All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Gridiron Dynasty 3.0 Beta Open Thread
10/14/2013 4:06 PM
Even though this is beta, there is no reason Sims should be beating a human team  in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing many SIMs get past the 1st round in the live 2.0 version, let alone get past the 2nd round.
10/14/2013 4:39 PM
do we want talent to matter or do we want humans to always win? And for the record, Simmy is pretty easy to beat if you are even within reach of his talent level and gameplan against what you know Simmy's gameplan is. 
10/14/2013 5:14 PM
I would rather talent matter over humans winning.........and I am aware of how to game plan, this isn't my first season thanks. 
10/14/2013 5:23 PM
You said that there is no reason a Sim should beat a human team in the 2nd round of the playoffs. That kinda implies otherwise...thats all I was pointing out. 
10/14/2013 11:00 PM

There's also a couple of second round playoff games in Bava D3 and D2 where Cheyney and RPI are won by nearly 100 pts.  The coaches are top notch, but those kind of win margins feel like there is something amiss.

10/14/2013 11:09 PM (edited)
Posted by gr8flly on 10/14/2013 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Even though this is beta, there is no reason Sims should be beating a human team  in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing many SIMs get past the 1st round in the live 2.0 version, let alone get past the 2nd round.
Yeah, there's a huge amount of parity at the Argento DI-AA playoffs, and almost zero parity at the other levels.  Maybe the range of talent is different, but I found that a little odd.

To clarify, it is the quarterfinals and here's the spread of teams at each level:

DI-AA- 4 SIM, 4 humans.  Seeds left: #7,8,14,16,18,20,21,27
DII- 1 SIM, 7 humans.  Seeds left: #1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9
DIII- 1 SIM, 7 humans.  Seeds left: #1,2,3,5,9,11,20,23

Don't know if there's a specific reason for this, but I found it a bit odd.
10/16/2013 11:09 PM
Oriole, with formation IQ becoming a bigger part of the game, I have a concern I want to share.  Seems like I've seen a few of the stronger beta teams limit heir offense to a single offensive formation, which allows for more minutes to be put into individual attributes while still having high levels of formation IQ for the single offensive formation.  My concern is that this will be a trend, and coaches will "game" the system this way.  It's certainly fair, but I think it dilutes the product, much like 1.0, where the key to success was 8 RB's and 11 OL/DL.  Don't consider this an "issue" per se, but a watchout that comes from greater emphasis moving to IQ/Gameplanning.  
10/17/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 10/16/2013 11:09:00 PM (view original):
Oriole, with formation IQ becoming a bigger part of the game, I have a concern I want to share.  Seems like I've seen a few of the stronger beta teams limit heir offense to a single offensive formation, which allows for more minutes to be put into individual attributes while still having high levels of formation IQ for the single offensive formation.  My concern is that this will be a trend, and coaches will "game" the system this way.  It's certainly fair, but I think it dilutes the product, much like 1.0, where the key to success was 8 RB's and 11 OL/DL.  Don't consider this an "issue" per se, but a watchout that comes from greater emphasis moving to IQ/Gameplanning.  
I don't understand why choosing to use one offensive set is "gaming" the system. There's no requriement that a coach use multiple formations, nor should there be.  The strategy is universally available - anyone can do it if they wish.  It does allow a team to maximize formation IQ but it also simplifies defending that team. 

A coach, especially a paying coach, should have the ability to do whatever he/she thinks best positions a team to win. If that means using one formation or a 'trick' offense like the running shotgun or passing bone, so be it.   

And by the way, the key to success in 1.0 was not having 8 RB and 11OL/DL. It was having superior talent. 
10/17/2013 11:04 PM
My point is that the engine in 1.0 was geared towards running the football.  As a result, the superior talent was built with a strong stable of OL/DL/RB.  Back then, you only needed 6 DB's because nobody passed, and you combined your K/P.  No disrespect to anyone that was successful in 1.0 running the football 90%+ of the time, as I enjoyed success doing that as well.  But, it did deemphasize the need for gameplanning as I would agree that superior talent was most important.

I guess my concern is the chance that we all discover the secret to success is running a single offensive formation, which allows you to maximize formation IQ and individual attributes.  Hopefully, I'm wrong and formation IQ doesn't have a significant impact on the outcome of the play.  But if it does, then gameplanning isn't as important.  Teams can mix up running and passing, making it impossible to gameplan against, and essentially the outcome will be based on the team with the higher formation IQ, which is built off of a single formation philosophy.

The main point I'm trying to make is that I don't want to see teams that run multiple formations be at a disadvantage versus single formation teams,  In Bava, RPI and Cheyney rolled to the title with that very strategy.  Clearly, they have a huge amount of talent, but I believe part of that talent is fueled by running a single formation allowing them to maximize formation IQs and individual ratings.  

To be clear, I'm likely wrong, and I would be thrilled to find out I am completely wrong.  Nothing would make me happier.  I'm just calling this out to make sure this aspect has been given thought.   

10/17/2013 11:40 PM
I will say, I had a two formation strategy in 2.0, and have the same in 3.0. For that matter, in 3.0 there is so much flexibility in the gameplanning with formations you can use a 7 man front and turn it into an 8 man rush every play. You don't need a 4-4 to have 8 in the box anymore. 
of 4
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Gridiron Dynasty 3.0 Beta Open Thread

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.