All Forums > SimLeague Hockey > Theme Leagues > MLD Rules Discussion
4/8/2014 11:58 PM
Just throwing more ideas out there

1/ Scrap all the non playoff bonuses. At least this would make tanking a less palatable solution. Yes you can still go for a high draft pick to improve your team but at least it would take you longer to get back to the top. The weak teams wouldn't be affected - they are not getting these bonuses right now anyways. And it would be easier for the commish.

2/ Scrap the stratified non playoff bonus and go back to a flat non playoff bonus. What makes the 24th place team worse than the 17th place team? Right now the 24th place team has done a better job of losing but more often the 17th place team has weaker players and is in more need of player infusion. (Maybe someone could tell me why this flat non-playoff bonus disappeared in the first place)

3/ Institute a minimum point total to be eligible for the bonuses. I have seen this done in other progressive leagues. You could set the bar low at 25, or 30, 40. (I would go with 30, even my crap team this year has a shot at 30 points)

4/ Institute anti-tanking rules. Any team that intentionally tanks is not eligible for the bonuses. So what would a tanking team look like? Perhaps a team that benches 4 players with 100 def rating would be considered a tanking team. Gives you up to 3 players with 100 def that are able to be saved for a future season. So you could rest that 50 stamina 100 def player. But only up to 3.
4/9/2014 12:01 AM
I'm actually a bit surprised to see such little appetite for change given how badly the current rules are being abused.
4/9/2014 9:07 AM
You've at least hit on the crux of the problem, paul71. Everyone knows the league would be better, the scores would be higher, the playoffs would be less predictable if super teams were not able to be built. Games are not decided by who has the most greater players, but rather who has the most weaker players.

Now you have to find the owners who are willing to say, yes, OK, in the interest of the league I will agree to limit my ability to pump up my players. Human nature.

4/14/2014 11:14 AM
Perhaps we need to organize and setup a committee of some sort to discuss and possibly make decisions regarding MLD stuff.

I was thinking maybe a 6 person MLD committee with an elected representative from each division, who would represent their division's concerns and essentially be the voice of that particular division.

Just an idea.......although a negative to this would that it'd introduce a level of politics to the MLD and if real life is any indication, politics can sometimes get messy.  lol
5/6/2014 4:16 PM (edited)
I like OKP's playoff HERO idea :)

And I suggest we should consider making a ruling every team must dress at least 6 D-men and 12 skaters for 20+ games every season. I think this will be a fair tweak, it will not influence too heavy with tactics, but would indirectly address some issues imo. This should be rather easy to police. If implemented we should probably use forced retirements as punishment to those who for some reason fail to obey this rule.
5/6/2014 6:54 PM
Posted by rammers on 5/6/2014 4:16:00 PM (view original):
I like OKP's playoff HERO idea :)

And I suggest we should consider making a ruling every team must dress at least 6 D-men and 12 skaters for 20+ games every season. I think this will be a fair tweak, it will not influence too heavy with tactics, but would indirectly address some issues imo. This should be rather easy to police. If implemented we should probably use forced retirements as punishment to those who for some reason fail to obey this rule.
I agree with the minimum playing roster idea, but I don't agree with the numbers. I frequently only dress 5 d-men if one is injured, and if I have an abundance of say, right wingers, and I have a right winger out for a few games, I won't replace the injured player and let the other right wingers sub for him throughout the game. Perhaps dressing 16 as a minimum is a fair compromise?
5/7/2014 4:04 PM
Looks like it could be a good rule.  Just wondering how it would be applied.

Say the rule is there must be at least 18 players who played 20 games for your team.  For season 41 there are 3 teams that will not have 18 players reach the 20 game mark.

Say the rule is you must have at least 16 players on your roster at the end of the season that have played at least 20 games.  3 teams will not meet that criteria.

I'll use my team as an example.  There are 19 players that have suited up a minimum of 20 games for my team.  But there will be only 13 at the end of the season on my roster that will have made 20 games and increase salary.  So will I have beaten the rule because of so many trades, or would I be stung by the rule because I traded away 3 veterans at the end of the season for draft picks and prospects I would rather develop first before trading?
6/30/2014 1:34 PM
bump
7/5/2014 2:28 AM
Throwing out a few suggestions, in the interest of keeping the league rules simple and bringing a bit more parity to the results. I know there are no perfect rules, someone will find a way to bend any league rule created, but here goes.

1/ Eliminate the SC bonus. + 20 is too large of a bonus. It creates an artificial 3 year cycle of finishing at the bottom. It seems that only the teams playing for the SC bonus can achieve it, not the struggling teams it was originally intended to help out.

2/ Change the out of playoff bonus so that all teams out of the playoffs receive the same bonus. If the SC bonus is eliminated +10 across the board to the first pick for all non-playoff teams would be easiest to calculate. Should remove some of the incentive in going for the #24 position. Gives a decent boost to 8 teams that could use this extra bonus, and equals the improvements that playoff teams accrue during the playoffs.

3/ Add in a minimum point total to receive the bonus. Perhaps 40 point minimum. How you get to 40 points does not matter, what you do after 40 points does not matter. But at least all teams will need to put up a few wins. If you don’t make the 40 point floor there is no punishment, you just don’t get the bonus that might otherwise come to you.

Overall the rules are pretty good, and many of the rules already created are doing a good job in what they were intended for, such as the 20 game minimum to be eligible for the playoffs. These are just a few tweaks to try and get even more out of this league.
of 3
All Forums > SimLeague Hockey > Theme Leagues > MLD Rules Discussion

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.