7/15/2013 12:29 PM
Good afternoon Gentlemen, 
I wanted to write you today to let you know what was happening on our front. We have been working on altering the UI to make the flow for the coaches much easier, and I have also been chugging away on the engine. Most of the changes I have made to this point are to correct some of the issues that currently exist, but more than that have been to create a flow within the code that will allow me to change the results in an efficient manner. Up to this point I have not been able to reliably change values and get the results for which I had been looking. We are going to put a release out here either today or tomorrow that will have a significant number of changes. This includes creating less anomalies in the probablistic determination of the current game. It also includes fixes to the Deep passing game, adding fatigue to interceptions and completion percentage based on the targeted area of the quarterback. I'll also be finalizing some numbers in regards to data analysis of the system on a per game basis. Validating, and adjusting to create the appropriate feel for the game. Sorry for the delay, but this is a really big update, and something I've been looking to for a while. I apologize for not being responsive, but I didn't want to keep giving you a time frame when I wasn't sure when I'd have it complete. I'm putting some additional changes on the engine, and we are fixing up the UI and we'll have a release for you very soon. Besides that, I'll be able to analyze the individual game (or test game) results if you include the attributes to give you a more precise version of what should have happened in the game and that will give me a better feel for the direction of fixes that I need to address.

More information will be coming this week as we release the game, and I'll be checking back often this week to see the newer anomalies that discover. 

Thanks again. 

7/15/2013 12:32 PM
Well this is good news.
7/15/2013 1:50 PM
Thanks Oriole.  All of that makes sense.  I am anxious to see how the update runs.
7/15/2013 2:54 PM
Why are you wasting time on the UI?
7/15/2013 8:51 PM
Posted by cougdawg on 7/15/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Oriole.  All of that makes sense.  I am anxious to see how the update runs.

Agree!

7/16/2013 7:03 AM
Posted by slid64er on 7/15/2013 2:54:00 PM (view original):
I'd be surprised if the UI, didn't have to be changed in some aspect tio accommodate changes to the engine. Sounds like this maybe a whole new game. Here's to version 4
7/16/2013 9:11 AM
because its a cumbersome piece of crap

it wastes my time

so him wasting time on my wasting time is a wash anyway
7/16/2013 9:16 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 7/16/2013 9:11:00 AM (view original):
because its a cumbersome piece of crap

it wastes my time

so him wasting time on my wasting time is a wash anyway
+1
7/16/2013 10:24 AM
Exactly what Bagchucker said, it's really cumbersome and not very intuitive.  We are adding some tweaks to help people navigate through the structure with greater ease. It's not perfect (could still use some refinement), but we feel some of the changes make the UI a little easier to navigate. 

7/16/2013 3:20 PM
Wen will these "tweaks"be added in there
7/16/2013 10:44 PM
Looking forward to the update Oriole. I know myself along with some others have complained about the lack of communication from you, but I do want to thank you for the time and effort you're obviously putting into the game!
7/17/2013 1:27 PM
sorry for the dupe, should have probably posted this in here. 

First: 
State of Update: We didn't get the release out yesterday because a few bugs were found, sorry about that, I'm cleaning those up today and hopefully have something out tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Second:
Dropping some Knowledge:
Ok, one of the things I've been working hard on is trying to make the attributes more visible and adaptable(for me). One of the tools I'm working on is to get a better feel for what attributes are used for each position. Here is a generic list of the offensive positions and what fields they currently use. (Also, I didn't add fatigue because it is a dynamic field, and these are just the static fields that are used to get ratings. ) These are in no particular order per player and obviously the way they are used depends highly on the game plan and the location of the play amongst other things. Caveat: These may change by the time the game comes out of beta. 

QB - Strength, Technique, GameInstinct, Elusiveness, Athleticism
RB - GameInstinct, Elusiveness, Speed, Athleticism, Strength, Blocking, Hands
WR - Hands, Speed, Athleticism, GameInstinct, Elusiveness, Strength
TE - Blocking, Strength, Athleticism, GameInstinct, Hands
OL - Blocking, Strength, Athleticism, GameInstinct

One of the things that this allows me to do is to add different attributes to the specific situations to better evaluate the results. I'm setting up some tests to create a feel for how much tweaking these really matters. Today, I'm going to finish up the defensive stats first, and I'll try to post those on here tomorrow. Let me know if you think there is some attributes that you think should be included, or some that you can't find a reason that they are in there. 
7/17/2013 2:28 PM
I think you might want to look at ELUS for TE. (Gotta get off the line for pass routes), and SPD and TEC for OL (Gotta be fast enough to beat the back to the outside or backpedal fast enough to adequately block a speedy DE)

Just my .02
7/17/2013 3:59 PM
thanks heymon. I'll run a couple of tests and see if those factor in well. I was thinking of making Technique count for some in WR and RB too
7/17/2013 6:59 PM
I agree with heymon on the additions. Also, seems different attributes are more improtant in different parts of the play. Are you going to break them out and use some at different decision points, or are you just going to vary how important they are?
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.