Oh yeah, another change I made that I forgot to mention. It no longer silently fails when grabbing recruits. It used to be that if one thread failed on a search, the rest of the threads would chug on and finish. Then you'd end up with missing recruits or recruits with all 0's for attributes. I changed it so now if one thread fails, they all stop. If the tool is failing for you now, it's likely it was failing before as well, and you were ending up with missing data. It also used to be that if a thread failed a search, it would retry the same search 10 times before giving up. I upped that to 20 which is probably causing the slowness you're seeing.
Try using fewer threads and make sure you don't have something else on your network hogging up bandwidth. Also feel free to sitemail me errors from your error logs. If the timeouts are too common, I can try messing with the timeout settings.