 AM
Allow us to copy/paste from one Offensive Playbook to another Offensive Playbook.

I decided to try and set up one Offensive Playbook to act as a template for creating a variety of other Offensive Playbooks. I thought that would be the easiest (and quickest) way to build/change playbooks.

PROBLEM-I cannot (currently) copy/paste from one Offensive Playbook to another Offensive Playbook. How is that not incorporated into the application?
4/23/2013 3:57 AM
Here's been some of my stock suggestions:

- Ability to copy from 1st down to 2nd down within the same playbook
- Optional % blitz input box that would apply to all downs/distances in that specific playbook
- Optional % yardage mix input boxes that would apply to all receivers
- Optional % rush box that would apply to all downs/ distances in that specific playbook

The last three would save a lot of keying in hundreds of individual boxes, and rather allow you to tweak specific downs/distances or specific receivers' mix.
4/23/2013 10:40 PM
How about on the page where you name the playbook a drag down with a base formation and a secondary. Then the playbooks automaticly fill those formations into every  down and distance to save time.
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > can it be easier to create playbooks?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.