9/27/2013 10:00 PM
Starting a new thread for any weird expanded play by play information that you see during testing. For this release I left in keys, they will look something like this 

[KEY:Initial_Run_RushInside]

If you notice something weird, or something that you don't like, please include this key to help me better investigate any possible issues. It has some information that will allow me to easily hone in on the problem.

Anyway, put anything that you are confused by in this thread here, and I'll give it a look over and fix the issues and try to explain any confusion. 

Thanks

9/28/2013 6:53 AM
Hankins deep then behind the LOS.........Gardner can't get the pass off to Hankins (Owen) at the MU 49 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_Open] The defense has heavy pressure on Gardner. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Latham (Chung) is well covered at the MU 26 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_WellDefended] Gardner throws to Hankins ( (none)) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). 

Sacked by Tackler..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Gardner is sacked by Tackler for a loss of -6 yards. [KEY:StepPass_Sacked]

Sacked by tackler..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Jenkins is sacked by Tackler for a loss of -3 yards. [KEY:StepPass_Sacked]

Sacked by tackler..........[KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] Jenkins is sacked by Tackler for a loss of -8 yards. [KEY:StepPass_Sacked]

This one is pretty obvious..........Gardner throws to Frost (Green) at the UH 7 (Medium). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Frost makes the diving catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach_Tackled] Frost slips the tackle of Tackler and gets into the end zone. 15 yards gain. [KEY:Touchdown_WeakTackle] TOUCHDOWN.

2 consecutive plays my player is tackled short of where the catch was made..........[KEY:StepPass_Hold_VeryShort] Jenkins throws to Holmes (Stringer) at the UH 38 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Holmes reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach] Holmes is tackled by Freeman at the UH 36 . 1 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle]..........NEXT PLAY..........[KEY:Initial_Pass_Shotgun] Jenkins throws to a covered Smith (Thomas) at the UH 40 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Smith makes the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_OnTarget] Smith is tackled by Freeman at the UH 37 . 1 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle]

Player tackled short of where catch was made..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Gardner throws to Hankins (Henderson,Owen,Chung) at the UH 23 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Hankins reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach] Hankins is brought down by Henderson on a strong tackle at the UH 25. 13 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_StrongTackle]

No pass shown?..........Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass] John Jenkins lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. [KEY:Initial_Pass_Shotgun] Alexander reaches up to pull in the catch in the end zone. 23 yards on the play. [KEY:Touchdown_StretchToReach] TOUCHDOWN.

Sacked by tackler..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Gardner is sacked by Tackler for a loss of -7 yards. [KEY:StepPass_Sacked]

This is the entire play. No tackle shown, then the next play started at my opponents 32 yd line..........Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsRun] John Jenkins takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] The defense is starting to get pressure on Jenkins. [KEY:StepPassPressure_ModeratePressure] Jenkins throws to Smith (Ramos,West) at the MU 10 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Smith reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach]

Again this is the entire play, didn't finish..........Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsPass] Chris Hudson takes the handoff and rushes inside. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushInside] Hudson makes his way through the blocking at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseModerate]

Tackled short of where catch was made..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Jenkins throws to Smith (Howard) at the MU 37 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Smith pulls in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_SlightlyOffTarget] West gets a hand on Smith to bring him down at the MU 39. 16 yard gain. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_WeakTackle]

Tackled short, shows no gain but the next play starts as if it was a 4 yard gain..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Jenkins throws to the wide open Smith ( (none)) at the MU 26 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_WideOpen] Smith pulls in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_SlightlyOffTarget] Smith runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. No gain on the play. [KEY:Step_RanOutOfBounds_NoGain]

Massey is covered at the 19 then catches the pass at the 35..........[KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Massey (Henderson,Owen) is covered at the UH 19 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] Hankins (Henderson,Owen,Chung) is covered at the UH 27 (Medium). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] Gardner throws to a covered Massey (Henderson) at the UH 35 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Massey reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach] Massey is tackled by Williams at the UH 36 . 2 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle]

9/28/2013 5:47 PM (edited)

I observed all of the above noted by deen. Add these to the ???headscratcher??? list:

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsPass] Ricky Lewis takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside] Lewis makes his way through the blocking at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseModerate] Lewis gets to the line. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_EqualBlocking] Lewis is tackled by Gilbert at the 50 . 2 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle] - Many of these - rushes wide but has to make it through the line first.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass] Nathan Gibson lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. [KEY:Initial_Pass_Shotgun] Wheeler (Marshall,Gilbert,Gilliam) is covered at the VT 34 (Medium). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] The defense is starting to get pressure on Gibson. [KEY:StepPassPressure_ModeratePressure] Harris (Marshall,Gilbert,Gilliam) is covered at the VT 38 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] Lewis (Roe,Gilbert,McAllister) is well covered at the VT 45 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_WellDefended] The defense has heavy pressure on Gibson. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Gibson rolls out of the pocket. [KEY:StepPass_Rollout] Gibson throws to a covered Wheeler (Roe,Gilbert,Gilliam) at the VT 46 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Wheeler pulls in the catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_SlightlyOffTarget_Tackled] McAllister gets a hand on Wheeler to bring him down at the USC 33. 44 - 1) Gilbert seems to be covering everyone on this play - 2) another example of 0 yards on the play and yet a 44 yard gain at the end.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. Blitz by Brooks. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass_Blitz] Nathan Gibson takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] The defense has heavy pressure on Gibson. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Gibson rolls out of the pocket. [KEY:StepPass_Rollout] Gibson doesn't see the wide open Harris ( (none)) at the VT 25 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_WideOpen] Gibson throws to Lewis (Marshall) at the VT 21 (Short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Pass is knocked down by Marshall. [KEY:StepPass_Defended] INTERCEPTION by USC (Andrew Marshall) at the VT 21. [KEY:InterceptionNoReturn_1] - Pass "knocked down" but then intercepted.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Blitz by Cruz. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsPass_Blitz] Ralph Houston takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside] Houston hits the hole at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseStrong] Houston gets a strong offensive push at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_OffenseStrong] Houston is tackled by Turner at the VT 11 . 3 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle] - Another case of rushing wide and then hitting the hole at the line.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Short. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass] Dennis Allen takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] Hines (Cleveland,Williams) is covered at the VT 29 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Hold_ModeratelyDefended] The defense is starting to get pressure on Allen. [KEY:StepPassPressure_ModeratePressure] Allen throws to Crosby (Crosby) at the VT 32 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Crosby makes the diving catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach_Tackled] Crosby is tackled by Christie at the VT 31 . 15 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle] - Another of 0 yards on the play and then 15 yards on the play.

Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsRun] Ernest Tate takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside] Tate breaks through the defense at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_DefenseModerate] Tate is stopped behind the line by Davis for a loss of -1 yard. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_Loss] - RB breaks through the defense at the line - but is then stopped behind the line for a loss.

Houston gets a strong offensive push at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_OffenseStrong]  - I like this type of text and we should have some reference to the OL vs DL battle for most plays. Example above would be for OL > DL. Comment about "Offense has the defense at a standstill at the line" for equal and "Defense is breaking through the line" for a DL > OL would be a good indicator for which side is winning up front.

9/29/2013 11:13 AM
From 3rd and 5 - no gain to 1st and 10 and 17 yards down the field?

7:59 33 3rd & 5   OFF: I-Formation    DEF: 4-4

Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsRun] Robert Rosado takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] The defense has heavy pressure on Rosado. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Rosado throws to Reece (Gaston) at the UT 20 (Long). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_Open] Reece reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach] Reece runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. No gain on the play. [KEY:Step_RanOutOfBounds_NoGain]

0 7
7:30 16 1st & 10   OFF: I-Formation    DEF: 4-3

Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsRun] Russell Morgan takes the handoff and rushes inside. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushInside] Morgan makes his way through the blocking at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseModerate] Luna gets a hand on Morgan to bring him down at the UT 13. 3 yard gain. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_WeakTackle]

9/29/2013 8:09 PM
14:50 Own 34 2-10   OFF: Shotgun: Default    DEF: 4-3: Default

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass]
Edwin Sharp lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. [KEY:Initial_Pass_Shotgun]
The defense has heavy pressure on Sharp. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Sharp rolls out of the pocket. [KEY:StepPass_Rollout]
The defense has heavy pressure on Sharp. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Sharp throws to a covered Paul (Cunningham) at the KC 22 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Paul makes the diving catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach_Tackled]

Similar to bjaygee's situation above. 2 down 10 to go, completed pass for zero yards, but caught at the 22, but the next play was first down from the 22. So the yardage indicator is not working in this instance. 

9/29/2013 8:35 PM (edited)
5:00 Own 25 1st & 10   OFF: Pro-Set    DEF: 4-3

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsPass] Matthew Gibbons takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside] Gibbons makes his way through the blocking at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseModerate] Gibbons makes his way to the outside. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_OffenseModerate] Gibbons is tackled by Scott at the UO 26 . 1 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle]

Odd= Matthew Gibbons takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside] Gibbons makes his way through the blocking at the line.  Gibbons is running through the line for a rush wide.  Shouldn't this play favor the Offense since the Defense is lined up for a pass with a cover Long and the [KEY:step] for the defense is Run_InsideLine. (Offense has the rating advantage)

9/30/2013 11:09 AM
Seems like some of the logic is off if the PBP is going in and out on the same play.
9/30/2013 5:02 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. 

There are quite a few issues here, and I have most of them figured out. Most are merely reference issues. 

The sacks is using the wrong tackler. That's fixed.

The yardage showing 0 yards gained, and then gaining 22 yards is also just a misuse of the yards. I didn't actually fill out the yards field till the play was done, and therefore on the pass completion sometimes it would say 0 yards. This is fixed too. 

The breaks through the line thing is similar to what it was before, and the string was misplaced. It's actually the start of the play, and it's keying off the position, so it's always inside the line. I've eliminated that line, and it reads much better. 

Not finishing. This actually isn't a big deal. Most likely it means there is a case (or key)  that I didn't create a string for. I'll try to find the ones that slipped through and make them finish correctly. 

These are the 3 that are most concerning to me, and the ones that I'm fixing immediately.
1. Targeting a player and throwing to him at a different location. Currently we only use the previous segment to make sure we are not targeting a previous player. This seems to have never been vetted properly. I'm going to change the structure to store every receiver that was targeted and if we can't find an open receiver and we choose one that we already looked at then it will throw to him at the current location.

2. Knocked down and then intercepted. Or tackled and then slipped into the endzone. This is a flow problem and somewhere is likely missing a check to see if the play is dead. I'll go through the touchdown and interception logic to find out where the hole is. 

3. Tackling short of where the catch is made. I guess I didn't get rid of enough of the random decisions, ha. Each step of the play we recalculate the random decision on what the yardage is based on the location of the pass. This should be stored and referenced at the end. Shouldn't be too big of an issue to fix. 

Hopefully I'll get all of these wrapped up and out on wednesday, and we can see where we are. 

10/1/2013 9:59 PM
On this play, the last line is "Tackler can't wrap up Wilkins".  It looks like the play doesn't run til finish and there is zero yards on the play.

1:01 3 3-3

OFF: I-Formation: 1 DEF: 4-3: Default
Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsRun]
Christopher Wilkins takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside]
Wilkins hits the hole at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseStrong]
Wilkins gets a strong offensive push at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_OffenseStrong]
Tackler can't wrap up Wilkins. [KEY:Step_TackleAvoided]
28 0
0:57 3 4-3
William Clark makes the 20-yard field goal attempt. [KEY:FGAMade_1]
10/2/2013 10:59 AM

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass] Mark Griffin takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] The defense has heavy pressure on Griffin. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Griffin throws to Mejia ( (none)) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_VeryShort_WideOpen] Mejia reaches out to pull in the catch. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach]

OK, he caught the pass. Then what happened?

Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsRun] John Anderson takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass] The defense has heavy pressure on Anderson. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Anderson throws to a covered Joiner (Adams,Patterson) at the AC 32 (Medium). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Joiner makes the diving catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach_Tackled] Joiner is tackled by Holman at the AC 39 . 15 yards on the play. [KEY:Step_PlayDead_GoodTackle]

He makes a diving catch and is down for 0 yards but he gets tackled 15 yards later. Is this college or pro?

10/4/2013 6:33 PM
OFF: I-Formation: Default    DEF: Nickel: Pass
Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Snyder. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsRun_Blitz]
10/4/2013 6:40 PM
OFF: I-Formation: Default    DEF: Nickel: Pass
Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Long. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsPass_DefenseCallsPass]
Michael Holloway takes the snap and drops back to pass. [KEY:Initial_Pass]
The defense has heavy pressure on Holloway. [KEY:StepPassPressure_HeavyPressure] Holloway throws to a covered Bailey (Henderson,Saenz) at the UM 8 (Deep). [KEY:StepPass_Throw_ModeratelyDefended] Bailey makes the diving catch and is down. 0 yards on the play. [KEY:StepPass_Complete_StretchToReach_Tackled]
Bailey slips the tackle of Tackler and gets into the end zone. 29 yards gain. [KEY:Touchdown_WeakTackle]
10/7/2013 4:13 PM
Posted by slid64er on 10/1/2013 9:59:00 PM (view original):
On this play, the last line is "Tackler can't wrap up Wilkins".  It looks like the play doesn't run til finish and there is zero yards on the play.

1:01 3 3-3

OFF: I-Formation: 1 DEF: 4-3: Default
Defense lines up for a run. [KEY:Initial_Defense_OffenseCallsRun_DefenseCallsRun]
Christopher Wilkins takes the handoff and rushes wide. [KEY:Initial_Run_RushOutside]
Wilkins hits the hole at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_InsideLine_OffenseStrong]
Wilkins gets a strong offensive push at the line. [KEY:Step_Run_OutsideLine_OffenseStrong]
Tackler can't wrap up Wilkins. [KEY:Step_TackleAvoided]
28 0
0:57 3 4-3
William Clark makes the 20-yard field goal attempt. [KEY:FGAMade_1]
I'm continuing to have plays that don't finish.  The next play always shows no gain even though there was never a tackle on the previous play.  Is this being addressed?
10/8/2013 7:58 PM
13:47 Own 23 1st & 10   OFF: Pro-Set    DEF: 4-4

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Shelton. Douglas Fernandez takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense is starting to get pressure on Fernandez. Fernandez throws to Welsh (Young) at the ULL 41 (Long). Welsh reaches out to pull in the catch. Welsh runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. No gain on the play.

Throws to Welsh at the ULL 41 and pulls in the catch but runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage for no gain?  

8 1st & 8   OFF: Pro-Set    DEF: 4-4

Defense lines up for a run. Douglas Fernandez takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense has heavy pressure on Fernandez. Fernandez throws to Wallace (Matthews,Shelton) at the A 3 (Short). Wallace makes the catch. Wallace slips the tackle of Tackler and gets into the end zone. 8 yards gain. TOUCHDOWN.

Tackled by the Tackler!   That's usually how it happens!  

Yeah, this game is ready to take out of beta....NOT!!!   Looks like this might be my last season!  Recruiting was screwed up as far as being able to knock off sims,  PBP is still jacked up, you take away starters and playing time promises because you have them jacked up as well.  There was nothing wrong with setting starters the way it was!!  It looks to me like you have messed up just as much as you have fixed!  I would rather just stick with 2.0 and call it good enough!   You thought you lost a lot of coaches with the last version, wait until you cram this up their butts!
10/12/2013 1:34 PM
Was running a test game and noticed this:
11:35 Own 21 3-4   OFF: Trips: Default    DEF: 4-4: Default

Defense lines up for a run.
David Gardner takes the snap and drops back to pass.
The defense is starting to get pressure on Gardner. Gardner throws to Langford (Boyd) at the UT 35 (Long). Langford makes the catch.
Langford runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. No gain on the play.

0 0  
11:07 Own 35 1-10   OFF: Trips: Default    DEF: Nickel: Default

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. 
Larry Ponce takes the handoff and rushes wide.
Ponce is stopped behind the line by Little for a loss of -1 yard.

0 0

I throw the ball from the 21 to the 35, but the receiver runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage?  Luckily the next play was actually run from the 35 so it appears that the game engine thinks 0 YAC = Line of Scrimmage?
of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.