Scroll down if you are here for the poll.
Schmidt World has rolled for Season 19, as of October 8, 2013. We are happy to hear from prospective owners interested in joining us for Season 20...
A little bit about Schmidt:
1. Balanced competition: we have had 6 different World Series champions in the last 7 seasons.
2. Deep roster of skilled owners: of our returning 30, eighteen have won a World Series, and a few others are knocking on the door. Having so many experienced owners, there is frequent discussion about effective team craft, best ways to spend $$, and the deeper mysteries of player ratings.
3. (Relatively) low drama: we try to follow a low social-cholesterol diet that avoids public spats in the chat room. Trash-talking is fine if it stays good-natured.
4. Newcomers are welcome: we generally accept at least 1 newcomer each season, and Schmidt is a good place to learn. There is a lot of active discussion in Schmidt, both in world chat and via trade chat, and newbies can get sound advice about learning the game, and vets are generally very helpful with offering second opinions on trades. [Special note: second opinions - it's always sensible to be skeptical of advice from your prospective trade partner. There's no rule about it, but the commish (me) generally encourages newcomers to avoid trades until they have had a season of experience to learn the game and get an idea about the other owners.]
5. We discourage tanking: nay, we loathe tanking. All owners should make an honest effort to field a respectable big league team. This is enforced using a minimum win requirement (MWR) that owners must win 50 games in any single season or 120 games spanning any 2 consecutive seasons. Because no new owner should be punished if they take over a struggling team, new owners are exempt from the MWR in their first season.
Please sitemail your queries to the commish (me) or post below. We look forward to hearing from you!