All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Two minor Interface Suggestions and a Question
6/9/2013 6:16 PM
1) On the Player Settings page, where you set your "Rest" Level and checkbox for Starter, listing the "Total" and Stamina in the other section is redundant, since all of the player stats are listed below.  Taking them out might allow for a bit better spacing.

2) Where position ratings are listed, please list them to one or two decimal places.  

[Long-Winded] Question : Since there have been so many "tweaks" done over the last few weeks and months, I'm not sure any of us have a great grasp on what stats are used for determining play results and when/how often they are used in this iteration of the game engine.  We all make assumptions based on how "real life" football works (i.e. QB Technique is used to determine accuracy of passes, and is used on every throw) but those may not necessarily be true in this simulation. Similarly, Norbert had previously mentioned something along the line of "Technique basically determines how well a player executes their task" which would make it one of the most important over-riding stats - depending on how much of a factor that really plays.  Without "spilling the beans" on the calculations used in the game [feel free to sitemail those to me ;) ] can you provide insight on the stats that are actually used to determine play results, and when and how often they come into play?

6/9/2013 6:20 PM
As I wrote under the Oriole fan thread:

What I would also like to see is the completion of the following information for each position (and their variations) so that we can assess what ratings are being used in what situation:

Athleticism used for:
Speed used for:
Durability used for:
Work ethic: Given
Stamina used how:
Strength used for:
Blocking used for:
Tackling used for:
Hands used for:
Game Instinct used for:
Elusiveness used for:
Technique used for:

6/9/2013 6:55 PM
LOL I suppose that's what I'm asking, although I'm not sure I want redundant answers at each position / variant

Work Ethic (All Positions)  is used as a factor in player ratings improvement, along with other factors such as practice time / plan, whether or not a player is designated as a starter, the player's "potential", and amount of actual game plays participated in.

6/20/2013 7:41 PM
Going to bump this in the off-chance someone is still looking at this forum.
6/25/2013 8:24 PM
Bump again as Oriole is back stalking the forum again.
6/25/2013 9:23 PM
bhazlewood, I agree with the UI on player settings. We are looking to make some changes to simplify the data and the process. We will add these to the list.

I'm in the process of determining for myself what each of the attributes do, and how they will affect each outcome. I'm also tweaking those values a bit to have a better feel for how they play into each calculation (I just added fatigue to the QB, I know it's a dynamic attribute that you don't get to see, but I'm changing some of these fields right now to get a better feel) I'd be happy to write a more detailed explanation of this information as I become more familiar with it. (though don't get your hopes up on that site mail :))

This is probably not one that I will be able to explain any better this week, but if I forget as we get closer to the release feel free to bump this again as a friendly reminder.

6/25/2013 10:36 PM
katz, for what it's worth, this is what I believe the ratings are, or at least should be used for, and I would love to see how you, me and others compare...

QB
Athleticism used for: Adds to or takes away from running and passing but more running with the ball
Speed used for: Break away speed when running or scrambling
Durability used for: How well he stays away from injury and/or heals from an injury
Stamina used how: How long he can play without ratings suffering because of fatigue
Strength used for: How far he can throw the ball (accurately?) and ability to break tackles
Blocking used for: N/A
Tackling used for: N/A
Hands used for: Add to or take away from technique throwing and fumbling
Game Instinct used for: Help decide which player to throw the ball to. A QB with high GI should throw to the open receiver more often while a QB with low GI should throw into double or even triple coverage more often and to more tightly covered receivers in general
Elusiveness used for: Running/scrambling and ability to keep from getting sacked more often
Technique used for: Accuracy on throws

RB
Athleticism used for: Adds to or takes away from speed, elus, breaking tackles, blocking, etc.
Speed used for: Break away speed when running
Durability used for: How well he stays away from injury and/or heals from an injury
Stamina used how: How long he can play without ratings suffering because of fatigue
Strength used for: Ability to break tackles and should make a difference in blocking
Blocking used for: Overall ability to run block and protect the QB
Hands used for: Catching the ball and fumbling
Game Instinct used for: Help decide which player to block on both running & passing plays and should effect penalties
Elusiveness used for: Running/eluding tacklers
Technique used for: Blocking tech

WR
Athleticism used for: Adds to or takes away from speed, elus, breaking tackles, blocking, etc.
Speed used for: Speed when running routes or after a catch
Strength used for: Ability to break tackles, should make a difference in blocking and catching the ball, especially in traffic
Blocking used for: Overall ability to block
Hands used for: Catching the ball and fumbling
Game Instinct used for: Running routes & penalties
Elusiveness used for: Running routes and eluding tacklers
Technique used for: Running routes and blocking

TE
Speed used for: Break away speed when running, running routes and blocking outside
Strength used for: Ability to break tackles and blocking
Blocking used for: Overall ability to run block and protect the QB
Hands used for: Catching the ball, fumbling & blocking tech
Game Instinct used for: Help decide which player to block on both running & passing plays, running routes and penalties
Elusiveness used for: Running/eluding tacklers & running routes
Technique used for: Blocking & running routes

OL
Athleticism used for: Adds to or takes away from speed, elus, blocking, etc.
Speed used for: Should effect ability to block outside and down field
Strength used for: Blocking, but especially on inside runs
Blocking used for: Overall blocking ability
Hands used for: Should effect blocking tech
Game Instinct used for: Help decide which player to block on both running & passing plays and should effect penalties
Elusiveness used for: Blocking on pass plays
Technique used for: Blocking tech

This is my take on the offense positions. I'll do the same with the def. positions later...

6/25/2013 11:11 PM
Thanks deen for the take on how the attributes should be used. I personally thought that at the time the idea of a beta and update were being considered that the first thing that needed to be overhauled was the player attributes themselves. I never really understood why some of those characteristics were chosen. Speed, Stamina, Durability (if used correctly), WE, blocking, tackling, GI, Elus are all appropriate. Some are way too ambiguous (tech and athl don't really mean much). Blocking should be bloocking, tackling = tackling. There should be a attribute for Passing, Line Play (how OL, DL, RB, TE, LB play on the line - like IQ + tech), Ball Control instead of Hands (catching and running with the ball), Pass Routes (for TE, WR, RB to get open and DB's, LB's for coverage).

Also, with the current step approach, it would be possible to use diferent sets of attributes at different parts of the play.

But what I really want from Oriole is how the updated engine will use the attributes and what player would be the perfect combo for each position. (I'm sure it will help Bob with the GUESS reports also.)
6/26/2013 9:36 AM (edited)
i know, let's build a house

but first let's build a hammer and a nail

but first lets invent woodworking and metallurgy

but first lets make trees and rocks
6/26/2013 1:14 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 6/26/2013 9:36:00 AM (view original):
i know, let's build a house

but first let's build a hammer and a nail

but first lets invent woodworking and metallurgy

but first lets make trees and rocks
We get it.  You think they should simulate game results and then invent play-by-play and stats to fit the results.

I think that makes one of you who feels that way.
6/26/2013 3:48 PM
OK  Bob and WIS I have just lost a second game to a Sim since the tweaks were made.  I know they have been made because I have not had the outcome on these games that should have been.  Due to that and the frustrations I have had over the past 5 or 6 seasons in GD this is my last season anywhere.  And my last post on here.  I can no longer accept what has transpired in the game I once loved to play even though I did not ever become a power player.  I had fun.  Now I don't so I am going to log out and stay out.  Thanks to all who helped make it fun and good luck to all of you who are hanging in.  I hope it gets better.  Tom
6/26/2013 5:21 PM
I don't work for WIS, so I don't know why you addressed your post to me.

But to be honest, complaining because the game is being tweaked in BETA seems - uhm - well, that's what BETA is for.  To test and tweak things until you get it right.

All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Two minor Interface Suggestions and a Question

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.