All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > A couple things I'm seeing in test results
4/24/2013 9:49 AM
First off, and I don't know if anyone else is seeing this, but my team (Texas A&M Commerce, Romero DII) gives up a crap load of points in the fourth quarter.  I can be up by 3+ touchdowns going into the 4th and lose.  My team stamina is good, so it's not like my guys are tired.  I've toyed with both my offensive and defensive settings and not much seems to change.  I've gone with a ball control offense to eat clock, my base offense that got me the big lead in the first place (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), all pass, all run...   and on the defensive side, I've stayed with my base d, used an ultra-aggressive d, ultra-conservative d, adjusted the offensive aggression settings from very aggressive to very conservative...  Basically, I'm trying everything I can think of and in every conceivable combination and I still generally give up a ton of points throughout the 4th quarter and especially overtime.  I've adjusted the time and point value for when the alternative offenses and defenses kick in, unchecked all boxes and just gone with a more simple plan and I'm getting destroyed in the 4th quarter... and speaking of overtime,  I probably sim 2 or 3 games a day where there are 60+ points scored in overtime by both teams combined.  Seems high to me.

The other thing I'm seeing is that about 4 or 5 days ago, all of my 4-3 and 4-4 defenses started being ineffective for some reason.  I've changed nothing (aside from tweaking around on them when they stopped working).  Since my final conference game and now into 3 playoff games, I'm running 5-2 because it's the only thing that seems to slow my opponent down.  If I switch over to a 4-3, 4-4, or 3-4 base for test games, my opponent is suddenly putting up 40+ on me.  I switched to nickel on long situations and was getting torched for over 60 points and that's when the sim was passing... I'd be set for all pass, long cover, nickel vs the sim's pro-set and he'd pass deep with way too many completions, considering nickel pass coverage was set properly.  Just seems odd that my d was fairly solid running mostly 4-4 and 4-3 all season until about week 12 and now they can't slow down a bad sim?  I suppose it's possible the YAC adjustments Norbert has been making could be affecting this, but to go from soundly beating teams to not being able to slow them down seems like a pretty big swing and I've toyed with those D's I was running to see if I could fix the problem and can't find anything that works yet.

Anyone else seeing any of these things?
4/24/2013 12:45 PM
It's possible you are seeing a change in your team's performance based on the passing adjustments.  Before those, teams could really ignore the passing game as it was pretty ineffective.  With it now more effective, it could be showing some weaknesses on your team or strengths on your opponent's team that weren't apparent before.
4/24/2013 2:35 PM
I noticed the better sims got better, which I attributed to the adjustments to passing.

I wouldn't say my 4-3 and 4-4 d's are ineffective-just not AS effective.
4/24/2013 2:47 PM
OK... but if passing is more effective why would a 52 defense be more effective than a 4-3 or 4-4? Teams are passing all over my 4-3 and 4-4, but not against a 5-2 set to NO blitz? I realized it was probably an update to the passing, but it makes no sense that a 52 slows down the oppositions passing attack more effectively than a 43 or 44 to me.
4/24/2013 4:49 PM
I'd have to really see what that 5-2 is facing.  Would also have to see what the 4-3 and 4-4 are facing that they aren't as effective.  Are they facing the same opponent using the same game plans?
4/24/2013 5:03 PM
I have Occidental in Romero.

I played DePauw (a Sim team) in 3rd conference game (4/15). Played them again for CC (4/21) and they were much more stubborn the 2nd time around.
4/24/2013 6:11 PM
Norbert, just facing sims vs. their base Pro-Set balanced offense.  Just ran test games against my round 4 playoff opponent (a sim) and using 44 or 43... they consistenly beat me up pretty badly, but plugging in the 52 I generally win.
4/25/2013 9:26 AM
so my first team ever the cupboard is bare at linebacker

i run a 5-2

win the conference and a playoff game

you're telling me it was luck

dammit

4/25/2013 9:55 AM
No, bag, that's making chicken salad out of chicken ****. Benedict did the same thing; he was stacked at DL and weak at LB, so he ran the 5-2 and subbed out at 90%. In our playoff game, he played 9 DLs. It's all about getting your best players on the field, and you do that by using the right formation for your roster. I saw several teams trying to use the 5-2 that either didn't have enough good DLs, or ended up having their stud ILB riding the pine. I had pretty strong LBs, so I ran a lot of 4-4. Another thing I noticed is that on the formation page, it defaults to have the ILBs in coverage and the OLBs on the line. I got a lot better play when I changed that so my faster OLBs were in coverage and my high STR/TKL LBs were on the line.
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > A couple things I'm seeing in test results

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.