6/20/2013 3:45 PM
I've tried two different gameplans against SIMs and no dice. Lost both games and believe there is a big enough difference in talent that it shouldn't be happening. Anyone else struggling against mighty SIM? 
6/20/2013 5:55 PM (edited)
Right there with you.  This is one of my biggest gripes with 3.0.  I've lost a few games to simmie and nearly a handful more with far superior talent and the knowledge of what the SIM is running.   I can accept taking some time to gameplan for a human, but it's a waste of life that I'll never get back to gameplan and make major halftime adjustments for a SIM.  Beginning this season, I set my gameplan and said heck with it.   So far, I'm 2-1 against humans and 1-1 against the SIMs.    
6/20/2013 5:56 PM
I've already mentioned there is no need to spend a lot of time recruiting. The best talent doesn't really matter. A SIM with all walk ons can, and will,  beat a human coach. It already takes way to long to put in a new game plan. All we (and WIS) are doing is wasting time. It appears that for some reason the new guys like v3, while us vets don't. I suggest that they forget the whole thing until they find someone that knows what they are doing. 5 months down the toilet, and very little, if anything, is correct Just my 2 cents after playing GD for 8 years.
6/20/2013 7:56 PM
Posted by cebrake on 6/20/2013 5:56:00 PM (view original):
I've already mentioned there is no need to spend a lot of time recruiting. The best talent doesn't really matter. A SIM with all walk ons can, and will,  beat a human coach. It already takes way to long to put in a new game plan. All we (and WIS) are doing is wasting time. It appears that for some reason the new guys like v3, while us vets don't. I suggest that they forget the whole thing until they find someone that knows what they are doing. 5 months down the toilet, and very little, if anything, is correct Just my 2 cents after playing GD for 8 years.
Funny you mention that.   It does appear that most of 3.0's supporters seem to be newer players.   I appreciate what the developers are trying to do, but this thing is overkill.    Personally, I think a modified version of 1.0 would be challenging and fun.   GD 2.0 always seemed a little dumbed down to me, but playable and enjoyable, for the most part.  Some simple changes that would make it a better game:

1.  Make fatigue matter again.  Remember when  a guy with a fatigue of 15 could only last 5 or 6 plays a game?
2.  Use the depth charts for each formation as they are in 3.0.   In 1.0, if you wanted to plug in a receiving TE in Shotgun or a coverage LB in the Nickel, you could.  3.0 gives you the same flexibility and that's a positive.  I've never cared for the depth charts in 2.0.
3.  Reduce the penalties for position changes.  One of the easiest ways to rebuild a program in 1.0 was through position changes.  Made recruiting more fun too. 

Just my opine.

6/20/2013 8:44 PM
Posted by fastec27 on 6/20/2013 3:45:00 PM (view original):
I've tried two different gameplans against SIMs and no dice. Lost both games and believe there is a big enough difference in talent that it shouldn't be happening. Anyone else struggling against mighty SIM? 
Lost to a SIM for the first time ever in 3,0.  To me, the tinkering is leading back to 2.0 -- artificially evening the playing field. Talent should rule. Period. When it doesn't, there's a serious flaw....
6/20/2013 8:46 PM
For freesteagle - +1 to all of your suggestions.

Still many other problems with 3.0 as well.
6/20/2013 10:08 PM
Posted by bjaygee on 6/20/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Lost to a SIM for the first time ever in 3,0.  To me, the tinkering is leading back to 2.0 -- artificially evening the playing field. Talent should rule. Period. When it doesn't, there's a serious flaw....
I lost to SimAi 3.0 yesterday...I tested the game 30 times and won 27 of them but lost the one that actually counted.
6/21/2013 7:09 AM
Posted by bjaygee on 6/20/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):

Totally agree with cebrake's comments too.  Right now 3.0 is worse than it was 4 months ago.  It certainly doesn't feel like this project is headed in the right direction.
6/21/2013 10:28 AM

I have ran 10 test games and won all of them, most by at least 2 TDs.  So what do you think the halftime score against the same D1AA sim is?  31-10 them...forget the massive advantage my team has.

6/21/2013 11:01 AM
Two teams and I've yet to lose to a SIM . One of the biggest complaints I read, over and over, about 2.0 was coaches losing to SIMS and the game/game planning not meaning anything. I'll ask the same question now that I did then. If this is true, why do the same coaches win game after game, year after year?
6/21/2013 12:28 PM (edited)
Posted by coach_deen on 6/21/2013 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Two teams and I've yet to lose to a SIM . One of the biggest complaints I read, over and over, about 2.0 was coaches losing to SIMS and the game/game planning not meaning anything. I'll ask the same question now that I did then. If this is true, why do the same coaches win game after game, year after year?
I'm not a newbie.  I've played through multiple iterations of GD, and won over 1000 games.  My career winning percentage is north of .700.  I also have two NCs on the Beta platform.  Unless your resume looks a whole lot better, I'm thinking I may know a little more about the game than your post might suggest. 

There are better coaches than I am, but they study the game a lot more and harder than I do.  I'm not a stat freak or a computer nerd.  What I can understand, though, is that an OL with a close to 10 point advantage should steamroll the DL.  And that WRs with a huge speed edge should get open more, particulalrly on deep throws.  Those things make sense to me. Not being able to take advantage of those mismatches is the hallmark of 2.0. With normalizing player attributes and dumbed down formations, it was built specifically to give new players and less talented teams a better opportunity to win. 

When a SIM won the D1A championship in 2.0, over human competition, it became obvious that talent and gameplanning meant nothing. Because of the whining, there's now a stink of normalization in 3.0 too. Great teams can't be great.  Good recruiting and talent advantages have gone back to being unimportant.  Which is why I left GD in the first place.

If Fox wants GD to be the equivalent of a roulette wheel or a throw of the dice and artifically rigged to let lesser teams compete, I'm out. 
6/21/2013 12:34 PM
Not sure where you're going with this. The coaches who have posted in this thread before you have a combined 464 CC's and 86 NC's. Cebrake is one of the best coaches in the game. Not trying to start anything. I'm just not sure what you're asking.
6/21/2013 12:37 PM
Posted by bjaygee on 6/21/2013 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a newbie.  I've played through multiple iterations of GD, and won over 1000 games.  My career winning percentage is north of .700.  I also have two NCs on the Beta platform.  Unless your resume looks a whole lot better, I'm thinking I may know a little more about the game than your post might suggest. 

There are better coaches than I am, but they study the game a lot more and harder than I do.  I'm not a stat freak or a computer nerd.  What I can understand, though, is that an OL with a close to 10 point advantage should steamroll the DL.  And that WRs with a huge speed edge should get open more, particulalrly on deep throws.  Those things make sense to me. Not being able to take advantage of those mismatches is the hallmark of 2.0. With normalizing player attributes and dumbed down formations, it was built specifically to give new players and less talented teams a better opportunity to win. 

When a SIM won the D1A championship in 2.0, over human competition, it became obvious that talent and gameplanning meant nothing. Because of the whining, there's now a stink of normalization in 3.0 too. Great teams can't be great.  Good recruiting and talent advantages have gone back to being unimportant.  Which is why I left GD in the first place.

If Fox wants GD to be the equivalent of a roulette wheel or a throw of the dice and artifically rigged to let lesser teams compete, I'm out. 
This. Well said, sir.
6/21/2013 1:00 PM
I have NEVER lost to a SIM, and  as of today I have played exactly 5600 games + the beta crap, and won a beta NC, and lost in another NC game. I've figured out how to win at beta (for the moment).  But this beta is much worse, a lot more time consuming, and more random  than v1 or v2. And again, a human coached team beating all SIM recruits by 7 or 10, to me is not realistic. I realize that college upsets occur. Maybe Georgia State will beat Alabama on Oct 5. Probably not, and I don't think it will be a 10 point game either.
6/21/2013 1:08 PM
Posted by dewagne on 6/21/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):

I have ran 10 test games and won all of them, most by at least 2 TDs.  So what do you think the halftime score against the same D1AA sim is?  31-10 them...forget the massive advantage my team has.

I am assuming you have only been in D1AA for 1 recruiting cycle... Is that true? If so, are you sure there is a 'Massive Advantage' in your team over a sim team? I wouldn't think that was the case. Maybe a very small, slight advantage but not a 'massive' one. You have 1 class of freshman recruits.... are you starting all of those freshman and are they really better then all the upperclassmen?

I am also in D1AA - 1 recruiting cycle and have ranked my teams vs. the Opposing Sims. The talent difference is definitly not massive. and a lot of cases the Sims are better in some positions then me.
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.