All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Oriole... A problem with promising starts...
7/26/2013 8:29 PM (edited)
With my Carnegie Mellon team in Craven, I have a redshirt freshmen RB, William Sampson, who has a promise to start as a sophomore. Knowing this, last week when I set my depth chart, after switching back to the Advanced controls, I made Sampson the #1 FB on my depth chart and also selected him as a starter at the Player Settings screen. That is all I can do.

The season is now 5 games in and today I get an email from him complaining that he isn't the starter and I look to see that his Work Ethic is down 31 points. I look at his player page to see that he has been credited with starting only 2 of the 5 games that my team has played. After double checking that I had set things correctly, I thought that maybe I somehow just hadn't used a fullback during the first half of 3 of my games. Well I looked over the play by play to find that that wasn't the case. He has played plenty in both halfs of all 5 games. I use the ND Box about 50% of the time, so that isn't the problem.

Now as long as I'm not missing something here, and this is somehow a mistake that I've made, when you get the chance I would really appreciate it if you could give my guy back the 31 WE that he has had taken away from him, as well as the 3 or 4 extra that he would have earned by now from starting 5 regular season and 3 exhibition games as a redshirt freshmen.

Here is my team - http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/TeamProfile/PlayerRatings.aspx?tid=2375

Here is the player - http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?pid=297404

Thanks
7/26/2013 4:37 PM
Many others are having this problem. See forum post "Start". Resolution for all the harmed (even though this is a beta) would be appreciated.
7/26/2013 8:24 PM
Already a lot of discussion going on about this in another thread:

www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx
7/26/2013 8:46 PM
For what it's worth the ticket I got back say set ur starters in the player settings then use ur depth charts for the order.
7/26/2013 9:18 PM
Posted by starfinder77 on 7/26/2013 8:46:00 PM (view original):
For what it's worth the ticket I got back say set ur starters in the player settings then use ur depth charts for the order.
Been there, done that - still broken.
7/27/2013 12:16 AM
So in the tickets they are just denying that anything is wrong and refusing to correct the issue? That is hard to believe.
7/27/2013 8:58 AM
I thought the bug had hit me too, but I just checked my player settings pages and found that I hadn't set the starters there.  
7/27/2013 10:47 AM
I checked mine to make sure everything was correct as well. There is definitely a problem. With everything set, the player was actually credited with starting 2 of my 5 games, but not the other 3. There was no difference in how things were set up in any of the 5 games as far as I can tell.
7/27/2013 12:02 PM
Posted by fakelouholtz on 7/27/2013 10:47:00 AM (view original):
I checked mine to make sure everything was correct as well. There is definitely a problem. With everything set, the player was actually credited with starting 2 of my 5 games, but not the other 3. There was no difference in how things were set up in any of the 5 games as far as I can tell.
I'm with you and I think I figured it out. Check the formation of the first offensive play in each game.

For me:
Credited Start: 2 back set
Not Credited w/ Start: 1 back set

The FB is the only one to get the start in the games where the first play is from a 1 back set, even though the RB is the one on the virtual field, which is clearly very wrong. The workaround would be to use only 2 back sets on first down, but we definitely shouldn't have to do that.
7/28/2013 7:07 AM
Having the same problem.. Player even played 100% of the snaps and didn't get credit for the start.. Settings have been doubled and triple checked
7/28/2013 8:23 AM
Between the Starts and the TE's I'm beginning to wonder of oriole is even editing the right code.
7/28/2013 7:03 PM
Just got message #2 from a LB and now his WE has dropped from 41 to 11. Checked all my defense starters and although I have my starters designated in a 4-3 formation, the game has them in a nickel formation - two LB (the one left off is the whiney one) and 5 DB (one who isn't designated as a starter is getting starter credits). So it may be what we signed in as under the basic formation which has carried over to the advanced, but we can't go back and forth without the risk of losing what we designed?!?!?
7/29/2013 12:27 AM
This whole thing of adv vs basic is going to create serious problems. This should be separated into two different games
7/29/2013 4:10 AM
let me ask a personal question

what kind of dickweasels promise starts
7/29/2013 3:44 PM
The better question would be; Why would you not promise a start? If I know without a doubt that a recruit is going to be starting for me in his second season then I will always promise the sophomore start. Even if a player is already green to me I will often times still give him a promise to start just to make it that much more difficult for any other coaches to jump into the battle if they decide to make a run at him. Also, and this is just a personal opinion thing that probably isn't true but I still go by it, I have always felt that a player's work ethic improves a bit more if they are having a promised start fulfilled.

What is the negative that comes from promising a start? The only bad that I see that could potentially come from it is if someone were to come along and try to improve the game engine and in the process screw things up to a point where it is impossible to even set our depth charts correctly. But what are the chances of that happening?
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Oriole... A problem with promising starts...

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.