All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Overall game play as of 9/28
9/28/2013 7:07 AM
My first game after the last update was a minor disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I realize that there is much work to be done and I am very happy with the work oriole is putting into the game and the progress being made, so this is NOT a gripe session, just an opinion on where we're at. There were 143 plays from the LOS, which is very good. My problem is there was just too much offense. Only 5 punts the entire game, one RB rushed for 303 yds., a WR caught passes for 232 yds, etc. I believe part of the problem is play calling means too much as we already know, but that wasn't all of the problem. I believe the main issue is simply that the def. players ratings don't mean enough, but again, this is just my 2 cents, plus from what I understand oriole is working on these issues now.

All of this said, I truly believe we're heading in the right direction and will eventually get where we all want to be, and I believe it may help to keep track of where we are day by day.
9/28/2013 5:40 PM
I also feel that it is heading the right direction.

Some points: Still don't see effects of greater differences in OL vs DL rating playing that big a factor
Still don't like the coin flip all run - all pass defensive structure
Blitzers disappear from the play - didn't see anyone who blitzed make a tackle
DB still covering too many people
QB "under heavy pressure" still seem to get the same amount of passes completed and seem to get 2 - 3 looks sometimes after the pressure

BUT!
TE catching passes again
WR not running routes that weren't planned
Game flow seems to be better
9/28/2013 9:20 PM
i think it's playing pretty good right now   just need to clean up the inactive coaches, and get rid of having to manually set my starters.  can't this be combined with setting my depth chart?  just put the checkbox right there so i can do it manually if i want but make the default my starters.  
9/29/2013 7:47 PM
At D1A with a 9 point OL vs DL advantage - about 90% of my my pass plays rapidly proceed to "getting heavy pressure". With that advantage I wouldn't think that this would happen so often. OL is definately undervalued at present.
9/30/2013 5:32 PM
Coach deen. I agree, the offensive ratings seem to be a little more important than the defensive values. These concepts are important to me, and I think I'll be able to mess with a couple theories I have to improve these as I get the game more and more stable. As PBP comes around, I think you'll see some new improvements on these things.

bobprobert - Yes, Redhawk is working on getting rid of the checkbox and using the inherent value of the depth chart to determine starters.

Katzphang88 - Yeah, the OL and DL are kind of screwed up right now, but what you are seeing is a little misleading. The reason that you are seeing "getting heavy pressure" could be from the DL having good pressure, but it's also a function of the length of the play. If the QB has to check down a couple of times the pressure will continue to mount. Again, I'm not saying that should happen as much, but I'll try to get a better way to tell if the pressure is coming from length in the pocket vs defensive pressure to make it easier to distinguish. 

9/30/2013 7:09 PM
I said it before and i will remind everyone again...Vision is NOT improving in d3 for DB's.  I have been in top tier vision for a few seasons now and most other positions are 5 to 10 points better then db's.  Not to mention with the low participation I have enjoyed taking my pick in all positions at top tier vision with no other coaches being there except db's.  I am still at sim talent recruits for db's.  

This would make a huge difference in the flow of games at d3 in a few seasons from now.   IT IS BEING TOTALLY OVERLOOKED!!!
9/30/2013 11:28 PM
Recruiting has not been changed according to everyone (at wis). Its also notable that defensive back's in DIA are also 10 points lower across the board then other positions. 
10/1/2013 12:18 AM
Posted by noah23 on 9/30/2013 11:28:00 PM (view original):
Recruiting has not been changed according to everyone (at wis). Its also notable that defensive back's in DIA are also 10 points lower across the board then other positions. 
Perhaps a boost to recruits DB numbers is what we need to tone down some of the passing rather than the other tried (and failed) attempts at messing with the QB or other items.
10/1/2013 1:44 PM
Oriole, please don't make any updates to the current code base because there is too much offense.  This is what put us behind schedule for 2 months of the beta.  Lets get everything working and add penalties in and see how the game looks then.  Tweeking the game because of too much offense really decreased the running game the last time it was done and helped the passing game.  Right now I can at least run a balanced offense consistently.  I think once penalties get added in, it will smooth things out some.  In prior versions a running game gets stopped really quickly when a holding call hits.
10/1/2013 2:01 PM
I agree with dewagne.  You can run or pass with the present version and that's a huge improvement.  That said, DBs do have a significant talent gap and have had one for most of the iterations of the beta. It's why teams could pass 100 times a game with impunity.  Even so, things seem to be slowly leveling out and I'd like to see how this version plays with penalties, injuries, etc. 
10/1/2013 2:55 PM
I agree with the 2 posts above. This is the best the beta has played. I think emphasis being placed on defensive ratings would solve a lot of the offensive firepower that exists. Fix DB ratings and let us see how the game plays.
10/1/2013 3:01 PM
I am also in the fix the DB ratings, but I also think a tweak to the OL vs DL numbers need to occur. A much better OL vs weaker DL match-up is still too inconsistant.
10/1/2013 3:51 PM
In each of my games my OL is much better than the SIM DL and yest I gave up 10 sacks in one game and 7 in another. Plus my QB is pretty mobile. Seems SIM D are getting a ton more sacks.
10/1/2013 9:53 PM
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 10/1/2013 3:01:00 PM (view original):
I am also in the fix the DB ratings, but I also think a tweak to the OL vs DL numbers need to occur. A much better OL vs weaker DL match-up is still too inconsistant.
This.  The OL/DL matchups aren't working well IMO.  Almost everything winds up OffenseModerate regardless of talent.  I rarely, if ever, see DefenseStrong or DefenseModerate, EqualBlocking.  Then the results of OffenseModerate and Offense Strong yield little noticeable difference in play results.  Use all of the gradations and strengthen the correlation between the gradations and results.
10/1/2013 11:49 PM
Posted by bobprobert on 9/28/2013 9:20:00 PM (view original):
i think it's playing pretty good right now   just need to clean up the inactive coaches, and get rid of having to manually set my starters.  can't this be combined with setting my depth chart?  just put the checkbox right there so i can do it manually if i want but make the default my starters.  
Totally agree witht having check boxes on the depth chart page!
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Overall game play as of 9/28

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.